First round ever, did you walk or ride

Rick Ottenbreit

Reaction score
Handicap
The "would you walk more?" thread got me thinking. I learned to play as a walker and think of golf as a walking game. Carts have their place, but I wish it weren't in front of me. So did you walk or ride and how do you feel about the subject now.

I honestly ride more than I walk because I play with my dad a lot and his knees can't handle walking 18. My first round was riding as I was playing with my dad & grandparents when I was like 15. That being said, anytime I go out and play by myself I always walk, unless the course is a cart only.

My first rounds were in high school where walking was mandatory. They wouldn't give us carts to drive which was a good thing. It's doubtful the carts would have made it back in one piece.

I rode...the tone for seriousness was set early

Only golfer in my family and started playing at 13 so I had to walk. My home course is long with big gaps between some holes, so now I ride. If I go somewhere that walking is an option and my group wants to do it, then I prefer it. I feel like your more in a zone walking to your ball and seeing your next shot from behind the ball for a minute or two on the walk up. Also short game I think you see more of the little things that are important.

I walked my first rounds, and still generally do.

I didn't ride until i took the game back up last year. Before that I walked

I learned to play on a small 18-hole executive course so we walked everywhere. I usually don't walk in the summer when it's hot. I start to walk more in the spring and Sept. and October when the weather/leaves start to change.

My first round was on caddie's day at the course I caddied at. I was 14 years old. I think it took over 20 years before I played golf from a cart.

Walked the first few rounds, iirc. Now, it often depends on who I'm playing with.

I walked. The course did not have motorized carts until about 7 years later.

I've never been in a cart. It isn't something that really tempts me. I find the price of playing the game already expensive without having to forkout additional costs for 'laziness'. Of course, I can understand people using them should they have some sort of injury/age complaint etc. Yesterday on a half course I saw a gentlemen in what could only be described as a 'private cart'. It looked like a tarted up version of a mobility scooter. Needless to say that I thought this guy was a complete and utter douche.

My two pence :)

It's fine to walk or ride. I usually try to walk, but this summer I was hampered by an ankle injury. I have riden every round since June 13th, even the 9 hole rounds. I have no problem with anybody who rides. I don't think anything more or less of somebody if the walk, or ride.

started walking. It was cheaper.
now I ride. All the time. I even hate the walking on cart path only days.

I started out walking simply because of the price. Depending on the course, I will generally walk. There are some real mountainous courses around here that I would not walk (and won't let you walk) but for the most part I walk. I feel like fatigue is part of the game and should be factored in to your score/handicap.

Back in the day, I walked my first round. I was was to young to drive. I think we used pull carts to get around. Once I was old enough to drive, I stopped walking. (Except for high school golf, we had to walk then.)

I would say start out riding and then move to walking. Just make sure that the course is on a 90* rule day. So you can drive to your ball.

Walked the first few years I played but have used a cart the last 10 years.

walked my first round and almost all of my rounds when i was in high school. but i don't barely walk at all anymore.

The "would you walk more?" thread got me thinking. I learned to play as a walker and think of golf as a walking game. Carts have their place, but I wish it weren't in front of me. So did you walk or ride and how do you feel about the subject now.

Mine was 35 years ago, but I'm sure I walked. If it were up to me, each course would have 10 carts for those over 70 or with a disability. Everyone else would be on foot. JMO of course.

Ride. I was like ten so I had to ride with my dad.

My first round I rode the cart and tend to at most places outside of my home club now. I walk my home club although it has carts. I never thought that I would like walking, but I really enjoy it.

My first round ever I walked with a pull cart when I was 12. Shot 126 on a short par 70 course with a birdie! I think all kids should walk courses but with pull/push carts. Carrying can get tough especially for kids growing up.

I rode with my dad, I was 10 I think. Hated golf from then till I was about 24, funny to look back on, I was just TOO competitive.

I walked, the course I started playing golf on didn't even have riding available, they had the little 2 wheel pull carts included in the price of the green fee.

I walked, but, I was too young to drive.

Back