Thegeneral451

King Linksbear
Reaction score
Handicap
Bad
In the Northeast its becoming that of year again. The weather is cooling off and soon it will be the offseason :banghead: Just curious what are some goals my fellow THPers have set for themselves?

Personally I have no short game whatsoever. My goal is to cut 10 strokes to my game and I know I can cut those strokes on the green and 100yds and in. It will take work but I am setting this goal and I am going after it. I am also chasing a pipe dream but I am sick of office work and would love to get paid to do something I love, If I get my game in order I am going to make a run at becoming a PGA teaching pro. I know there is a ton of work involved in achieving this but I would love to play the game I enjoy and get paid to pass on my love of this game to other people.

Best of Luck to all of THP-Land with the off-season improvement!

--Brad

Is it December yet? Where I am, it's still August, lots of time left in the golf season! I'll get back to you when the first snowflakes hit the ground.

I'll be using my new putting green religiously. Really want to shoot for 30 minutes a day.

That said, any day over 40* is walking weather for me.

Is it December yet? Where I am, it's still August, lots of time left in the golf season! I'll get back to you when the first snowflakes hit the ground.

Thats tru but With the speed this year has gone by so far I will blink and it will be here. I am just getting all my ducks in a row. I really want to get my mind right and go after these goals, so I figured if I publically announced them then I would be forcing myself to put in 200%

I'll be using my new putting green religiously. Really want to shoot for 30 minutes a day.

Did you build a green for indoors? or do you have an outdoor green?

I have an Idea in my head for building an indoor putting green just need to see if its feasible

Thats tru but With the speed this year has gone by so far I will blink and it will be here. I am just getting all my ducks in a row. I really want to get my mind right and go after these goals, so I figured if I publically announced them then I would be forcing myself to put in 200%

That's a good thought, but the weather is still good, and you want to improve your short game, why don't you do it now? It's pretty hard to improve your short game when you can't practice outdoors, really all you can do is work on your putting stroke. Spending at least 2/3 of your practice time on your short game from now until your season is over will do you more good than trying to work on it during the offseason. Use the indoor time in the winter to work on the full swing.

My goal is to not out-grow my new shorts.

We dont have off seasons! Well maybe for about 6-7 random days during 'winter'.

That's a good thought, but the weather is still good, and you want to improve your short game, why don't you do it now? It's pretty hard to improve your short game when you can't practice outdoors, really all you can do is work on your putting stroke. Spending at least 2/3 of your practice time on your short game from now until your season is over will do you more good than trying to work on it during the offseason. Use the indoor time in the winter to work on the full swing.

Thats the plan, softball ends soon which will free up more time. I am going to start p90x in the evenings to work on overall conditioning. But I was thinking of getting up early and working on chips and putts. I have a friend who is a local pro and he said I can use their green and say that I am taking lessons from him.

We still have at least a couple of good months left too. Hopefully mid-November before we start thinking about quitting.

Jerk. haha

Cheers to that!! And I will need every opportunity possible to make a respectable showing in Orlando come May 2012. :D

My goal is to keep my swing. I've played for many years now, where I don't play golf from Labor Day until about April 1. And every April, I have to 'relearn' the swing and everything I had perfected the year before.

So this year, we have an indoor driving range an hour and a half away, I want to swing golf clubs at least once a month in the off season.

Holy premature thread batman.
Santa is still playing golf on the North Pole.
I mean talk about angering the golf gods here.
Its not even September 1st yet.

HAHAHAHA!

Yeah I have a feeling I am going have to tweak my swing alot in this process cus I am looking to loose a decent amount of weight and get in good shape so I will have to see what happens there. I am looking forward to this challenge.

I also register for the april www.toughmudder.com event in Bear Creek, PA. I was 290 in January and I am hoping to be 225 by xmas. I turned 30 and realized i needed to get my health in order before a doctor forced me too.

LOL, yep. But like I said in the thread, I needed to make it public so I have a goal to meet and I push myself to get there. I have let myself down in the past but If I feel like Other people know what I am doing, I won't let them down and I'll push myself to save face so to speak.

We don't have an off season here in Georgia. Play golf year round and sometimes have to take an off week due to a sore back but that's about it.

We don't have an off season here in Georgia. Play golf year round and sometimes have to take an off week due to a sore back but that's about it.

i dislike you now :( lol

Too early to think about offseason yet....not until November-ish

^^^^^^ I Tapped That ^^^^^^

In the Northeast its becoming that of year again. The weather is cooling off and soon it will be the offseason :banghead: Just curious what are some goals my fellow THPers have set for themselves?

Personally I have no short game whatsoever. My goal is to cut 10 strokes to my game and I know I can cut those strokes on the green and 100yds and in. It will take work but I am setting this goal and I am going after it. I am also chasing a pipe dream but I am sick of office work and would love to get paid to do something I love, If I get my game in order I am going to make a run at becoming a PGA teaching pro. I know there is a ton of work involved in achieving this but I would love to play the game I enjoy and get paid to pass on my love of this game to other people.

Best of Luck to all of THP-Land with the off-season improvement!

--Brad

We still have a third of our season left so I'm not ready to think about the off season. I don't really do anything golf related during the winter. I hate hitting into nets so I don't go there. I putt a little but that is about all.

I like your interest in becoming a PGA professional. I have talked about this as well with our PGA pro. He is in his late 70's and ownes our course as well. Right now it is set up for his daughter to take over the course when he passes, but no one is line to be the club pro. If nothing else, they will hire someone from the outside, although he would love for it to be someone close already.

I'm sure I don't fully know enough about the golf swing, which would make the teaching part hard I would guess. I'm also not a great player although I've been lower single digits in my life, but many years ago. Anything is achievable though I think.

Very true, if it hits 40 and there's no snow, I'm always game. Courses are always empty too, very nice.

It's probably the fact that stores are already stocking Halloween candy that has him jumping the gun! We'll be hearing about black Friday ads in another couple of weeks!

Hoosier: The Playabilty test is 80 in back to back rounds I believe. But my friend who is a Pro said that they have been willing to go higher with this because they don't get the same amount of applicants that they used to. Their thinking is that by the time you finish your 3yr apprenticeship with a pro that you will shoot lower. But thats the biggest drawback, depending on pay during the apprenticeship it makes it very hard for someone to give up a job that pays the bills to scrape by with a lower paying job. I feel I am in a good position, I am 30 and single and I don't get paid incredible at my job so if the pay was close I would def jump at the opportunity. I just need to get my game to where it needs to be.

Yeah we have 2.5 months of PERFECT golf weather here in North Carolina. Once the Bermuda goes I usually start to lose interest until next spring. Many people play golf year round here but if it's below 50 degrees I just don't enjoy it that much. The first thing every spring that I have to work on is my short game because my full swing is usually pretty good due to forgetting all my bad habits in the offseason. I think it's good you are planning ahead though, having goals is always a good thing when it comes to golf.

Yeah we have 2.5 months of PERFECT golf weather here in North Carolina. Once the Bermuda goes I usually start to lose interest until next spring. Many people play golf year round here but if it's below 50 degrees I just don't enjoy it that much. The first thing every spring that I have to work on is my short game because my full swing is usually pretty good due to forgetting all my bad habits in the offseason. I think it's good you are planning ahead though, having goals is always a good thing when it comes to golf.

I have the same problem with the short game needing the most work to start the year. Of course I do blame part of this on the course conditions. In the spring, the lies are extra tight due to the dead grass and often softer than the hard pan that I get used to playing on most of the year.
One thing that helped me this year is that I switched to a lower bounce wedge for the early season and then back to a higher bounce once the grass had grown in and the lies thickened up some.

Back