Late release, Hip rotation....

Bear4ever

Payne Stewart, 10/25/99
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN ^v^v
I went to a GolfTEC session last Fall in East Tennessee which followed a Driver fitting session in Columbia, SC. In both cases I was told that I had a late release with my hands and also that my hip rotation near ball contact was less than desirable. I was told that these two things are contributing to some inconsistency's with my shot direction, reducing the distance or clubhead speed, and causing some balance issues on my follow-thru.
I really want to become a more consistent iron player and fix the balance issue but I'm not sure how to get there from here. I've been working on my flexibility in my core and also have been intentionally trying to clear my hips via rotation since last Thanksgiving.
I just hit some balls at the PGA Superstore this past Saturday and one of the first things the guy said was that I had a late release. :beat-up:
Can I get some tips or advice on how to begin making changes without investing an arm-and-a-leg into top notch first class instructions?

Last edited:
I went to a GolfTEC session last Fall in East Tennessee which followed a Driver fitting session in Columbia, SC. In both cases I was told that I had a late release with my hands and also that my hip rotation near ball contact was less than desirable. I was told that these two things are contributing to some inconsistency's with my shot direction, reducing the distance or clubhead speed, and causing some balance issues on my follow-thru.
I really want to become a more consistent iron player and fix the balance issue but I'm not sure how to get there from here. I've been working on my flexibility in my core and also have been intentionally trying to clear my hips via rotation since last Thanksgiving.
I just hit some balls at the PGA Superstore this past Saturday and one of the first things the guy said was that I had a late release. :beat-up:
Can I get some tips or advice on how to begin making changes without investing an arm-and-a-leg into top notch first class instructions?

Bear4ever,

The best thing to do is find a PGA Professional and take lessons. Tips and advice are good, but not everlasting. There is great PGA instructors out there for everybody's budget. Visit PGA.com and you can find a PGA instructor in your area.

Now having said that, Your best work would be to decide which one, the lack of hip rotation or the late release, is causing the bigger problem. You have to repair one thing at a time! I would want to know where the golf ball is going. Height? Curvature? Where it started? ETC? Then it will be easier to decide which one to repair first. So let me know what is happening with the golf ball is doing and we will go from there.

Lance West
PGA Professional
GolfTEC-Minnetonka, MN

Bear4ever,

The best thing to do is find a PGA Professional and take lessons. Tips and advice are good, but not everlasting. There is great PGA instructors out there for everybody's budget. Visit PGA.com and you can find a PGA instructor in your area.

Now having said that, Your best work would be to decide which one, the lack of hip rotation or the late release, is causing the bigger problem. You have to repair one thing at a time! I would want to know where the golf ball is going. Height? Curvature? Where it started? ETC? Then it will be easier to decide which one to repair first. So let me know what is happening with the golf ball is doing and we will go from there.

Lance West
PGA Professional
GolfTEC-Minnetonka, MN

I've taken your advice. I have a 1 hour playing lesson this coming Sunday then a 1 hour follow-up lesson to review my golf, the swing, my goals, some video work, then we'll go from there. The PGA instructor has an indoor facility so the winter work should be able to happen.
I'm committed to being ready my next March. I can't wait!

You asked.
My ball striking and contact is solid and the contact is pretty consistent. The ball flight is mid-trajectory. My misses typically are 5 to 10 yards right or left, and that puts me in the greenside bunker or in the rough, or in the hazard.

Thank you!

Back