Perkins Rooster

Reaction score
Handicap
10.1 RCGA
I see that some people have letters after their handicap. What do they mean?

PR

They are different systems of tracking handicap:

GHIN - an acronym for Golf Handicap and Information Network, a handicapping service of the USGA that allows clubs and golfers to post and retrieve information electronically.

OOB - A wedbsite that allows players to track scores and stats while talking with other players and keeping a handicap

USGA - The traditional one, the one you will find in your local pro shop

They are different systems of tracking handicap:

GHIN - an acronym for Golf Handicap and Information Network, a handicapping service of the USGA that allows clubs and golfers to post and retrieve information electronically.

OOB - A wedbsite that allows players to track scores and stats while talking with other players and keeping a handicap

USGA - The traditional one, the one you will find in your local pro shop

USGA or GHIN (for many of us they are the same thing) are "official" and verifiable handicaps. Online sites like OOB (Out of Bounds golf) are for personal tracking, but are not recognized for organized tournaments (or they weren't when I last looked).

Thanks. Do they give different results?

Correct me if I'm wrong Fourputt, but I believe they are all calculated the same way...

Thanks. Do they give different results?

Not if they use the USGA formula. I've heard that some of the internet site handicaps are off slightly, but OOB has always been pretty good. The biggest difference is that the internet sites record every round immediately, while the USGA GHIN site only does the revisions on a set schedule. This is to make it easier for clubs to manage and organize tournaments without having to track handicaps on a daily basis. Scores are posted as you play them, but they don't become effective until the next revision.

The Colorado Golf Association is on a twice a month schedule - revisions are posted on the 1st and 15th of each month. My home Men's Club sets up a weekend tournament on the Sunday before the competition, and the handicaps used are from that revision period. Even if the handicaps are updated during the next week, they don't change for the tournament.

There is also RCGA which is for the silly Canadians.

Correct me if I'm wrong Fourputt, but I believe they are all calculated the same way...

They may be calculated the same way, but only a couple of the systems are "official" which is needed to play in most events. Everyone uses GHIN as the example, and that is correct as it is the one most often used, but there are others as well. In Indiana, most courses now use Blue Golf which is "official" through the Indiana section of the PGA of America.

Every state has a section or is a member of the PGA of America, and some use a system like Blue Golf which replaced GHIN.

There is also RCGA which is for the silly Canadians.

Which is calculated by Moose in an Eskimo hut in the north of British Columbia...eh.

Back