Any bbq contest folks here??

buzzd

Reaction score
Handicap
the swing
Just filling out forms for the Jack Daniels BBQ contest--they invite one team from every state via a.draw system of those that have won a GC in a sanctioned contest--we have 1 in 4 chance of returning to Lynchburg
615b44ed-ca6d-00cc.jpg

phatphingers like tapppytalk

If you want to practice let me know. I've been known to consume enormous amounts of q.

That is awesome! Congrats.

Wow that is so cool. Send some my way if you need a taste test

Very cool buzzd. I have fond memories of going to the Great Lenexa BBQ Battle as a kid.

Congratulations and good luck buzzd. What's your team name? Are you coming to the American Royal?
we have cooked the AR quite a few times--great fun but have decided that it is just too darn expensive--that weekend would usually cost as much as at least 3 regular contests but do miss the opportunity to visit friends but when the weather is nice the party and the scenery is amazing

team is 2fat bikers bbq

This thread is making me hungry for BBQ!

Way Cool, I've never tried BBq contest looks like fun watching them on foodTV. Can't figure out how to post a pic of my home made rig. :(

Good Luck!!

Pretty cool! I've never competed but BBQ is definitely one of my favorite methods of cooking. Ive done brisket for 24 hours in my Big Green Egg that was incredible. I've smoked pork butts, ribs numerous times. Last Easter I smoked a ham, for christmas I smoked a turkey. And the 4th f July i cooked my first Whole Hog over a fire pit with logs of cherry and mesquite.

I. Would love to Share techniques and sauces with ya if you ever want to discuss shoot me a pm!

My buddy competes with a team. They have a pellet smoker mounted on a trailer. It can hold 500 pounds of meat. We've had some big ass parties with it. Here's a pic of the rig and some of his teammates, and just a picture of the rig. I've never been to a competition with them. They haven't competed in an event like you're taking about, but they get around in WI, MN, IL, IN, and IA.

Kevin

RIG.jpg

TheBeast.jpg

My buddy competes with a team. They have a pellet smoker mounted on a trailer. It can hold 500 pounds of meat. We've had some big ass parties with it. Here's a pic of the rig and some of his teammates, and just a picture of the rig. I've never been to a competition with them. They haven't competed in an event like you're taking about, but they get around in WI, MN, IL, IN, and IA.

Kevin
thats an old pic with scott still there--those guys are good friends for sure--which is your buddy?? I remember when they drove to texas to pic up the trailer(different cooker then)

thats an old pic with scott still there--those guys are good friends for sure--which is your buddy?? I remember when they drove to texas to pic up the trailer(different cooker then)

Holy crap, I didn't notice you were from WI. Yeah, Scott's out in Vegas/St. George, Utah. My friend isn't in that picture. His name is Shawn Reilly. He owns the rig. They haven't been competing as much.

Kevin

Thats pretty cool, good luck man.

I have a Big Green Egg too. I love competition but I dont think I could handle it while im bbqing.

Shawn is a good guy(for a lawyr;-))
The boys have been out a few times this year--iirc they won a contest in Grafton

Shawn is a good guy(for a lawyr;-))
The boys have been out a few times this year--iirc they won a contest in Grafton

He used to be my golf buddy. He doesn't play as much since his divorce. He's my best friend. Like you said, not a bad guy for a lawyer.

Kevin

neat rig--looks like it would cook a hog with ease!! Don't make many homemade rubs so darn many good ones to try(and lazy too)--good pork loin rub is Marys Cherry Rub--pork looks good too

Thanks, I can do a whole Hog up to 160 pds. With the design I don't have to flip the Hog over so I lay the Hog on it's back and allows all the fat to work it's way into the Loin as it cooks and it turns out real moist. So how did you place in the competition?

Thanks, I can do a whole Hog up to 160 pds. With the design I don't have to flip the Hog over so I lay the Hog on it's back and allows all the fat to work it's way into the Loin as it cooks and it turns out real moist. So how did you place in the competition?

contest is 4th weekend Oct in Lynchburg,Tn---working now on getting trailer ready for one last trip south
615b44ed-aa28-8d3e.jpg

this my rig last year year--guess will have to look for a better pic

contest is 4th weekend Oct in Lynchburg,Tn---working now on getting trailer ready for one last trip south
615b44ed-aa28-8d3e.jpg

this my rig last year year--guess will have to look for a better pic

Looking good! So do you use a water tray when you smoke? Or do you smoke em dry?

Looking good! So do you use a water tray when you smoke? Or do you smoke em dry?

they are Backwoods Smokers--water is needed as a heat sink--easy to run at least 5hrs without looking

Nice looking set up.
I mistakenly looked the receipt date on your notice and overlooked the comp. date.
Good luck in the competition.

Good luck this weekend Buzzd. Let us know how you placed. (Won) hopefully

Back