gbigoose1

Reaction score
Handicap
Hey guys. I would like to hear your best tips and drills for putting, if you have any. Hitting fairways and greens is awesome and makes golf fun, but it's really frustrating to hit good shots and just not feel confident that you are going to make your birdie putt. Thanks in advance.
-gbi

This may or may not be a little unconventional but I always play my putts on my front foot, it helps me hit a little up on the ball and create the over spin that is desired for accuracy.

I'm really liking those videos. Thanks guys.

Practice, practice, practice. My practice routine goes like this:

Set up 5 golf balls in a star shape around the hole, 3ft away each. Repeat 2x. (10 putts)

Perform the same drill, but with the balls 6ft away. Repeat 2x. (10 putts)

Place 5 golf balls in a line between the distances of 5ft and 15ft, and do this on all four sides of the hole, so it makes a cross with the hole as the center. Do this once. (20 putts)

I try to do this every day. Keep track of how many out of 40 you make each day, and that way you can track your improvement. I started in the spring and started averaging 15-20, and by now I'm averaging 30-35. That's the money-making distance (3ft-15ft), so that's where you want to practice. I also practice lag putting every other day. Just find different spots on the green that leave long putts and hit a few putts from each.

Use the alignment aide on your ball. Read your putt and put that aide right down the line. Every ball has one. Might as well use it.

Find your line, but once its there do not look back up until the put is far away. My old coach taught me to listen for the ball to drop before looking. Also, don't stop the putter, let it follow the ball until it comes to a natural stop.

I have a couple that keep it fun.
1. up and down. Pick a hole chip and make the put. You go ten in a row and go home.
2. One arm putting, my left alone and then the right joins in after a few shots. THis really trains the muscles in my left arm and keep the right hand out of my putts
3. Shaft behind the hole for distance control. Place shaft 18" behind the hole pick you line and try to make putts. i you miss you ball should finish 18" behind the hole.

I have a couple that keep it fun.
1. up and down. Pick a hole chip and make the put. You go ten in a row and go home.
2. One arm putting, my left alone and then the right joins in after a few shots. THis really trains the muscles in my left arm and keep the right hand out of my putts
3. Shaft behind the hole for distance control. Place shaft 18" behind the hole pick you line and try to make putts. i you miss you ball should finish 18" behind the hole.

Going to write this one down, that one sounds like it would be great practice.

Trying make 10 in row is where the practice comes in. You become a great chipper, creative and a solid short putter
Going to write this one down, that one sounds like it would be great practice.

Practice, practice, practice. My practice routine goes like this:

Set up 5 golf balls in a star shape around the hole, 3ft away each. Repeat 2x. (10 putts)

Perform the same drill, but with the balls 6ft away. Repeat 2x. (10 putts)

Place 5 golf balls in a line between the distances of 5ft and 15ft, and do this on all four sides of the hole, so it makes a cross with the hole as the center. Do this once. (20 putts)

I try to do this every day. Keep track of how many out of 40 you make each day, and that way you can track your improvement. I started in the spring and started averaging 15-20, and by now I'm averaging 30-35. That's the money-making distance (3ft-15ft), so that's where you want to practice. I also practice lag putting every other day. Just find different spots on the green that leave long putts and hit a few putts from each.

This is a great routine. I may be writing this down to use once the course opens in April again!

Drills... I have a couple that are by far no secret.

Two Footer Drill - Great for establishing confidence. Sink 2 footers until you've sunk 25 in a row... once you accomplish the feat make it 50. Miss one... start all over.

3, 6, 9 and 12 - From four different angles set balls in 3 foot intervals. This will give you the chance to establish feel. Important for amateurs with the longer ones as proximity to the pin is an issue for amateurs and professional alike.

Like I said... proximity to the pin is huge. Realistic birdies come from approaches within 15 feet. Examine your stroke. Is your stroke "jabby"? Is your lower body quiet? Are you moving your head? Do you find yourself watching the putterhead? Do you lift your head to early or do you keep it down? Just a few things that my coach and I have worked on and looked at. Never underestimate the value of taking a video of your putting.

Alex

A lot of great drills. A common thread of most is repetition (and practice).

Take an old CD put it on the green inside your ball it will act like a mirror, keep your nose in the center hole of the cd while you put. Practice this on 3 footers try to make twenty in a row. Make believe there is a dime underneath your ball and try to read the date on the dime after striking your put and listen for the sound of the ball hitting the bottom of the cup. Once you learn to trust it and stay down, you will make more puts. I still choke, hold the putter to tight, follow the ball with my eyes, end up pulling the ball left on things like the last put of the round for a one stroke win or a five hole carry over. It really ticks me off but I still do it occasionally and the reason is almost always that I didn't stay down. This is an after thought edit, I forgot to mention that to find the crnter, get in your putting stance, hold a ball to the end of your nose and drop it. That is the center spot for the cd.

Last edited:
Another great drill for 3 footers is to take your putter, put it against the ball and just push it into the hole all the way without hitting it. this helps you to follow through on line and get the feel. As always try for 20 in a row !

Back