Regret after purchases?

jdtox

Lord Tox
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
Earlier this year I purchased a PING G15 driver. Gamed it for 3 weeks and returned it. Couldn't make up my mind if I liked it or not and my 30 days was almost up so back it went. (I purchased this club off the shelf without any LM results or fitting)

2 weeks ago I did a full driver fitting and was fitted for a Cleveland SL290 driver. I actually really like it....but I don't. I am finding that I cannot draw the ball very easily with this club. It produces mostly a fade for me, though sometimes straight, but NEVER a draw.

I guess I could get used to it, BUT I also purchased the FL15* fairway at the same time. I draw the ball with this club without even trying (sometimes too much). AND I hit draws with all my irons as well. Its very odd to draw all my clubs and fade my driver.

UGH. I am regretting not testing the TL310. According to what I've read its a more workable head. Now I don't know what to do. I didn't buy these from GS this time and I'm not sure I could return it even if I wanted to. I love the feel, the sound and the looks of this club, but the fact that I cannot draw it (at least when I want to) bugs the crap out of me.

What would you do?

Did you get fit for the 290? Is the shaft right for you? Could it be a swing issue? Is there a reason why you perfer a draw with the driver?

"I actually really like it....but I don't" wut??

Going forward do more testing before you buy? j/k...

But seriously, equipment should fit your game.. not the other way around. If you don't like what you're, some might say mentally that just kills your game.

Maybe you can put up what you don't want in the FS / FT section so another THPer can enjoy it and who knows maybe you'll find a trade that gets you what you want?

TL310 has a smaller head so it is more workable...but the 290 is longer off the tees. I was still able to draw the 270 and 290 when I had them though it just takes a bit more of an inside swing. You actually should be able to go back to your store and replace the 290 with a 310 if you want because that was part of clevelands campaign of everyone having the right weight.

I can move the ball both ways with my 270 if I try, but I find it very easy to hit straight.

"I actually really like it....but I don't" wut??

Going forward do more testing before you buy? j/k...

But seriously, equipment should fit your game.. not the other way around. If you don't like what you're, some might say mentally that just kills your game.

Maybe you can put up what you don't want in the FS / FT section so another THPer can enjoy it and who knows maybe you'll find a trade that gets you what you want?

LOL I know. I guess I'm just very indecisive. I always wonder what if. I hit alot of driver/shaft combos at the fitting, but never hit the 310. I guess I could always just go test one out and see how it compares. That would only make sense.

Maybe I got too caught up in the #'s while testing vs actual results or maybe I just need to go to the range and work it out.

I guess I was just wondering if anyone else has 2nd thoughts after purchases like me. I overanalyze everything all the time. :embarrassed:

Quit over-analyzing. Sounds like you have a club you hit well.

LOL I know. I guess I'm just very indecisive. I always wonder what if. I hit alot of driver/shaft combos at the fitting, but never hit the 310. I guess I could always just go test one out and see how it compares. That would only make sense.

Maybe I got too caught up in the #'s while testing vs actual results or maybe I just need to go to the range and work it out.

I guess I was just wondering if anyone else has 2nd thoughts after purchases like me. I overanalyze everything all the time. :embarrassed:

I can't speak for everyone else but i have second guessed myself after a purchase on more than one occasion. I think it is a natural process. I just go out to the range and on the course and work with my clubs and get through the honeymoon period and then I am normally good to go.

I never second guessed a purchase, until I bought my Mashie. It was a guy move. It turns out that I wish it never happened.

I regret my driver purchase last year, I never did hit it any better then my previous driver and it went on sale for $100 less in about 3 months after I purchased it. Personally I'd take it back and try out the 310 see if you can get the ball flight you desire. Sounds like you're hitting the driver well so if you go back and the 310 isn't much better staying with what you have won't be a complete loss.

I tend to over analyze things too, but I counter that by going and making rash, sometimes foolish, decisions, after I spent all that time analyzing. Got to have balance, right? lol

keep it...if you need a draw off the tee just don't use the driver. Its not like you cant hit it, you just cant hit one particular shot with it

I think it's pretty natural to second guess a purchase, especially if you find one thing you don't like or can't seem to do easily (draw). You're left thinking about all the other options you didn't take, and well, you probably could draw it with a number of those other choices. I liked the recommendation/suggestion posted earlier - try a more inside to out swing path. With a lighter head, it's easier to come down over the top, or outside/in a bit, which is most likely why you are achieving that bit of a fade. That Cleveland SL290 is one of the Drivers I'm lusting after at the moment, so from where I'm standing, the grass is looking pretty green to me over on your side of the fence.

It happens several times a year for me. Latest is with the Ghost Spider. Just did not like it at all after I got in on the course. My saving grace is I buy my golf equipment from Van's. They offer a 90 day guarantee. If at 89 days you hate that driver or whatever, you take it back for store credit at the full price you paid.

I tend to make impulsive buys and have regretted a few. I've been good lately about it and have spent much more time trying things out before I buy them. I played around with the 290 today and really liked the looks of it, but didn't get to swing it. Go hit the 310 and if you like it that much more then take Cleveland up on their right weight for everyone guarantee.

What would you do?
I'd demo the 310. It may not fit either. I just bought a hyb that wants to draw and hook while everything else is straight or fade, and I did demo it with fantastic results once. Nothing worse than military golf. It hasn't got a permanent spot yet.

I have made multiple regrettable purchases over the last 6 months. Trying to stop impulse purchasing and go through proper fittings, etc when making club purchases.

---
- Tappin' from my iPad in support of Team Hackers!

All im saying is straight is better than a draw or fade, i guarantee if more peopled worried about hitting straight than trying to work the ball the game would be much easier. To answer your question though yes i have regretted some purchases

Put together Makers Mark, me and Ebay there are always regrets!O:)

phatphingers like tapppytalk

You should love that it either goes straight or a fade. Just aim down the left side of fairway, if it goes straight you'll be in the left side, if it fades the you then have the WHOLE fairway to cover your miss. If you aim straight, you only have half the fairway to cover a miss in either direction.

Dissecting your purchase over workability. I do NOT want to be preachy. Only share years of experience and a basement full of second thoughts. Forget all that left right crap. Everyone can work straight shots in to their game. If it goes straight it's for you.

I personally had a case of second guessing just the other day. Went to a shop to pick up a 3-wood and something to replace my old, old Rescue Mid 4H. Walked out of the shop happily with a Titleist 910F and 910H 19* 3H. For some reason (must be the air freshener they use in the shop) I was thinking to get the 3H first, and then get the 4H later on. But when I tried hit them on the range that night, the 910H and Rescue feel SO different I don't think I can play them both. Now if I take the Rescue out I'll leave myself a big gap between the 5-iron and the 3H... makes me wish I had gone for the 4H instead.

Ive had my fair share of regrets. I regretting buying my set of Mizuno MX-100s (didnt like the hybrids) and I actually reget buying the Wilson Di7s that I currently have.
Not that theres anything wrong with the Wilsons, I just find myself missing the feel and feedback of the Mizuno MP-32s that I used to have. As hard to hit as they could be at times, man those clubs felt good when you hit it flush and they gave such great feedback.
Oh well, is not as if Mizuno is going to discontinue their MP line anytime soon. Besides, it gives me even more motivation to work on my swing. The quicker I wear the grooves off of these Wilsons, the sooner I can convince myself that I need a new set of irons.
Thats the double-edged sword that is Ebay. On the one hand, its great in that it has allowed me to have a much better set of clubs that I could have afforded if I had bought new but on the other hand its so cheap that it makes me think about constantly tinkering with the clubs in my bag and has made me blow a lot of money on small purchases.

Last edited:
I rarely regret a purchase because I try everything out there and once I find the club for me I buy it. Impulse buys are nice, especially when the club/your swing is working that day. Sleep on your next purchase and give it a few range sessions/demo days to see if its what you want. GL!

The only purchase I regret was the Titleist 910 F. I got rid of it shortly after I bought it though.

Back