BrianJ

Reaction score
Handicap
Hey everyone,

I have been golfing since the fall of 2008 and truly love it. I have taken about 10 lessons and they have been invaluable to my game. I plan on taking more lessons this season with my pro (Marty from Redgate in Rockville MD). Anyway, a peculiar thing has happened lately with my long irons, especially my 4 iron. Just before impact I seem to be uncontrollably turning my clubface back towards downswing, or in other words away from my target. It has the effect of hitting the ball thinly with the very bottom of the clubface. If you picture just holding the club like normal at address, and then turning your hands clockwise so that it gains loft. I am not opening face, and I don't suffer from a slice anymore. If anything I am starting to suffer from a hook these days. I am coming thru a bit too thin and losing tons of distance, the impact has an entirely different feel than when I make solid flush contact with the ball. Has anyone experienced this? It does not happen every time, but id say on 15-20% of my long iron shots. This never happens with my short irons at all.

Thanks for reading

Hey everyone,

I have been golfing since the fall of 2008 and truly love it. I have taken about 10 lessons and they have been invaluable to my game. I plan on taking more lessons this season with my pro (Marty from Redgate in Rockville MD). Anyway, a peculiar thing has happened lately with my long irons, especially my 4 iron. Just before impact I seem to be uncontrollably turning my clubface back towards downswing, or in other words away from my target. It has the effect of hitting the ball thinly with the very bottom of the clubface. If you picture just holding the club like normal at address, and then turning your hands clockwise so that it gains loft. I am not opening face, and I don't suffer from a slice anymore. If anything I am starting to suffer from a hook these days. I am coming thru a bit too thin and losing tons of distance, the impact has an entirely different feel than when I make solid flush contact with the ball. Has anyone experienced this? It does not happen every time, but id say on 15-20% of my long iron shots. This never happens with my short irons at all.

Thanks for reading

Maybe leaning back a little while trying to get a little more power into it? Maybe try and video your swing from the back and the side.

There are a few check points you should look for.
1. Ball position, is it in the middle of your stance?
2. Are you rotating your hips through the hitting zone or are they still in your address position?
3. Where is you weight at the top of your swing? Should be over your right leg, specifically the instep.

From what you described it sounds like all of these are off and you may alsobe coming over the top instead of down the line with your swing path. Best of luck!

Thanks guys, I've made a couple notes and plan on working on this issue this weekend on the range. I'll check it out and see whats up, might be a good time to record my swing as well.

Back