Callaway Metal Woods - Morgan Cup Staff

Deciding to be pro-active, I went to the course today and borrowed a demo Callaway bag. Full on bag to see if I can get dialed in a little bit. Full report coming up shortly.

Deciding to be pro-active, I went to the course today and borrowed a demo Callaway bag. Full on bag to see if I can get dialed in a little bit. Full report coming up shortly.

very nice. Looking forward to your thoughts.

Great idea. Looking forward to your findings.

Look forward to some details.

Razr Hawk driver - Really like it. Sound is one of the best I have ever heard. Higher launching than my Srixon, but something I liked quite a bit. Definitely agree with everybody else about teeing it slightly lower. When I did that it was just a great performing club.

Octane 3 wood - Lurve it!!!! Used off the tee and off the deck today and had no problems either time. Easy to control, great height and just one of those confidence building clubs.

Razr Hybrids - Launch higher than the Mashie for me and you guys are all dead on about the sound. A higher pitched "ting" that I quite like. It is not the C. Kua shaft in a hybrid that I am so used to, but I found myself hitting it quite well and think it will be a nice addition and something I will use often at Reunion.

Good stuff JB. Sounds like you are seeing similar results to what I have been seeing for the last week.

Judging by your videos you weren't in the rough much, but did you get the chance to hit that hybrid out of the rough at all?

Just got back from the course for my first 9 holes with the 3 & 5 wood and 3 hybrid in the bag.

Used the 3 wood off the tee twice. Both times I was just off of the edge of the fairway. Distance seemed to be really good, I gps'd one at 231 and the other at 228. For me those are good yardages. The ball flew a little higher than my Wilson DXI fairway. The 2nd one I hit off near the toe, so I tested out the forgiveness on that one. The ball still flew high and leaked right, 228 off the toe I can live with that.

I hit the 5 wood twice. Both times from the rough. First time was on a par 5, 2nd shot was 215 to the front of the green. Hit a beautiful shot that hit in front of the green and rolled on to set up and eagle putt(which of course I missed, but made birdie). The 2nd shot I hit a high shot that I missed right. Still got good yardage out of it though. At the range the other night I struggled hitting the fairway wood off the deck, tonight I had no such issue.

Hybrid: Hit it once off a tee. On this hole there is water 220 out, usually I hit a 4 mashie or 5 iron depending on where the tee box is. Today I hit the 3 hybrid. I pulled it a little but overall it was a good shot. I GPS'd it at 215.

Good stuff ddec. I liked the unboxing too. Do those bells go off at night?

Razr Hawk driver - Really like it. Sound is one of the best I have ever heard. Higher launching than my Srixon, but something I liked quite a bit. Definitely agree with everybody else about teeing it slightly lower. When I did that it was just a great performing club.

Octane 3 wood - Lurve it!!!! Used off the tee and off the deck today and had no problems either time. Easy to control, great height and just one of those confidence building clubs.

Razr Hybrids - Launch higher than the Mashie for me and you guys are all dead on about the sound. A higher pitched "ting" that I quite like. It is not the C. Kua shaft in a hybrid that I am so used to, but I found myself hitting it quite well and think it will be a nice addition and something I will use often at Reunion.

JB, did you hit the Octane 3W because they course did nothave a Razr available or was it because you game it normally and are already comfortable with it?

im really interested in hitting some callaway gear after reading threw this thread

Little feedback from last night..

Razr Hawk Hybrids:
Starting to see a really nice, high and straight ballflight. The less you swing the more you get out of these. Really impressed with the ballflight actually. My miss is a hook (occasional slice) and while it showed up, no worse than the Mashie. I couldn't get over how easy they were to hit and from what I was seeing at the range, the distances are impressive and fit my gaps nicely.

Diablo Octane Tour 3w:
Rocket launcher. Starting to see some height on the shots and the sound/feel is like a solid crack. Again for a tour model the forgiveness is amazing and not one time did I tee up the ball to hit it. Easy transition from the hybrids because of the smaller head.

Razr Hawk Tour Driver:
After pulling my first shot and slicing my next, the results were the same as my round. Straight and long. Starting to see a little higher flight overall but again hard to tell at night. I did push one but it stayed on line pretty well. The low spinning head/shaft combo have really helped keep my misses in check and I'm starting to see a real benefit to not having so much spin on my shots. Even with my descending angle of attack, I've never hit a ball straighter or further.

I am extremely excited to take delivery of these, I will be getting the Razr Hawk 3 wood rather than the Octane but same driver and same hybrids. Every great comment from you guys has me getting more and more anxious. Thanks for the feedback Yoccos (and everyone else)!

Love the feedback on the Octane Tour 3w buddy....I concur wholeheartedly....it's a great option to have in the bag for off the tee or off the deck if needed

Little feedback from last night..

Razr Hawk Hybrids:
Starting to see a really nice, high and straight ballflight. The less you swing the more you get out of these. Really impressed with the ballflight actually. My miss is a hook (occasional slice) and while it showed up, no worse than the Mashie. I couldn't get over how easy they were to hit and from what I was seeing at the range, the distances are impressive and fit my gaps nicely.

Diablo Octane Tour 3w:
Rocket launcher. Starting to see some height on the shots and the sound/feel is like a solid crack. Again for a tour model the forgiveness is amazing and not one time did I tee up the ball to hit it. Easy transition from the hybrids because of the smaller head.

Razr Hawk Tour Driver:
After pulling my first shot and slicing my next, the results were the same as my round. Straight and long. Starting to see a little higher flight overall but again hard to tell at night. I did push one but it stayed on line pretty well. The low spinning head/shaft combo have really helped keep my misses in check and I'm starting to see a real benefit to not having so much spin on my shots. Even with my descending angle of attack, I've never hit a ball straighter or further.

If I didn't lust over that driver so much it would probably be my favorite club in the bag. So easy off the deck, probably the easiest I've ever hit.

Love the feedback on the Octane Tour 3w buddy....I concur wholeheartedly....it's a great option to have in the bag for off the tee or off the deck if needed

Mr 4Bird, can't wait to see you get these in. You hit both 3w's? Do you normally have a certain shot you like to hit with your fairway metals?

I am extremely excited to take delivery of these, I will be getting the Razr Hawk 3 wood rather than the Octane but same driver and same hybrids. Every great comment from you guys has me getting more and more anxious. Thanks for the feedback Yoccos (and everyone else)!

Good stuff ddec. I liked the unboxing too. Do those bells go off at night?

They do, but after living near a church for 5 years I have kind of blocked them out and completely forgot about them. Oh well.

im really interested in hitting some callaway gear after reading threw this thread

Anything in particular MattyK?

Jake I can't wait till you get to throw these in your bag. I was very impressed all around with my stuff last night.

Yoccos, is the transition from the M1 to the Octane 3W going ok? Have you had any challenges to work through during the switch?

Mr 4Bird, can't wait to see you get these in. You hit both 3w's? Do you normally have a certain shot you like to hit with your fairway metals?
You forgot the "Effin" it's Mr. Effin 4Bird. But anyway, yeah I hit both and the main reason I steered away from the Octane was just the shape of the head more than anything, it's not bad mind you, but in comparing it side by side to the Razr Hawk I liked the Razr better.

As far as a certain shot I hit with my FW, I love using it off the tee, particularly one the 18th hole at my course. I find myself using hyrbids more like on par 5s if I'm trying to get there in 2, but when I do need a 3 wood in I want one that I can hit off the deck decent too, I know the Octane is probably better for the off the deck shots, but the Razr should also fill that role pretty decent and offer me a little more in the tee ball area.

+1 Jake. I think you and I have almost identical setups for the event.

You know I thought it would be tough. I really was fond of the M1 and generally hit hybrids much better than any other club, but what I'm finding is the Octane is as easy to hit and a bit longer. I'm really digging it so far. It has the same type of flight path and I can feel the whole club a bit more throughout my swing. Makes me really think if I'll even look at the M1 again.

Yoccos, is the transition from the M1 to the Octane 3W going ok? Have you had any challenges to work through during the switch?

Thanks man for the input! Always curious on fairway metal choices. The two lines are very different with head shape and whatnot. The RH FW was a good FW too.

You forgot the "Effin" it's Mr. Effin 4Bird. But anyway, yeah I hit both and the main reason I steered away from the Octane was just the shape of the head more than anything, it's not bad mind you, but in comparing it side by side to the Razr Hawk I liked the Razr better.

As far as a certain shot I hit with my FW, I love using it off the tee, particularly one the 18th hole at my course. I find myself using hyrbids more like on par 5s if I'm trying to get there in 2, but when I do need a 3 wood in I want one that I can hit off the deck decent too, I know the Octane is probably better for the off the deck shots, but the Razr should also fill that role pretty decent and offer me a little more in the tee ball area.

So far away, yet you two are so similar! I love it.

Good info, bud. I'd assume you are hitting it further?

It sure seems that way. I want to put them side by side after the MC to confirm but I'm thinking it might be small (5-10 yards). I used to hit my FW's much further so it's possible it could be more. Just going off some eye ball estimates.

Good info, bud. I'd assume you are hitting it further?

I think you're right dude, Razr Hawk drivers and 3 woods, Razr X hybrids, Razr X Tour 4-AW, 54 and 58 degree wedges, D.A.R.T. putters. I guess this also means we'll play exactly the same too, that's pretty sweet, I could use a little boost like that!

I think you're right dude, Razr Hawk drivers and 3 woods, Razr X hybrids, Razr X Tour 4-AW, 54 and 58 degree wedges, D.A.R.T. putters. I guess this also means we'll play exactly the same too, that's pretty sweet, I could use a little boost like that!

you both hit it Jake straight too! :alien:

Looks like I'll be adding a little 5wood to the arsenal as well. Pretty stoked about that.

I am LOVING the Razr Hawk driver! I hit 10 fairways today, a new high. The lefty model only comes in the draw configuration. It definitely has helped tame my occasional slice. Note cure, just tame. I feel I have more control with the Razr Hawk then the Diablo Octane. I also didn't like the forged composite on the crown, it was too distracting. Here's to hitting it long and straight!

Back