Official College Football Thread (Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some of Oregon's combinations are almost OK but Maryland's just don't appeal to me at all. It looks like they are a solid football team and they don't really need gimmicks. If they are doing it to boost attendance, being a good team fills lots more seats than goofy looking uniforms.

What I wonder is if people realize the Maryland uniforms are the state flag. I hope they keep them.

Some of Oregon's combinations are almost OK but Maryland's just don't appeal to me at all. It looks like they are a solid football team and they don't really need gimmicks. If they are doing it to boost attendance, being a good team fills lots more seats than goofy looking uniforms.

Because its SUPER easy to get recruits to go to Maryland over, say, a Pitt/Ohio-State/Whomever?

Funky uni's pique kids interest, right or wrong. Plus, when's the last time anyone has talked THIS much about Maryland football? I think they achieved their goal.

Im good with programs doing something different. However, what Georgia did on Saturday night was downright UGLY.

FIFY :embarrassed:

Because its SUPER easy to get recruits to go to Maryland over, say, a Pitt/Ohio-State/Whomever?

Funky uni's pique kids interest, right or wrong. Plus, when's the last time anyone has talked THIS much about Maryland football? I think they achieved their goal.
Exactly. They get zero recognition from anyone. I wouldn't say it is easy for them to get recruits though. They have struggled lately with recruiting. When you look at the espn top 150 HS players. There are quite a few from maryland each year...none of them go to Maryland.

Exactly. They get zero recognition from anyone. I wouldn't say it is easy for them to get recruits though. They have struggled lately with recruiting. When you look at the espn top 150 HS players. There are quite a few from maryland each year...none of them go to Maryland.

You are probably right, all those four star recruits will go to Maryland now because of the uniforms.

You are probably right, all those four star recruits will go to Maryland now because of the uniforms.
I really hope so. I'm tired of watching my Terps suck.

The CEO of Nike went to Oregon from what I've heard, so all their unis are free

MattyCaulk Aka Hawk hunter

And you think other schools are shelling out the big bucks for theirs?

JMan is right. Do you think fans are flocking over Rickie Fowler because of all the wins he is racking up? Or do you think he is extremely noticeable in his gear?

No but that's why they get so many different combos. I don't think Oregon has control over the combos. I could be wring

MattyCaulk Aka Hawk hunter

JMan is right. Do you think fans are flocking over Rickie Fowler because of all the wins he is racking up? Or do you think he is extremely noticeable in his gear?

Being a HS coach (or having been) its what kids talk about now, its not the game its always did you see what so and so were wearing?

The buzz here when Okie State went that way was huge, and they WILL get recruits based solely on the uni's and facilities. Its a sad fact.

I really hope so. I'm tired of watching my Terps suck.

They won 9 games last year, that is not too bad. If the uniforms do get more paying customers then good for the athletic department. They still must have a solid program to attract the top recruits but you have to have the top recruits to improve the program. It is a conundrum and that was why the coaching change was made. Edsall caught my eye for the job he was doing at UCONN and I believe that Maryland will continue to improve because of the new coaching staff, he will sell the program to more recruits and grow the program which will in turn make the program easier to sell. Those uniforms may be a small part of the package but the guy in charge is by far the most important factor. So don't give uniforms too much of the credit. I'm glad you like them but they don't win ball games. I played football for many years, then coached for many more now I am only a college football fan, I have favorite teams but like any team that does things right. Maryland is doing things right! (and their uniforms are butt ugly!:D)

Why dont the College QB's have/get helmets with 'speakers' in them like the NFL does for calling in plays? I am genuinely curious.

Cost shouldnt be a factor since its only abut 3-4 helmets per team.

They won 9 games last year, that is not too bad. If the uniforms do get more paying customers then good for the athletic department. They still must have a solid program to attract the top recruits but you have to have the top recruits to improve the program. It is a conundrum and that was why the coaching change was made. Edsall caught my eye for the job he was doing at UCONN and I believe that Maryland will continue to improve because of the new coaching staff, he will sell the program to more recruits and grow the program which will in turn make the program easier to sell. Those uniforms may be a small part of the package but the guy in charge is by far the most important factor. So don't give uniforms too much of the credit. I'm glad you like them but they don't win ball games. I played football for many years, then coached for many more now I am only a college football fan, I have favorite teams but like any team that does things right. Maryland is doing things right! (and their uniforms are butt ugly!:D)
I didn't say the uniforms would win games. I was saying I hope they attract some 4 star recruits. They haven't recruited well in a while.

Last edited:
I didn't say the uniforms would win games. I was saying I hope they attract some 4 start recruits. They haven't recruited well in a while.

I agree, I don't think ANYONE said they'd win games. Recruits though will bite.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree, I don't think ANYONE said they'd win games. Recruits though will bite.

It changes the culture of how people perceive them- particularly recruits. If they become a topic of conversation in HS locker rooms they start to be a cool school to go to. It blows my mind how much a little thing like that can make- but it really does. Silly HS kids

I ran out of witty tapatalk signatures...

Why dont the College QB's have/get helmets with 'speakers' in them like the NFL does for calling in plays? I am genuinely curious.

Cost shouldnt be a factor since its only abut 3-4 helmets per team.

My guess would be, where does it stop? Since FBS teams play FCS teams, the FCS teams would need to have them. D2 teams play FCS teams, so they would need to have them. And so on down the line. While cost per team probably isn't that big a deal, there is an overlap in divisions so you might end up with 200+ schools needing to be outfitted with the speakers. Quite a bit more than 30 NFL teams.

It changes the culture of how people perceive them- particularly recruits. If they become a topic of conversation in HS locker rooms they start to be a cool school to go to. It blows my mind how much a little thing like that can make- but it really does. Silly HS kids

I ran out of witty tapatalk signatures...

Yup, like I said, our kids would have rather talked about the cool uni's more than the game or the schools tradition every time. Blew my mind as a coach.

Are there any WVU fans on the site?

Good game about to start. Ok State and Arizona. I say 36-24 OK ST.
Are you watching that over the Packers Saints game?

tOSU up to 15, next thing you know they will be top 10 and the crying will ensue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back