Would you have reported him?

hjimzaf

I beat the Razr Challenge
Reaction score
Handicap
At the course we played today, the 18th hole runs parallel to the 10th hole. On the 18th hole, we watched 1 guy from the foursome in front of us pick up his ball, walk over to the 10th fairway and play it out. When we got to our second shot, we looked back and saw him tee off on the 11th. When we finished, I walked into the pro shop and reported the guy. The pro shop attendant then called the marshall on the radio to go find the guy. My fellow playing partners said I should've left it alone. I said that it was stealing and stealing makes prices go up. What would you do?

At the course we played today, the 18th hole runs parallel to the 10th hole. On the 18th hole, we watched 1 guy from the foursome in front of us pick up his ball, walk over to the 10th fairway and play it out. When we got to our second shot, we looked back and saw him tee off on the 11th. When we finished, I walked into the pro shop and reported the guy. The pro shop attendant then called the marshall on the radio to go find the guy. My fellow playing partners said I should've left it alone. I said that it was stealing and stealing makes prices go up. What would you do?

I wouldnt have done it but you did the right thing. It clogs up the flow of the golfers and I know for a fact that people get really pissed if you cut infront of them. Plus as you said...you payed for 18 not 27

I work at a course and would appreciate you telling me. It happens all the time at our course and it's hard to control. We lose a lot of money to theft of services and it also causes problems when people jump in front of others. We depend on our members to help us out with these type things and they do a pretty good job looking out for our course.

I would have left it alone.

That's not stealing, that's called being a golfer.

Years ago before the reservation system was instituted at Bethpage, the starters only worked until about noon.
It was common practice to finish 18 in the morning, walk over to one of the other courses (there are five) and if no one was on the first tee, we'd just stick a peg in the ground and off we'd go.

At another course, one time I finished 18 and walked over to the 10th and was about to tee it up when the head pro and a few of his buddies rolled up ready to play the back nine.
I looked at him and he at me and he said, "Go ahead, we don't want to hold you up".

I thanked him, teed off and played the back nine.

I've been doing stuff like that for as long as I can remember and everyone I've ever played with has as well.

I would never rat somebody out for that.

This course have memberships?

Years ago before the reservation system was instituted at Bethpage, the starters only worked until about noon.
It was common practice to finish 18 in the morning, walk over to one of the other courses (there are five) and if no one was on the first tee, we'd just stick a peg in the ground and off we'd go.

At another course, one time I finished 18 and walked over to the 10th and was about to tee it up when the head pro and a few of his buddies rolled up ready to play the back nine.
I looked at him and he at me and he said, "Go ahead, we don't want to hold you up".

I've been doing stuff like that for as long as I can remember and everyone I've ever played with has as well.

I agree that people who pay for 18 holes at our course do that all the time too. We have never badgered them about it. What bothers me is the ones who pay for 9 knowing they are going to play 18. We don't have staff to monitor their play like other places do and they know it. That's wrong.

You can't be serious? Most courses around here have replay rates.

No, public muni.

I guess things are just ran different down here. Even for the public courses they have different "passes" that can't be purchased for varying levels of play. So, honestly, if I would've seen it I wouldn't have given it a 2nd thought.

I wouldn't have. None of my business.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

I work at a course and would appreciate you telling me. It happens all the time at our course and it's hard to control. We lose a lot of money to theft of services and it also causes problems when people jump in front of others. We depend on our members to help us out with these type things and they do a pretty good job looking out for our course.

I agree. I work at a course as well and it says something to us about the people that let us know about stuff like this, and it tells a even more important story about the people that try to cheat the course. I would buy you a beer for letting me know and I would put the other guy out the door.

Not stealing? Really. Just goes to show that the honorable game of golf is played by many less than honorable people.

I might have. I don't want to see the courses cheat out of money. Plus, I paid for my full round, so that guy should too.

depends on the mood im in

That's not stealing, that's called being a dishonest golfer.

I can't believe you think this is ok. Do you also walk into another movie after your first one is over? Don't think that every golfer does what you do. If I'm going to play a second round, I pay for the second round.

And just because the head pro let you play, doesn't mean he knew you were playing extra holes or was ok with it.

I would've assumed he had paid for that. Guess I'm just naive.

If I would've known he didn't pay, I would've told the marshall. Good for you, OP

That. Just. Happened. (tapatalk)

Stealing a round of golf is not cool. At all. I belong to a semi-private club that is struggling in this economy. Believe it or not it costs a fortune to run and maintain a golf course. I see someone trying to steal a round at my club, and they won't get too many shots in before someone from the club will be approaching and asking them to pay up or leave.

It's probably Tiger Wood's fault. I've heard he's a real cheapskate.

Kevin

touchy topic so I better refrain

You did the right thing. That guy was basically stealing golf. Personally, Ive reported people to the clubhouse for playing more 3 seperate balls on the same hole (one of my golf pet peeves), so what you did is nothing.

You did the right thing. That guy was basically stealing golf. Personally, Ive reported people to the clubhouse for playing more 3 seperate balls on the same hole (one of my golf pet peeves), so what you did is nothing.

I'm not sure about that. If he was holding up play by doing that, I'd complain to the marshal. If he was keeping up, where is the harm?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

I'm guilty of sneaking a couple extra holes at twilite every now and again, if no one else is there. Ten and eleven go out and back to the clubhouse and it is a good way to use the last daylight. I'll even ask and they tell me to have at it. I get stuck with short rounds as often as not so it evens out. If I want to play 9 or 18 more during the day I'll just go and pay.
What would you do?
If he didn't jump in front of me I'd let the marshal worry about it. I don't know enough about other groups round to call it in. For instance I'll skip 10 and 11 to leapfrog over slow groups and play them after 18.

You did the right thing. Most ppl would have looked the other way but you stood up for want you felt is right.
Playing more than you paid is steeling and trespassing if truth be told. If ppl want to think its ok....so be it!

---
- Brought to by iPhone 4 powered by Tapatalk

Sometimes when I am playing alone, and there is a good gap between me and the group behind me I will play a few different balls. I do it to test the performance of different balls as well as just getting more practice in. I never thought of it as stealing.

I'm a golf course employee too, but on my home course it's unlikely that he would get past me. The 10th tee is just to the left of my booth, the 18th green is right in front of me, and the 9th green is to my right. Part of my job is to record the time each group turns and finishes. Since I also check all players in, I know how many holes they've paid for, and I know what group is due on the turn and who is due to finish in 18. When someone shows up unexpectedly on the 10th tee, I'm on it immediately. I've sent the ranger up the 10th fairway many times after someone who only paid for 9 and thought he could get lost in the shuffle when the rest of his group had paid for 18.

One time this year it was a twosome that made the turn, both only having paid for 9. The ranger was busy elsewhere (we have 36 holes of golf on the property), so the head pro grabbed a cart and went out to check on them. They promised to pay when they finished, and the pro told me to watch for them on 18 when they came in to be sure that they did. However, they never came up the 18th and the ranger couldn't find them anywhere, even though they were seen still playing on 16. What we figured was that they played 17, then cut across our Par 3 course to the parking lot and headed home. The one mistake they made was paying by credit card. The head pro just pulled their credit slip and changed the charge to 18 holes. So they got charged for 18, but only got to play 17.

Another favorite is one guy paying for 18 holes riding while his buddy pays for 18 walking. By the time they are on #2 both will almost always be riding. The ranger watches for that stuff. We have a time card that is placed on each cart with the starting time and the number of paid riders in the cart - the card can be seen from 200+ yards away with binoculars. When the card says one and there are 2 occupants.... :nono:

People try to get away with stuff like that all the time, and we have pretty much seen it all and it's rare that we fail to catch them at it any more.

Reported him...or atleast made the pro shop aware of the "problem" you made the right decision in my opinion.

Back