Journey to Average 30 Putts per Round.

Terrible day today early on but my putter helped save me, only 4 GIR's and 30 putts. Only 3 times though was my first putt from inside 10, tough day but still ground out a respectable score.

I had a play lesson today and my coach was actually bragging on my putting. :D

I'll agree that putts per round is a stat worth keeping an eye on but I think it's one of the more misleading stats in golf.

I've had days, for example, where I miss almost every green but I chip very close and one putt a lot of holes.
So in a round like that, I may have a total of maybe 26 putts but my score is is through the roof.
On other days where I hit a lot of greens, I may two-putt almost every hole and end up with 33 or more putts but my score is great.

So as a free-standing stat, I think Putts Per Round (or per hole) is quite meaningless unless it's compared with something else like GIR or viewed in the context of your chipping or sand play.

I'll agree that putts per round is a stat worth keeping an eye on but I think it's one of the more misleading stats in golf.

I've had days, for example, where I miss almost every green but I chip very close and one putt a lot of holes.
So in a round like that, I may have a total of maybe 26 putts but my score is is through the roof.
On other days where I hit a lot of greens, I may two-putt almost every hole and end up with 33 or more putts but my score is great.

So as a free-standing stat, I think Putts Per Round (or per hole) is quite meaningless unless it's compared with something else like GIR or viewed in the context of your chipping or sand play.

Check this out as an alternate way to measure your putting effectiveness.

http://www.syncgolfacademy.com/pdf/Sanders_dec.pdf

I think at this point I need some mental help. I am just lost out there. Last round I had a ton of confidence after 2 straight nights of 2 hour long putting sessions. Had a great pre round warmup. First green I 3 putt and everything just went blank after that. I don't even think I'm taking a proper stance half the time. 37 putts and that is with 1 putting the last 2 greens.

I think at this point I need some mental help. I am just lost out there. Last round I had a ton of confidence after 2 straight nights of 2 hour long putting sessions. Had a great pre round warmup. First green I 3 putt and everything just went blank after that. I don't even think I'm taking a proper stance half the time. 37 putts and that is with 1 putting the last 2 greens.

My coach says he is going to drill a hole in the side of my brain, suck out my brain matter, and insert a new brain. Haha. Maybe we should try that next. He says most of my woes are mental.

I really like this method of keeping up with putts. I think I will try this in addition to the number of putts. It seems fairly easy. Thanks for sharing.

You're welcome. I am going to start tracking this way as well - I'll keep you posted. Good luck with it!

That's not wanting to come up for me for some reason, but will try again later today after my round.

Maybe you can take a vid and send into SeeMore. I did a couple weeks ago and he was able to tweak a few things that has really helped. I'm still not there yet, but I feel like my stroke is 1000 times better. I had 18 putts on the front yesterday, but that was from hitting the greens a long ways from the hole and two putting everything. Many of those were very close to going in. On the back I had 16 because of one 3 putt that was simply a brain fart.

I'm going to do that Duey. I emailed him last weekend but he has not gotten back to me. I'm guessing he's busy with the PGA. I usually can get to the practice green after I get the kids to bed during the week and the lighting is just poor at that time. I'm going to try and get there today but forecast is bad.

I'm going to do that Duey. I emailed him last weekend but he has not gotten back to me. I'm guessing he's busy with the PGA. I usually can get to the practice green after I get the kids to bed during the week and the lighting is just poor at that time. I'm going to try and get there today but forecast is bad.

That's odd he never got back to you by now, I hope he didn't just miss it some how. Good luck, I know he can help. I need to get that triangulator back out, I really think I'm just off line a tiny bit.

Tap,Tap,Tap

Well, I definitely had a speed bump in my putting progress yesterday. Now, throw out my bad decision which led to a triple on the last hole, I shoot 84. I had 2 putts on the last hole which I'd had on alot....but I had 5 3 putts and only one 1 putt....40 putts my friends. That was with the most GIR's I'd ever hit too (12/18) and 9/14 FIR.

I am REALLY liking this way of tracking my putts ddelise. I made a scorecard on Excel and thought I would share an image of it. The explanation of the system is listed at the bottom of the scorecard for quick reference.

I will still probably track GIRs and actual number of putts too.

Thank you!

puttingscorecard.jpg

Nice work KB, I might just copy your idea and make one up myself.

Last edited:
Nice work DB, I might just copy your idea and make one up myself.

I'll be glad to share a copy of my spreadsheet if anyone is interested. I tried to attach it to this thread but it said invalid file.

My putting has been "streaky" for years. One of the best players I know says that streaky means BAD. So after three horrendous days of putting averaging over 40 putts per round, I am going back to the drawing board, new putter, vanilla grip, lots of practice, maybe even a lesson when I get back to Georgia. I had 45 putts at Old MacDonald and 41 at Bandon Trails!!! Of course these courses will reveal any weakness in your ground game, talk about a wake up call!!!

I'll be glad to share a copy of my spreadsheet if anyone is interested. I tried to attach it to this thread but it said invalid file.

email it to me if you will, it will save me some work. OG has my email addy.

I'm really liking that distance stat too. I'll do that and putts for the round + girs today and see how it goes.

My putting has been "streaky" for years. One of the best players I know says that streaky means BAD. So after three horrendous days of putting averaging over 40 putts per round, I am going back to the drawing board, new putter, vanilla grip, lots of practice, maybe even a lesson when I get back to Georgia. I had 45 putts at Old MacDonald and 41 at Bandon Trails!!! Of course these courses will reveal any weakness in your ground game, talk about a wake up call!!!

I'm sure I've had worse rounds than that on really tough courses. Starting over may be a good way to gain your confidence back. I think playing different courses all the time makes it tough too. At least it does for me. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. Hehe.

That's not wanting to come up for me for some reason, but will try again later today after my round.

I just tried the link , and it worked. If you still have troubles accessing, let me know and I will copy/paste the info for you.

I am REALLY liking this way of tracking my putts ddelise. I made a scorecard on Excel and thought I would share an image of it. The explanation of the system is listed at the bottom of the scorecard for quick reference.

I will still probably track GIRs and actual number of putts too.

Thank you!

puttingscorecard.jpg

Excellent! I am glad you find this useful. Like we've discussed, I think this really takes away all the difficulties of balancing GIRs, chipping, etc. I am going to play tomorrow and will keep close track of this. I'm hoping to be in the 60 - 70 foot range. We shall see!

Excellent! I am glad you find this useful. Like we've discussed, I think this really takes away all the difficulties of balancing GIRs, chipping, etc. I am going to play tomorrow and will keep close track of this. I'm hoping to be in the 60 - 70 foot range. We shall see!

That would be great! I'm afraid to see what my total will be. I saw a footnote at the bottom of that article that said Phil scored 89 when he won the 2009 Tour Championship. Wow!

Well I went to the range yesterday for about 3 hours. I worked on my woods, irons and wedges for about an hour and then my short game for two hours, just chipping and putting. First I just worked on chipping to different flags around the green, I do think that my putts would be much lower if my chipping was better, then I just worked on my putting. Finally I put it all together, and got out 6 Penta's and played a game. I picked a flag and then had to get 4 or 6 balls up and down. Once I did it, I could move on to another flag, and I had to get up down 4 of 6 times on every flag on the green before I could leave. It took me a full hour to do this, but I did it. Believe me, there is some pressure on a 4 footer that allows you to go home after you have been playing the game for an hour.

Back