Leupold GX-3i & GX-4i

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
This is a Press Release. THP has received both of these new units and will have a review done for the home page very soon.

Leupold's® new GX®-3i and GX-4i golf rangefinders feature DNA™ (Digitally eNhanced Accuracy) engine technology and an infrared laser for instant measurements and accuracy to within six inches of the flagstick or other targets.

With both models, accuracy is displayed to the nearest 1/10th of a yard. Maximum ranging distance is 800 yards.

"These new rangefinders build on the success of our GX-3 and GX-4 models, utilizing our next-generation DNA engine to take ranging speed and precision to an even higher level," said Andy York, Leupold's vice president of sales, marketing and technology. "GX-3i and GX-4i employ the same advanced technology that makes Leupold the optic of choice for many military applications and other situations that require pinpoint accuracy at extremely long distances."

GX-3i and GX-4i can be customized to individual needs, and are designed to help golfers of all skill levels take their games to the next level.
The tournament-legal GX-3i is compact, weighing just 7.8 ounces, and measuring only 3.7 inches long, 2.9 inches high and 1.3 inches wide. GX-4i offers enhanced versatility with a removable Smart Key™ that adds the benefits of Leupold's True Golf Range™ (TGR®) and Club Selector™ features.

Each model features PinHunter® Laser Technology, which effectively filters out large background objects and zeroes in on the flag or pin for extremely precise and fast target acquisition. Golfers can select from three aiming reticles, choosing the one that works best for the intended target and usage. Distance can be displayed in yards or meters.

Other key features of both GX-3i and GX-4i include Prism Lock Technology™ and fog mode. When the rangefinder is in scan mode, Prism Lock Technology makes an audible beep upon identifying a high-intensity return from flagsticks equipped with specialized prisms (already used on many golf courses). With Prism Lock Technology, holding the rangefinder steady becomes less of a concern, and exact distance measurement is assured.

Fog mode enables the rangefinder to cut through mist and provide fast, accurate distance measurements.
When Smart Key activates the TGR and Club Selector features, GX-4i can provide accurate ranging information matched to the slope of the shot, atmospheric conditions and a golfer's personal hitting strength.

TGR allows golfers to compensate for uphill shots that play long and downhill shots that play short. Calculated from the laser-measured line-of-sight distance, incline or decline, trajectory of the ball, current temperature and specific altitude, TGR displays the adjusted "plays like" range. For example, a golfer has a lie of 150 yards from the pin but the green sits six degrees above the ball. Using advanced TGR algorithms to automatically account for each factor, the GX-4i indicates the shot should be played as if it were 164 yards.

When activated, Club Selector factors in the golfer's specific hitting strength and TGR to the target, automatically recommending the proper club for each shot. The user simply inputs his or her personal striking distance for three specific clubs and the GX-4i does the rest, even indicating when the distance falls between clubs.

Nearly as compact as the GX-3i model, GX-4i weighs 7.9 ounces, and measures 4.1 inches long, 2.9 inches high and 1.3 inches wide.
Both GX-3i and GX-4i have 6X magnification and offer a one-touch scan mode that allows users to sweep the landscape while continuously measuring distance. Additional features include fully multi-coated lenses for a crystal-clear image, an easy-to-read display and fold-down rubber eyecups. Each rangefinder is weatherproof and comes with a Cordura® holster, battery, lanyard and complete instructions.

Crazy to see how precise these things are getting. I like the GX-3 quite a bit. Looking forward to the review, JB.

• Admin
Hawk,
If you go to the Leupold website and click on media, they like your thoughts on the devices as well.

Wow, sounds like a couple very nice, high-end rangefinders. Any word on retail price? I know the GX-3 and GX-4 are $400 and $500, respectively.

• Admin
I believe $400 and $500.

Man I really want one of these for practice at the range. Too much cash for me though

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk

Oh wow I can't wait to see some THP pics and hear how these things perform. I'm dying to get a hold of a great rangefinder. I think it would be priceless to have.

Hope they moved where the yardage is displayed when looking into the viewfinder. Found the previous models difficult to see the yardage with trees in the background. Because of that I went with Callaway Nikon Diablo.

Hawk,
If you go to the Leupold website and click on media, they like your thoughts on the devices as well.
That's pretty cool.

I'll never need to know to the tenth of a yard, but it's crazy that these things have gotten so accurate.

Can't wait for the reviews, I need to invest in a good quality range finder.

These sound incredible. I've been putting off getting a range finder for quite some time (college budget) but that may change this summer. I would work some overtime for one of these. I look forward to your review.

I think I'd get just as much (if not even more) value from one using it on the driving range. I hate having to guess the yardages to the various flags. Some are marked but never very well and one of these would make practice much more effective.

Wow... these sound amazing. I just got a slope enabled rangefinder and I'm already having 'buyer's remorse' after hearing about these models. Accuarcy down to 6"? That's awesome!

I love my GX-4 and am looking forward to hearing the reviews on the new models!

Especially helpful on a grass range when they move tees around sometimes up or back up to 20 yards. Yardage one day is different the next. Laser is the way to go for sure.

Im thinking I might get a good deal on an older model GX-4 now that the new models have come out!

That's pretty precise. I wish my game was that dialed in

I think I'd get just as much (if not even more) value from one using it on the driving range. I hate having to guess the yardages to the various flags. Some are marked but never very well and one of these would make practice much more effective.

That is exactly why I'm always pondering one Jake. I think dialing in wedges would be a lot easier with a range finder

Tried these both out today and they were working quite well. If you liked the previous versions, you will love these.

Sounds like they improved the GX3 and 4 even more which is hard to do, they are fantastic rangefinders!

Leupold GX golf rangefinders

Leupold GX golf rangefinders

GX-3 was in play at Countryside CC on Monday. I was handed this hand size or Elf side canvas case prior to the round and asked if I wanted to test it out.
I'm not one to say no to testing so I took this little beauty from its case. It fits nicely in the palm of your hand with easy access to the bottoms that allow it to function. The outside is a black beveled material with polished chrome accents. It's a very classy, expensive looking piece of range finding hardware.
I wore sunglasses through out the round but was still able see fine through the view finder. When you do sight your yardage you are shown a 'Red' target to place on your object and then your yardage appears to the tenth of a yard. I know those fractions of yardage are important so they added it. You are also given a beep when it zeros in on it's target.
The accuracy is spot on as well. I say this because another handheld device was bring used at the same time I was using mine. I was with in a few tents of a yard due to the fact that I was either to the left or right of my playing partner.
Living and playing gold in Florida one can get pretty accustomed to GPS on the carts. It was nice to have it in the palm of my hand for a change. It really gaged how I played and what shot I hit into the greens. I'm not sure I hit too many full shots as I always seemed to be in that tweener yardage. Having what appeared to be such exact yardage was great.
My last rangefinder was big and bulky so it was nice to have game assist yardage in such a small format. It's small enough that if you wanted you could wear it on your belt for quick, never lost access. It could also be placed on your bag. We ran with them in the cubby space in the cart. The unit comes with a suggested retail of $400.00. Based on what I saw in the craftsmanship the price is right on point.

From the Company:

Legal for tournament play
Accurate PinHunter

Nice writeup Freddie! Seems like it makes it easy to zap your target with the sight system it uses.

It was very easy even with the sun glasses
Nice writeup Freddie! Seems like it makes it easy to zap your target with the sight system it uses.

Good right up Freddie, if you were to buy one today, would this be the one?

Back