Well today I went to the PGA Tour Superstore for the release of the G20. The PING guys were there letting us demo the club and I got a chance to get fitted. I got fitted with a G20 that has 12 degrees of loft and has a stiff shaft thats a little lighter then a normal stiff shaft. The results were immediate. I was hitting shots right down the center and traveling about 275 average. Love love love the club. Once I scrap together $300, This will be the 1st thing I buy. Really an unbelievable driver in all aspects.

Guess you'll have to change your Sig to "Coming Soon PING G20 12 Stiff" :)

yes sir

Spent that last hour on the range with the driver hitting it back to back with the Razr HAWK and I am very impressed. At address it is much more neutral then the draw RAZR Hawk but the thing that surprised me the most was every shot with this club was straight. I have a natural fade in my driver but this was straight as a whistle every time. At address the head is nice and chunky and much larger then the Callaway, inspiring plenty of confidence. The regular shaft compared to the regular in the callaway definatley seems much more whippy but it was going straight and I was very happy. Distance wise I can hit my Razr Hawk 15-20 years longer, but only 6 out of 10 strikes go straight and in that distance, where as literally every strike with the G20 was on the money, Very impressed!

Well, it looks like I need to compare G20 vs. 910 D2 now. On the other hand hoping G15 price drops a whole bunch, and grow my PING Driver Collection. PING shafts are not that great IMO, which is why changed my K15, and have a Harrison SAGA 60S waiting in the wings to put in a future new G15 that I'm hoping to pick up for <$150
:D

Hit this one a few times tonight at golfsmith while getting a hybrid shaft id'd. No wow factor really, it was crazy straight though. It may be me coming from r11 but the head looks enormous on the G20.

--
tapatalk

I will be looking for new driver very soon and will have to give this one a try.

Hit this one a few times tonight at golfsmith while getting a hybrid shaft id'd. No wow factor really, it was crazy straight though. It may be me coming from r11 but the head looks enormous on the G20.

--
tapatalk

The head is massive and it is crazy straight. The thing is you prob. didnt get fitted correctly with the G20 head and shaft that would best suit you. Once I did that, I gained on average 20 yards and I was pounding it dead center. That was the WOW factor to me.

The head is massive and it is crazy straight. The thing is you prob. didnt get fitted correctly with the G20 head and shaft that would best suit you. Once I did that, I gained on average 20 yards and I was pounding it dead center. That was the WOW factor to me.

Pfftt I don't have time to be fitted I want success off the rack!! :act-up:

Seriously though the ping rep had already left when I got there. But I'm more concerned with how a driver reacts when its not hit flush though.

--
tapatalk

Pfftt I don't have time to be fitted I want success off the rack!! :act-up:

Seriously though the ping rep had already left when I got there. But I'm more concerned with how a driver reacts when its not hit flush though.

--
tapatalk

The thing was when I didnt hit it flush, I only lost 5-10 yards. It still went dead straight or I pushed it a little bit.

I hit the G15 well at GG and the K15 really well at the THP outing, I don't mind the look of the G20 might have to check one of those out when the stores around here get them in.

Based on my limited shots I think its a nice continuation of the line, but then again I didn't like the 15 series much.

I did like how they brought the higher kick-point shaft tech over from the k15. That should help quite a few golfers improve their ball flight.

--
tapatalk

For those who have hit the new G20 and the K15, how do they compare ? Would you say that the K15 is more anti-slice/fade than the G20 ? ( since the K15 has extra weight in the heel)

I think I might swing one this weekend but I wasnt a fan of the G15. It would take A LOT! to get anything ping into my bag. (dont ask why cuz I have no idea...just dont like them)

Played with my g20 on the course and was impressed, hit 90% off fairways with it and matched my R11 in distance every time and even longer in some instances. The best thing was it was straight and long everytime. I have a natural fade to mys shot but with this I was on the money!

I believe at address the K15 is slightly closed to help slicers.

Hit the G20 today at GS along with G15, and own a K15. It was ok, but not a "wow" improvement over G15 or K15. Again, stupidity of keeping 45.75" length drivers for demo is mindboggling.

Now, having said that, the PING stock TFC shafts are underwhelming. I just somehow detest them. Will need some more range time with other shaft options. Until then my 44.5" K15 with AXE XCaliber 6 shaft stays safely in the bag, especially considering I :bomb:ed a 345yd drive center of the fairway on a par 5 465 hole yesterday

There has been some discussion about the loft Ping drivers playing higher than their actual loft is there any truth to this and have you noticed it with your G20? People have commented about how straight the G20. If compared the K15 are the K15 misses more exaggerated due to the clubs weighting for a right handed player.

There has been some discussion about the loft Ping drivers playing higher than their actual loft is there any truth to this and have you noticed it with your G20? People have commented about how straight the G20. If compared the K15 are the K15 misses more exaggerated due to the clubs weighting for a right handed player.

I think it depends on the shaft you have in there.
Quite a few Ping drivers come standard with high launching shafts.

I think it depends on the shaft you have in there.
Quite a few Ping drivers come standard with high launching shafts.

Just to follow up on this. I emailed Ping and this was their reply about lofts of the drivers:

"Yes the static loft on our drivers will be a little higher, normally .75 degrees higher."

What part of " Crazy Straight " didn't you like?????

Love the looks of the newest Ping items! If I didn't have 3 drivers already I would probably try this one out. But I've very happy with my DST tour at the moment. The straightest I've hit a driver in a long time.. Who knows!

It's in my bag already. Traded my G15 for it a couple of weeks ago. I found it about 10-15 yards longer, with less tendency for me to fade (been fighting that for weeks, ever since 'correcting' my swing path). I didn't find it ballooned like a few people here have done - the opposite, in fact - it generally keeps lower off the tee than my G15 did. it's not any more workable than the older one, but when you're as cr*p as me, you just want it on the fairway more often :D

Played my first round with it yesterday, and cracked my first tee shot 270 yards dead straight. I think I'm in love!

Why does fitting work? Because it helps eliminate bias. Here's my story from this weekend:

Was all set on buying the i20 driver at the huge (two day) demo day event this past weekend. Was waiting just because I wanted to try all the new drivers. I hit the Cleveland Classic, Nike VR S, Cobra AMP, Razr Fit, Adams Fast12 and the I20. Mostly hit stock shafts and unfortunately couldn't get #s for all of them because the crowd is just to big to spend that much time at this event (not cool to hog the limited space too long unless you are really dialing ina fitting to buy soemthing). All I was plannign to do at this event is validate my i20 purchase. The only one that threatened my pruchase was the Fast12. Didn't care for the looks but but wow that ProLaunch Blue was a nice fit for my swing.

Anyway, made it back to the Ping tent where I started hitting balls with the i20 on the LM after a lengthy wait. I have been demo'ing one for 3 rounds and thought it slightly better in dispersion and distance vs my 910 but not enough to be a no brainer. Thought I was hitting them OK on the LM when all of a sudden the Ping fitter walks up and says "hey, I've been watching you hit and I think you should try this" handing me what I could see what a G20 - "don't look at it" he says, "just hit it". I was a bit skeptical (or maybe didn't want to be persuaded out of that awesome black matte i20). So I hit it and the first shot is perfect, striped long and high down the middle. For reference, my launch angle is typically about 11* even with a 10.5* driver. I hit a few more resisting the temptation to look at what shaft he put on this thing, with all the balls doing the same thing - long, straight, just a hint of a cool fade (I'm a hooker). I finally look down and its a 12* G20 with a stock 169 stiff shaft (yes, the one with like 6 torque or whatever it is). I couldn't believe it. So we fire up the Trackman and I hit a half dozen each with that setup and the i20 10.5* with both the stock 707S and PX 6.0. Basic numbers were:

i20 707S: 1800 spin, 10* launch (weird the spin is so low, because I had no distance problems when I played a few real rounds with this)
i20 PX6.0 1900 spin, 11* launch
G20 169S 2600 spin, 14* launch

Couldn't believe it, so I go home and sure enough for my ball speed (~150 on all three) I found a website that said the optimal launch is 13-16* and spin is 2300-2800 (BTW, after years of playign 11* that 14* "looks" really high to me so I had to get over that, too). Still in denial, I went back the next day at opening and decided to hit the driver again without any warmup. I piped a couple down the middle high and long again without even a practice swing. At this point, the veil of denial is beginning to thin as delusions of grandeur hitting 80% of fairways with beautiful 275y bombs settled into my head. I decided to pick a target, a bullseye they have on this range parallel with the 250y marker (I think is simulated yardage as it is up a big hill, but my point here is not yardage), and hit 10 balls for the sole purpose is figuring out how accurate I could be. I am not kidding that of the 10, I hit one that was a hard push, one about 15 yards left of the marker and the remaining 8 landed no more than 10 feet on either side of that marker (yes, really, 10 feet - several were within a few feet).

Anyway, my point is you just never know by specs on paper what will work (12 degrees? 5.9 torque - wth?). I knew the G20 had a good reputation for consistency, but I was really surprised the shaft worked. Thought it would feel too soft - it had a soft feel but still felt very "stable" if that makes sense and I actually ended up liking the soudn better than the i20. I spent probably 3 hours over the two demo days in the Ping tent. It was interesting to watch how many other people started with the i20 and "ended" with the G20 just plain working better.

Looking forward to getting the driver hopefully this week and seeing if it plays as expected in real life on the course.

Glad you found the driver you feel good about, with the confidence you already have on it, should be painless at the course.

Thanks Birdog. Pretty excited, but interested to see if it pans out given how different the specs are from what I typically play - gonna be either a reality check or another marriage in Vegas I need to annul

Thanks Birdog. Pretty excited, but interested to see if it pans out given how different the specs are from what I typically play - gonna be either a reality check or another marriage in Vegas I need to annul

Well, based solely on #'s the G20 is perfect for you but I know you're probably over the moon to get it on the course. My G20 has been in the bag for 3 rounds now and I really like it. The vector tells me I get too much spin out of it but I don't see anything on the course that deters me one bit.

It's a freaking cannon and it might be the easiest driver I've ever hit. Getting used to the weight of thing has been the toughest for me. It just feels so heavy in my hands at times.

Thanks, TC, says a lot coming from you to have it in the bag. I'd say I'm caustiously optimistic. If its' close to the cocsistency I saw when making the decision, this si a huge deal - distance is a distant 2nd to that for me. Sorry if this is a skim, but what shaft do you have in yours (not in your signature)? My surprise isn't the G20 itself (Imade the impulse purchase on lookgs with the I15 over the G15 last year, so not doing that again), it's the stock shaft.

Well, based solely on #'s the G20 is perfect for you but I know you're probably over the moon to get it on the course. My G20 has been in the bag for 3 rounds now and I really like it. The vector tells me I get too much spin out of it but I don't see anything on the course that deters me one bit.

It's a freaking cannon and it might be the easiest driver I've ever hit. Getting used to the weight of thing has been the toughest for me. It just feels so heavy in my hands at times.

Back