Go For It or Lay Up?

Great shot!

I'm more of a "go for it" type of player even though that backfires now and then.
There's one hole on one of the courses I play that's about the same length and though there's no OB, there is a marsh to the left and a small creek to the right and even though my left brain says "Hit an iron", my right brain usually wins and out comes the driver!

What can I say?

It's fun!

If I could trust my swing and ballflight enough, why not? Unfortunately I don't so I would more than likely lay up

I like to go for shots, but never with OoB on the righthand side as that my usual miss when I really try to hit it long(if I miss the shot). On this hole I´d lay up.

If I am striking the ball well, then I will almost always go for it. If I don't, I usually kick myself for it. I like to take chances.

First of all nice shot. The risk was worth the reward.

It really depends on the situation.... how you're hitting it that day and if you trust your swing and ballflight. Sometimes in life however you gotta say "ah screw it".

Alex

How many yards to carry the trees on the right?

The tress on the right (left side of pic as its looking back to the tee box) are about 200-220 yards. I typically lay up to this area but play it down the left side as its a more open.

Nice drive!! Makes it that much better when in front of your buddies.

For me depends on how I'm driving that day on if I go for it on the PAR4's but generally will hit to to the 100 yard marker for a wedge in.

A 320 yard par 4 with a driver would still be a lay up for me. :) Great shot!

Impressive. A 320 yard drive, and backspin like that off a driver?!?!
That's a pro shot right there.

Crazy shot. I layup on all par 4s. I even lay up on some par 3s. Lol.

---
- ...just tap it in...

Impressive. A 320 yard drive, and backspin like that off a driver?!?!
That's a pro shot right there.

Crazy shot. I layup on all par 4s. I even lay up on some par 3s. Lol.

---
- ...just tap it in...

Im not really sure how it backed up....the ball was dead straight so it wasn't spinning left or right but i didn't realize that you could put backspin on a drive. I think it hit the green so hard it popped back....not sure though

My usual rule of thumb is if I feel confident while going over the shot in my head to go for it. I am an aggressive player and enjoy taking chances even though they do bite me sometimes.

If I am playing well, I'll usually lay up and play it safe, no matter how well I'm hitting my driver. I don't want to get too aggressive and regret it later. On the other hand, if I'm playing crappy, chances are I'm going for it. If I'm already playing bad, I look at it as it can't get much worse and just go for it. If you hit a good shot and get the birdie or eagle, it may turn the round around and you can finish strong.

If I am hitting the ball well I usually try to go for it and usually when Im not too. I don't always think about course management.

Course management is for superintendents.

Drivable par 4's are for PLAYA'S!

For me it would depend on the playing conditions and how I was playing. 9 times out of 10 I would probably lay up though. Better to keep the ball in play

i would lay up and play for par most days. if my score was gone i would give it a go.

but great shot, really gives you confidence next time you get there.

Great drive, and at that distance it would always be a lay up even if I hit the driver, the only way I can hit one 320 is off of the top of Stone Mountain.

I tend to be a little more on the aggressive side when it comes to laying up or not.
It has bit me a few more times than I like to admit.
But, like I always say....that's one reason I don't play golf for a living.

Had a similar situation the other day. Par 4, 290 downhill with a big pond front right to middle. I hit a 4 iron to 60 yards and made a par.

Not matter how good I hit my drive, the end result would still be a layup! :D

---
- Tappin' from my iPad in support of Team Hackers!

A big drive for me is 275 so yeah I'd lay up. Is that Jeremy Ranch?

Great shot there in the OP and a beautiful pic of a beautiful course!

I almost always hit driver when I shouldn't. If I were playing a casual round with buddies I'm absolutely hitting driver there. I remember the good shots more than I remember the bad, so now you've got a shot you can always remember.

I'm the opposite of a few people I've seen say they go for it if striking the ball well. When I'm hitting it well, I always lay up b/c I'm confident my approach will get me close and the risk of going for it just isn't worth it. When playing poorly, I will go for it b/c I figure if I'm likely to be in trouble anyway I might as well try and be as close as possible.

A big drive for me is 275 so yeah I'd lay up. Is that Jeremy Ranch?

No, this is Old Mill...at the mouth of Big cotton wood canyon.

Usually a hole that can be driven is filled with trouble so I almost always layup to a good distance for my second shot and try to make birdie that way. In the long run it saves me shots. We have one of these holes on our course and there is trouble short, trouble left and right and if you are long you will be chipping down to the green out of deep rough to a green that slopes away from you. No way I am trying to drive this green.

Back