Texas Get Together

Nate

My Friends Call Me Big Time
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Thought this would be a good place for Texas area THP'ers to come and post things from time to time about area golf courses, merchandise or maybe one day a Texas THP get together. I know with all the Morgan Cup talk over this last year, I've caught a post here and there from people asking, "We want a Morgan Cup in California or what about in Texas". Nothing will replace the Morgan Cup (nor should it) but might be cool one day to get together somewhere in our great state for a day or a weekend bash. Well, before any of that happens we have to find out who on this board is living in Texas!

Ok Gang, here is the information on who, what, where, when and how:

Rooms Left at Golf Course cabins: 5 spots left out of 12. Note: Best Western last reported had 6 rooms left.

Date: Saturday, March 17th and Sunday, March 18th

Location: Vaaler Creek Golf Club, Blanco, TX (about 35 miles southwest of Austin) http://www.vaalercreekgolfclub.com/. We have reserved 3 of the 4 cabins on the course that will sleep 12 people. They have another cabin that will sleep 2 more if we need (and barring no one else books by then). There is also a Best Western in Blanco. threeboysdad called and they have 7 rooms currently available for that Saturday night.

Time: 3:00pm Saturday and 9:00am Sunday. They have a tournament on Saturday at 10:00am but said we could be first out once the tournament is finished. Daylight savings also kicks in the weekend before so doesn't get dark till 7:30ish so should have plenty of time to finish on Saturday.

Cost: If you're one of the 12 staying at the golf course cabin, total cost for Saturday night stay and 2 rounds of golf is $115.74 which already includes tax. If you make other arrangements then I belive the golf is $30 a round.

Who: I will keep a running list of players that want to play here. Send me a PM or post in the thread and I'll put you on the list.

Staying and Playing (12 spots for on course staying.....could get 2 more if we fill up....first come first serve)
  1. threeboysdad - N. Texas
  2. 2Shoes - Woodlands, TX
  3. TripleBogieTim - Bay City, TX
  4. mhachtx - SA, TX
  5. texasgolfer - Dallas, TX
Playing and NOT staying
  1. jdjanda - Austin, TX
  2. Hunkbud - Austin, TX
  3. ROliver - Austin, TX
  4. jpalyman - Austin, TX
  5. SCORShawn - Austin, TX (Sat. round only)
  6. Nate - Dallas, TX (trying to play Sat. round)
  7. BigK29 - Houston, TX (TBD)

Last edited:
Good thread Nate! I am about 5 miles south of DFW airport in north Grand Prairie. Home club is Grand Oaks Golf Club in south Grand Prairie.

I know that we have a bunch of THP'ers in the Houston area and it would be cool to perhaps have a weekend like several other areas had this past weekend. Austin would be a great somewhat central place for a get together.

I live in southeast houston. started playing golf about 10 years ago but took about 6 years off and almost completely gave up and then convinced a friend of mine to go play one day and have been playing pretty regularly again. sadly i was down to single digit handicap right before i stopped playing and now i cant seem to get it back. I guess that means i just have to get out and play even more. i love this freaking game regardless of how much i say i hate it when im buried in some ridiculous lie.

I am in Rockwall and was a member at The Shores until they closed it down last year. Been playing wherever I can get on but mostly at Waterview and Buffalo Creek. Have played probably 30 of the golf courses in the area. If a get together is arranged between here and Houston I would do my best to get there. Or if anybody needs a fourth on a weekend I can get out just about anytime.

Houston here. Right around the Heights area. I normally play muni's but am expanding my reach.

Definitely good to have a get together, and I'm always looking for a group to play with, as long as you don't mind my suckage!

I would be interested, timing is everything of course. I am in west DFW. If we are including the whole state then look into Wolfdancer for a place to play. I have not been there but it looks great and it's somewhat in the middle.

I am up quite often in Plano for work, it would be cool to meet up with you guys

I am Southwest of Houston by about 60 miles and am always willing to take a trip and play a few rounds with some THPers!

I would definitely be down, my vote would be Austin, but I would be down to travel.

I am in Tulsa, but from Texas.

I would be willing to go anywhere in the Dallas / Austin area with enough notice.

I think Barton Creek Resort in Austin has a deal going on right now. $200 / night with all the golf you can play. They have 3 amazing courses to choose from and the resort itself is great!

Let's try and get this thing going while we've still got mild fall weather and the sun is still out until 6PM or so.

Another from Houston! Definitely in favor of this and I think Austin is a great central meeting place! I hope we can work out a weekend sometime in the near future to make this happen. And for the rest of us Houstonians, maybe we can work out something like once a month or so in terms of getting together and playing. Maybe have a small circuit of courses to play. Let me know what you think!

Thought this would be a good place for Texas area THP'ers to come and post things from time to time about area golf courses, merchandise or maybe one day a Texas THP get together. I know with all the Morgan Cup talk over this last year, I've caught a post here and there from people asking, "We want a Morgan Cup in California or what about in Texas". Nothing will replace the Morgan Cup (nor should it) but might be cool one day to get together somewhere in our great state for a day or a weekend bash. Well, before any of that happens we have to find out who on this board is living in Texas!

I live up in Frisco (soon to be Prosper) for the last 14 years, just north of the Plano area. Grew up in Georgetown (north of Austin) and have played golf since I was 12. I've got 3 kiddos now so don't get out as much as I would like but try and get out at least once a week. I play out of Eldorado Country Club, in McKinney now but have played almost every golf course in the North Dallas area.

Let's hear from the rest of you Texas crew!

I used to live in Plano. My brothers still live around the area. I'll be in Dallas over Christmas, and if the weather holds up we're planning on playing Tour 18 and The Tribute. They both seem like fun courses.

I used to live in Plano. My brothers still live around the area. I'll be in Dallas over Christmas, and if the weather holds up we're planning on playing Tour 18 and The Tribute. They both seem like fun courses.

Never played The Tribute, love Tour 18 though!

Another Houstonite. Will travel.

Hope someone in Houston is able to get out today...Wow at the weather. Absolutely stunning.

View from my office is making me depressed!
2011-10-18%2B10.19.04.jpg

Excellent courses! I know Tour 18 got hit pretty hard with the drought so make sure you check with 'em before you head out there. Tribute is a great course and you can score pretty low out there if you can make some putts. I'll see if I can post a pic my buddy sent me back in late July that showed the fairway out at Tour 18.

I'm escaping Friday afternoon to play. Suppose to be 77 high. Can't pass that up.

Hope someone in Houston is able to get out today...Wow at the weather. Absolutely stunning.

View from my office is making me depressed!
2011-10-18%2B10.19.04.jpg

Sorry...stuck at the office and hammered today (with work...not Miller Lite).

Tribute is a lot of fun but be ready for some very fast greens. I played there a few months ago and it took me about 4 holes to get used to the speed and then I was fine. I think I tripled 3 of those first 4 and maybe one other later. I haven't been over to play Tour 18 in a long time so I can't help there.

Quite a ways from the bulk of you, but I live out in Midland. I play once or twice a week just at the muni's out here. I have family down I-20 at Eastland and also my wife's group are all currently living in North Houston (Kindgwood) so I'm in the DFW and Houston areas often. Got plane tickets to be in Houston over the New Year and I'll be in Eastland about every other weekend till I get my buck for deer season :)))) so with the right planning I'd love to meet some fellow THP'ers.

I know we have a community Group for the Oklahoma/Texas area. PM Bridges if your not a member of it and I'm sure he'll get ya added.

Tribute is a lot of fun but be ready for some very fast greens. I played there a few months ago and it took me about 4 holes to get used to the speed and then I was fine. I think I tripled 3 of those first 4 and maybe one other later. I haven't been over to play Tour 18 in a long time so I can't help there.

I like fast greens. The last few times I played in Texas it was really dry and the fairways rolled like most greens. I played the real St. Andrews last summer just before the Open (the New and Eden courses) and they were lightening quick. They were using New Course greens as practice greens for the Open, so they had them all identical to the Old Course on the Stimpmeter. It was a lot of fun, but over there the greens have enormous ridges and undulations. It's difficult to line up a putt with a five foot high hill in between you and the hole.

Alright, so do we have a consensus with Austin? If we do, then why don't we put together a real head count so we can contact a course to set something up? I think we've all heard about Barton Creek Resort, I'm ok with that. If we can get an idea, then the next logical step is to get with the resort and plan something, maybe they'll offer us something if we're bringing some numbers. I don't mind making the phone calls, but I'd like to know about how many of us I'm negociating for.

1. We need to agree on the place
2. We need to set a date
3. Get a head count of golfers & if anybody's bringing extras
4. Contact location and negociate pricing
5. Get final commitments from everybody
6. Book arrangements
7. Show up

I think we're beginning to be up against a clock of great weather in the Austin area. It's my suggestion that we move ahead if this is going to happen before we get into colder weather and holidays.

2shoes: I am definitely interested if we can get enough people.

Tappin' from my iPad!

Awesome! You guys can get together and talk about veggies and the Big 12.

Back