Cleveland Mashie Review - Testers Thread

Hahahaha, man this cracked me up!

I miss much like Hanks does. Tempo leads me to get handsy. I think its less pronounced with the Mashie than other clubs for me, mainly because of the awesome shaft this one comes with.

I'm sure mine is a tempo issue, I get lazy at address and miss out part of my cockpit drill.......I was very hungover in my defence

I don't know how to feel about the M1 right now. It's on and it's off for me. I can go out one day and be piping long, high, straight shots down the middle of the fairway and the next I'll be hooking worm burners all over the place with no idea how to fix it.

There are times when I feel like I'm hitting every other club in the bag consistently for several rounds. During these same times of consistency the M1 will still be coming and going. I wanna love it, but I just dunno.

Any feedback/comparison on the heavier Miyazaki shaft option in these? I've been playing a Rifle 6.0 steel in my current 3 hy for a long time and I'm concerned about the 59g C Kua being too light, although the 61g Dromos in my driver is just fine. I am more concerned with accuracy from a hybrid than pure distance, though, so the heavier Miya option might give a bit more control?

This club just flat out works for me. When I mishit I slice it. But this clubs doesn't want to go so much right, giving me full confidence in the club. I've had it since April, and I can't honestly remember one terrible shot with this club. If only there was a Mashie to replace every single one of my clubs.

Went to the range with mine (M2 and M4) a couple of days ago and wanted to share my thoughts.

I warmed up with a 7 iron and hit a few good shots until I felt that I would be ready.

Took out the M4 first since I figured it would be easier to hit and first swing was an absolute beauty with a slight fade. I aimed at a pin that seemed like a long ways down there fully expecting it to come up short. I landed about 5 yards from it and watched it roll off the back side of the green. Impressed, I took a look at the yardage to it...194. Wait, what? 194? I was hitting this club a consistent 200 which all I could get out of my Nickent 3hybrid was max of 185.

After hitting this thing a dozen or so times, each with the same yardage and high ball flight, I decide to test out the M2. My first couple of shots was the hook that everyone on here has been warning me of. I figured out that I was just so excited at the possibility of hitting this thing 220+ that I was swinging way too hard. Next shot was the same ball flight as the M2, maybe a little lower, and wound up going about 215. I hit it for another dozen or so times with my longest winding up next to a pin that was 231 away (Though I cheated on that one by teeing it up). Seeing as hit my driver about 230 consistently, I am floored at the results.

These clubs, simply put, are incredible and a hell of a deal at $200 for 2.

Well guys, I took the Mashie plunge. After trading in a few old A3 hybrids and given the current sale, I picked up the M1/M3 combo for $150... not too shabby. They were special order so I have to wait for a week to hit them... ugh. Finally I'll have a club between my driver and 3H. Hope I can tame the M1. I have a pretty smooth tempo on my swing and rarely do I "torque up" and try to crush the ball... so hopefully this combo works. Thanks for all the info on this thread. :good:

Went to the range with mine (M2 and M4) a couple of days ago and wanted to share my thoughts.

I warmed up with a 7 iron and hit a few good shots until I felt that I would be ready.

Took out the M4 first since I figured it would be easier to hit and first swing was an absolute beauty with a slight fade. I aimed at a pin that seemed like a long ways down there fully expecting it to come up short. I landed about 5 yards from it and watched it roll off the back side of the green. Impressed, I took a look at the yardage to it...194. Wait, what? 194? I was hitting this club a consistent 200 which all I could get out of my Nickent 3hybrid was max of 185.

After hitting this thing a dozen or so times, each with the same yardage and high ball flight, I decide to test out the M2. My first couple of shots was the hook that everyone on here has been warning me of. I figured out that I was just so excited at the possibility of hitting this thing 220+ that I was swinging way too hard. Next shot was the same ball flight as the M2, maybe a little lower, and wound up going about 215. I hit it for another dozen or so times with my longest winding up next to a pin that was 231 away (Though I cheated on that one by teeing it up). Seeing as hit my driver about 230 consistently, I am floored at the results.

These clubs, simply put, are incredible and a hell of a deal at $200 for 2.

mbole I see you use a Hibore XLS and you said you hit the M2 just as far. Have you ever hit another driver on the course? I just had to get a new driver because my XLS wont put a ball past 240 no matter who hits it. Sorry just wondering because I found it odd that my XLS just kind of died on me.

Is it true that a M1 Mashie at 15.5 degrees is difficult to get airborne ?

I think its slightly harder to get airborn than a 20 degree Mashie sure, but no harder than a fairway wood of similar loft. If you really struggle to get a 4 wood airborn, you might struggle a little with the M1 too. Personally, I don't have this issue at all with my M1.

well i had the M4 out with me today and have to say its fantastic,it goes 200/210 no bother and there was a few were i was in the semi rough and normally i use a 7 iron been a links course it grabs the club quick but this thing just shoots it out of there,now going to have a few more games then M2 here i come,it just wants to go were you point it but was wondering i seem to put mine nearly in the middle of my stance but ive heard its best near the front foot any ideas please

I have a 15.5 DST and I do have a low ball flight with it but I wouldnt say its hard to get off the ground. It is however hard to get over something that is close after impact. I have had a few times where the ball clips the top of a mound in the fairway.

Taking my M3 and M4 to the range today so I am super excited to finally hit them :)

just had this out again and as long as i give it a nice smooth swing it just goes straight,i have to buy the M2 now,wonder how far people with the M2 are hitting it of the tee,anyone please as need a club like this for when my driver doesnt do what its told

mbole I see you use a Hibore XLS and you said you hit the M2 just as far. Have you ever hit another driver on the course? I just had to get a new driver because my XLS wont put a ball past 240 no matter who hits it. Sorry just wondering because I found it odd that my XLS just kind of died on me.

Yeah, I used to love my XLS, but it has been real inconsistent lately. I've thought about upgrading, but I need some new irons first I think, since my TA5s are only 6-Pw. Meaning, I have a huge gap between 6iron and M4.

Thanks for the advice though, makes me feel better about my XLS. How far are you hitting your 310 now?

Took my M3 out with my new Driver and 3W to the range last night. Figured it was to be a night of new beginnings and wanted to give my Mashie an honest second chance since I really do like the look of the club and everyone here has had such great results with it. Anyways, I warm up with my old Nike 3 hybrid. Bunch of low burners in the beginning that got up to mid-height as I loosened up. Good ones were rolling to ~200. About right for me & that guy. Figure I'm good, so I grab my M3. Spray the first couple as I readjust to swinging such a light hybrid. A couple pushes and one hook (the shot that I used to fight). Then, all of a sudden everything just clicks into place and I'm bombing straight shots that are carrying almost 200! I hit so many that I had to go back for more so I could get some work in with the new stuff. I'm going to have to go back and make sure I can keep this up, but I have a feeling that my M3 will be here to stay...

Just wanted to confirm the use of the two small white "hash" marks on the mashie grip. For those that unaware, there are two small and short white lines, one near the top of the grip and one near the bottom. What I did with my first range session was had the "V's" of my left and right hands lined up with these marks. Am I doing it the right way ? BTW, I found the grip to be a little slippery. Have others noticed this too ?

Just wanted to confirm the use of the two small white "hash" marks on the mashie grip. For those that unaware, there are two small and short white lines, one near the top of the grip and one near the bottom. What I did with my first range session was had the "V's" of my left and right hands lined up with these marks. Am I doing it the right way ? BTW, I found the grip to be a little slippery. Have others noticed this too ?

That is the way I line up with the club. That will make sure that you don't close the club face. I haven't noticed the grip being slippery.

Yeah, I used to love my XLS, but it has been real inconsistent lately. I've thought about upgrading, but I need some new irons first I think, since my TA5s are only 6-Pw. Meaning, I have a huge gap between 6iron and M4.

Thanks for the advice though, makes me feel better about my XLS. How far are you hitting your 310 now?

I am hitting my 310 about 270 average sometimes 280 but it feels softer when I swing it. I was really having to muscle out my XLS just to get it 240/250

I am hitting my 310 about 270 average sometimes 280 but it feels softer when I swing it. I was really having to muscle out my XLS just to get it 240/250

Wow. I may need to look into upgrading driver then and just picking up a 5 iron off of ebay.

Goodbye my M1 & M3 buddies/enemies. No longer will be the days that you once threw round white darts at greens from a mile away one day and then burned a low hooking path into the grass for the next several days.

Sorry fellas but in the end I couldn't ever master that beautiful consistency that every golfer craves with the Mashies. So they had to be put in the trade in bin at the local Roger Dunn.

I've said this on several other threads before, but never here before because it would just be blasphemous to the thread. I despise lightweight clubs, and in the end that's why the Mashies had to go. I just couldn't mentally handle my balls to the wall tempo of every other club in the bag not being able to transfer over to the hybrids. No one should have two different tempos I have decided, so if you are a smooth and methodical swinger then I think that these hybrids are for you. I am not and therefore on too many days my game suffered because of it.

I need and want 80-85g shafts in my hybrids.

Goodbye my M1 & M3 buddies/enemies. No longer will be the days that you once threw round white darts at greens from a mile away one day and then burned a low hooking path into the grass for the next several days.

Sorry fellas but in the end I couldn't ever master that beautiful consistency that every golfer craves with the Mashies. So they had to be put in the trade in bin at the local Roger Dunn.

I've said this on several other threads before, but never here before because it would just be blasphemous to the thread. I despise lightweight clubs, and in the end that's why the Mashies had to go. I just couldn't mentally handle my balls to the wall tempo of every other club in the bag not being able to transfer over to the hybrids. No one should have two different tempos I have decided, so if you are a smooth and methodical swinger then I think that these hybrids are for you. I am not and therefore on too many days my game suffered because of it.

This is why I wish stores would carry both shafts on the mashie (59 and 83)...nobody should go into a golf store only to have to order something...why go into the store?

With the current 2 for $200 deal the Cleveland web store has around a dozen or more shaft options, many in the 80+g range or even steel shafts. If you like the look and feel of the Mashies but just want heavier shafts, it could be an option while the deal is going.

What a great day with the Mashie's! I hit one ball from 205 out with the M3 to 1 ft from the hole. I almost had an eagle from 205 out! The rest of the day was just normal boring straight shots. I still love these clubs a lot.

I had a great day yesterday with mine.
Had a 170 yard par3 where I pulled out my M4 and swung reaaaal easy. Hit it within 5 ft and putted for birdie.

Also had a bad tee shot on a 390 yard par 4 that left me 210 to the green. Pulled out my M2 and hit it pin high 30 ft away and saved par.

I'm loving how easy to hit these are. Not to mention how easy to hit from any lie they are.

what are the popular combos to get the mashies in?? M2/3, 2/4, 3/4?? the longest iron I like to carry is my 5i which I hit about 170-175....I can hit my 3w fairly well, about 200 of the turf, 215 off a tee...it is the gap that I am trying to fill

what are the popular combos to get the mashies in?? M2/3, 2/4, 3/4?? the longest iron I like to carry is my 5i which I hit about 170-175....I can hit my 3w fairly well, about 200 of the turf, 215 off a tee...it is the gap that I am trying to fill

Sounds like you might want to look at the M2/M4 combo.

Back