Need New Wedges - Help

DCNatFan

Reaction score
Handicap
I have been playing the wedges that came with my Callaway X-22 for over 2 years and I think it is time for some replacements as I am not getting the same performance. I have a PW (45), AW (51) and SW (56).

I did purchase a Titleist Vokey LW (60) last year but have not loved it and it is currently in the trunk of my car.

My current index is 11.7, which is the lowest it has ever been for me. I tend to pick the ball clean with little to no divot.

Suggestions? Currently considering the Callaway Jaws, Cleveland CG16 and Nike VR but open to other suggestions.

All the ones you mentioned would be great choices. Find a place where you can demo them (along with any others you can try) on a short game practice area, and you should have no problem finding the right one for you.

Try as many out as you can. Wedges are the same as any club, in the fact that the more you try the better chance you will have of finding something you love.

I have a Nike VR gap and sw on the way. Can't wait to get them. Like the others have mentioned, try some out if possible and find the ones that you like.

Try as many out as you can. Wedges are the same as any club, in the fact that the more you try the better chance you will have of finding something you love.

I agree here. Most wedges are going to be exactly a like with spin but you need to find which on feels the best to you. These are you feel clubs and If you're not comfortable with what you got it will show. You've got Golf galaxy right around the corner in Rockville go there and hit as many as you can. Think of feel while hitting them but also hit some chips, full, 1/2 ect to make sure its for you. I've got a set of CG 16 hopefully on the way but I also play a 52* TM xFT

---
- Tapatalk... Loved by me hated by the wife.

try them all...especially with whatever your ball of choice is so you get a feel for how the club will feel on the course. Wedges are like putters in that they're extremely personal so hitting as many as you can will benefit you

xFT or CG16s with spinner shafts.

EDIT: Cleveland 588s an option too if your not going to be playing in pro events (non-conforming grooves are good in Amateur events til 2013 and good for everyday play til 2024)

I know I love my old groove Jaws so much, I bought a second set for the future. I agree with what has already been said, which is to try them all.

xFT or CG16s with spinner shafts.

EDIT: Cleveland 588s an option too if your not going to be playing in pro events (non-conforming grooves are good in Amateur events til 2013 and good for everyday play til 2024)

First I'd like to say type in THP wedge shootout, it's not a brand new article but it kind of gives you an idea of what the companies are making. Also, there is probably a review for almost all of the main wedges out there on the market you are looking for.

Now, my question. What will happen if you play a non conforming wedge for fun in 2025? You get kicked of the golf course?

try them all...especially with whatever your ball of choice is so you get a feel for how the club will feel on the course. Wedges are like putters in that they're extremely personal so hitting as many as you can will benefit you

Good point Hanks, it is best to try wedges with your current gamer ball.

Now, my question. What will happen if you play a non conforming wedge for fun in 2025? You get kicked of the golf course?

Only You will. Everyone else will be allowed to play whatever equipment they wish.

No, I don't know what would happen, that is just what the pro at Golf Galaxy told me when I was looking at a new wedge.....

Only You will. Everyone else will be allowed to play whatever equipment they wish.

No, I don't know what would happen, that is just what the pro at Golf Galaxy told me when I was looking at a new wedge.....

Hahaha no, I knew that the rule said not past 2024, just curious as to if anyone knew why people couldn't play a wedge for fun.

TM RAC wedges at Dicks SG were selling for less than $50 each a few weeks ago, they probably still have some and it is a pretty good wedge. I bought a couple and am going back to buy more if they have them.

Been playing vokeys for years now and love them! Best feel and spin IMO. However I hate hate hate hitting full shots with them, they feel so dead off the face, not like my TM R9 pw. Need replacement every year though, spin goes within 18 months easily! :(

I would urge you to check out Bridgestone's wedges as well. Wonderful spin and feel.

Taylormade xFT are great wedges....they can be found for 89.00

I recently bought a TaylorMade xFT 60 deg low bounce wedge and really liked it. It took my Cleveland C12 out of the bag for the time being. I think the Titleist homepage has a quite informative brochure and other information on what to consider when choosing wedges even if one is not out to get Titleist wedges.

Really jealous of the US pricing of golf gear...a TaylorMade xFT wedge is some 1200 swedish krona (SEK). If on sale you might find it for 900 - 1000 SEK. 1 USD = 6,30 SEK which means is about 190 USD. Not to mention premium golf balls, all brands (Titleist, Bridgestone Nike etc) are close to 500 SEK = 80 USD.

Check out Eidolon, they make a great wedge and have outstanding customer service.

Regardless of what you go with in the end, I would suggest getting something with an extra face plate. They are easy to replace and save you money when it comes time for your next upgrade.

I agree with you about the Vokey wedges. They are very popular, but I never liked the feel. I bought my wedges last year and I chose the CG14s over the CG15s and I love them. I also tried the VR and xFT, but I found the Clevelands have a better feel. I'm planning to get the CG16s at the end of this year.

Consider getting fitted like irons.. I recently ordered a set of taylormade xft wedges and needed them 2* upright.. Once you pick out a brand, you need a few swings on a lie board..

I'm waiting roughly 2-3 weeks but def worth it knowing it's all to my specs..

Good luck!

Agreed on trying them all.
PGA Tour Superstore has a great wedge area where you can even hit full shots.

Taylormade xFT are great wedges....they can be found for 89.00

I'd add these to your short list as well, although they max out at 50 degrees. Some may not go into the PW loft area, so keep that in mind.

Try as many as you can as many others have wisely mentioned before me.

Good luck!

Back