Journey to Be a Better Bunker Player

KellyBo

Golf, Have Fun or Quit!
Reaction score
I need some motivation and help to become a better bunker player. It absolutely kills my scores. Our course has some bunkers but not many and the ones we have are fairly easy.

I have taken lessons but never go out and practice because I just hate them that bad. That has to change!

My goal is to practice bunkers at least twice a week until I get this figured out. My instructor has offered to let me come over to the par 3 course there when they are not busy and practice in their bunkers (tough ones) and we have an easy practice bunker at my course I can also use. I have no more excuses not to practice (except 100* temps).

Anyone else want to join me? Tips are more than welcome! What helped you become a good bunker player???

Thanks JB - I will watch those again right before I go out for practice!

I watched both and had a few bunker oriented lessons.

Think the best advice was stay absolutely planted with lower body- stablility is a must.

I favor my left side- ball forward- address the ball with the club where you want to enter the sand; not right behind the ball.

Think normal swing and it should pop out!

Greenside bunkers are without a doubt the worst part of my game. I either barely hit it or I fly the green by 20 yards. Hopefully we can find some good tips to help improve play from bunkers.

---
- ...just tap it in...

I like the tip I received at my last lesson about teeing the ball in the sand to be sitting even with the sand and then focusing only on trying to break the tee in half, I have been focusing on that since then and it does work. It takes away all of the things to remember and focus' you only on what to do. You must come in steep to hit the tee and you must follow through to be able to break the tee. I have yet to actually break one. I recommend giving this a shot, it works for me and with a little practice distance control becomes easier too.

I grew up as a fortunate kid that played on a CC and used to love the sand. Now after having to play Muni's I am terrified of it. After trying to hit through 1/2" of sand and blading a few shots I get really nervous on taking a proper swing, and I usually wuss out for fear of sending one 40 yards into the parking lot.

Sucks.

Ah bunkers. I either hit one perfectly or it takes three shots. For me its usually remembering to take a full swing and not giving up on the shot. If you dont stay committed to it you end up chunking it into the sand again or blading it across the green.

I grew up as a fortunate kid that played on a CC and used to love the sand. Now after having to play Muni's I am terrified of it. After trying to hit through 1/2" of sand and blading a few shots I get really nervous on taking a proper swing, and I usually wuss out for fear of sending one 40 yards into the parking lot.

Sucks.

Exactly my problem. Our sand is just like you described and I've bladed many a shot.

I don't know if this would help, but I think of it kind of like a lob shot. I open the face and stance, get the lower body dug in and swing like a lob shot for the distance. I'm not the best bunker player, but I always get out and normally have 10 ft in. For fairway bunkers I shorten my swing to a 3/4, keep the lower body quiet, and catch the ball clean

I used to be a great bunker player now I'm so so,worst sin for me is decelerating into the impact.Now my only aim is to get the ball on the green,I aim 2" behind the ball and comit to a full swing,my main focus is looking at a point 2" behind the ball and not at the ball. The correct equipment does help as some wedges are better in bunkers than others.Cleveland 588 were fantastic and the Callaway X Jaws is superb (my next purchase)

I love these journey threads and would love to join this one, however this is a strength of my game. I try and keep it simple Kelly,
1) I open the club face to activate the bounce and then aim it at my target.
2) Open my stance the same amount of degrees as I opened the face (give or take).
3) Dig in, choke down a little, ball slightly forward, weight slightly forward.
4) Low, slow, pause, and smooth through, holding off the hands.
5) Club twirl as it stops near the hole.

I love these journey threads and would love to join this one, however this is a strength of my game. I try and keep it simple Kelly,
2) Open my stance the same amount of degrees as I opened the face (give or take).

Very nice! I'm pretty much on track with your thoughts CB although I do aim a little left of the pin with the open stance. I like a low take away to keep from coming in too steep, always keeping my eyes on the backside of the ball to hit a couple of inches behind. You for sure want sand and not all ball.

KB, if you can find a good place to practice sand shots, it would be a big help. My home course has NO sand bunkers (yes!) but I practice alot in a big sand pile we have at the equipment building, because I often play where there are sand traps.

It took me lots of practice to get something I can trust. I also have better luck even on short bunker shots with my 52 degree wedge of my 56. Not sure why, but the 52 just does a better job for my swing.

Keep working on it and it will become second nature.

This is probably the most important step to remember. :cool:

Thanks for all the tips everyone. I know this is just like the rest of the things I've had to work hard on. It will take a lot of determination and practice. I really appreciate the support here. This place is great!

Andy's video was very helpful to me. Aim 2" behind the ball and swing through, no stopping!

Andy's video was very helpful to me. Aim 2" behind the ball and swing through, no stopping!

I think I have seen every video ever made, taken lessons, and had people work with me at the course. I just ride the short bus in this area but I have complete confidence that I will figure it out now that I've committed to it.

I might get brave enough to do some video clips of me trying to do this and let you guys critique me. Key word is MIGHT.

That is just flashy awesomeness right there.

I think I have seen every video ever made, taken lessons, and had people work with me at the course.

I think that's your problem. Listen to what your instructor says and don't worry about watching tons of vids and listening to anyone else. :golf:

Have Bobby and you spent time on bunker lessons? The swing will be the same out of Idle Hour's bunkers and your home course's bunker.

I spend a lot of time hitting balls out of bunkers at our practice facility...and then I find that every course has a different kind of sand. Some courses have a lot of sand that if real fluffy. Others have hardly any sand at all, and yet others have a hard, grainy kind of sand. Each kind of sand requires a different kind of approach...and then there is wet sand. :)

I think I have seen every video ever made, taken lessons, and had people work with me at the course. I just ride the short bus in this area but I have complete confidence that I will figure it out now that I've committed to it.

I might get brave enough to do some video clips of me trying to do this and let you guys critique me. Key word is MIGHT.

The most important thing in my mind is not decelerating...try to think about the fact that worst case you would rather hit your next shot out of the rough from hitting over the green then hitting from the sand again.

I love greenside bunkers. When i hit a shot off line towards a green i'm yelling for it to get in a bunker. Andy's video is really good but i think he left out one thing and that is to dig into the sand with your feet a little bit. He did it a little but never mentioned it. I usually take my 60* wedge open the face up a lot along with the stance, then dig into the sand and take a full swing hitting behind the ball about 1.5 inches. A friend and I use to go to a short course near our course and hit bunker shots for hours b4 we worked every saturday for a whole summer years ago and ive been a fairly good bunker player since.

Sucks.

I know exactly how you feel. The sand at my home course is hard so I either skull it across the green or hit to far behind it. It's ridiculous

Exactly my problem. Our sand is just like you described and I've bladed many a shot.

Sometimes if it's just too hard A lie; a normal bunker shot won't work- just have to play like a lob shot

Back