5 Wood or 3 Hybrid or both?

paintitblack85

Reaction score
Handicap
What do you guys have? Do you play a 5 Wood or a 3 Hybrid or both. And what's the reason for this combination?

I play at the minute a 2 hybrid. I carry a 3 iron for the tee, and 4-wedge.

My course doesn't require for me a fairway wood, but having other wedge options helps.

I am also playing a 4 wedge setup. but i am thinking about getting rid of my cleveland 5 wood and replacing it with a jpx 800 3 hybrid. But i really like both of them to hit.

Been several of these threads recently. I'm in the 3 hybrid camp. Still many using a 5 wood as well. Don't see any reason to take up space in the bag for both.

I've a mashie hybrid. Gap at the top - 2 hybrid, 3 iron and 4 iron down is fine.

I play JPX 800 Pros. My wedge line up is PW, JPX 50, Cleveland CG15 52 and 58.

The lofts there don't seem to make sense, but the JPX 50 actually gives 15 yard steps between the PW and 52. Also I tend to use the 52 around the green only and the 58 for when I need some height, or for bunkers.

As said a driver, one hybrid and 3 iron works for me as my course is relatively short. I believe your setup should meet the requirements for where you play - lot of long second shots you might want a fairway wood for instance...

I had actually thought about this recently and about three days ago put it into the questioning while at Golf Town.

I currently have a 18* Wilson 5-wood. Fit it pretty easy to hot off the tee and not too bad from the fairway either. I average around 225 with it.

So while at golf town I grabbed a 19* Nike VRS 3 hybrid. Reason for trying the VRS was the shape. It's a similar shape to a fairway wood. Found I hit it roughly the same, only difference was the height. The ball was going a bit higher, but had less roll out.

I concluded that if I wanted something that was going to go higher and land softer, the 3-hybrid would be the way to go, but I'm happy with the flight of the wood. Really comes down to personal preference, what your course requires and your distance gaps.

I play both. They are different clubs and the 5 wood goes farther for me so it helps with distance gapping. My hybrid is really not a long one, it's meant to go the same distance a 3-iron would. I can hit the hybrid out of the rough whilst I cannot hit the 5 wood out of the rough.

3h...I like hitting down on the ball versus sweeping.

3-hybrid. I hit the 5wood and 3-hybrid similar enough distances. I would rather have tighter gaps in my short irons and wedges than at the top of my bag. It's all about where the gaps are in your bag and addressing them how you want.

I play a 3 hybrid right now, but I prefer a 5 wood. I just hit woods better than hybrids.

I use a 2 hybrid instead of a 5 wood. It's the same loft and I get the same distance but a higher ball flight which I like more for long shots into greens.
I have noticed that quite a few 3 hybrids are around 19 degrees in some of the newer lines that have come out. Not sure why that is

3h...I like hitting down on the ball versus sweeping.

^^^^this, I hit my 20.5* hybrid farther than I do my 18* fairway wood.

3 hybrid. I have a 2 hybrid as well that I'll sometimes toss a wedge out for. I prefer hybrids as they are easier to hit out of the rough, and because of the shorter shafts. My 3 wood I mainly use of the tee - although nothing beats a sweetly stuck 3 wood off the deck :)

Usually a five wood. I used a demo 18 degree TM Rescue 11 for a week or so and really liked it. I'm carrying a three wood this week though.

I play with a 5-wood simply because I like my 5-wood, find it easy to hit and have always sucked with hybrids.

What do you guys have? Do you play a 5 Wood or a 3 Hybrid or both. And what's the reason for this combination?

Well I guess this would depend on what you want to use the club for, what type of course you play, and what type of wind conditions. I currently live in a desert area where the majority of the golf courses have very tight lies, so its easier to hit with a descending blow as oppose to sweeping. With the tight lie, a sweeping swing does not have much room for error since the club will not get below the ball and could bounce off the ground, causing a mishit.

My Taylormade Rocketballz 3H is 19*, can be hit off the FW or tee, is easy to hit a draw and control the trajectory. I easily average 250 off the tee and 240 off the FW/rough, but I vary my swing off the tee to control flight trajectory (played today and averaged 260 off the tee). I do have a 5W as well, but I took it out of my bag and put the 3H in.

I decided that i am probably going with the 19° hybrid. But i'll keep the Clevelang CG Black 5 Wood so i can take it with me if the course requires a FW. I'll probably go with the mizuno jpx 800 hybrid since i already have a 22° hybrid and these are very forgiving and easy to hit.

I play a 3 hybrid simply because I like the distance gaps better with a 3h then having a 5 wood in it's place.

This is currently something I am pondering , I have been given a brand new ( still in the plastic) R11 5 wood , I already have a R9 5 wood thats nice , I have an R11 driver and 3 wood ( theres a theme here....) but looking at the irons I am considering ( RBZ 4- AW) I think I may be better off having a try at a RBZ 19 degree hybrid.I will keep the R9 5 wood and see if I can get a good P/x againt the RBZ for the R11 , of course now I am getting confused by the fact there are three types of RBZ hybrids ( RBZ /RBZ tour/RBZ tour preferred...) but as other members have said if you want it to fly high and land soft then a hybrid ....now if someone can explain the differences between the three RBZs to me...but thats probably a whole new thread lol

This is currently something I am pondering , I have been given a brand new ( still in the plastic) R11 5 wood , I already have a R9 5 wood thats nice , I have an R11 driver and 3 wood ( theres a theme here....) but looking at the irons I am considering ( RBZ 4- AW) I think I may be better off having a try at a RBZ 19 degree hybrid.I will keep the R9 5 wood and see if I can get a good P/x againt the RBZ for the R11 , of course now I am getting confused by the fact there are three types of RBZ hybrids ( RBZ /RBZ tour/RBZ tour preferred...) but as other members have said if you want it to fly high and land soft then a hybrid ....now if someone can explain the differences between the three RBZs to me...but thats probably a whole new thread lol

The RBZ hybrid is the standard hybrid of the line and when compared to the Tour version the only difference is the head shape in the Tour model looks better to the eye of a "player" whereas the non Tour version does not. Also in the Tour I believe you get the upgraded shaft, the Matrix Altus 85 gram. The TP version of both just offers more shaft options for an upcharge and the "fancy TP flag logo".

Thanks for that explanation Bigcountrystein...I think I will have to hit both regular and tour flavour to decide which shaft suits me better. Might even be worth trying the TP version just because there is a better range of shafts available..I want to try and find the best fit possible. Thanks again

3 hybrid all the way. I'm not real consistent hitting fairway woods since my natural swing plane is slightly steep, hit the hybrids a lot better. I'm considering trading in my 3W pretty soon for a 2 hybrid.

Thanks for that explanation Bigcountrystein...I think I will have to hit both regular and tour flavour to decide which shaft suits me better. Might even be worth trying the TP version just because there is a better range of shafts available..I want to try and find the best fit possible. Thanks again

Anytime my friend. I have a low handicap but I'm not sure which one I'd prefer, the standard RBZ transfers alot of energy off the clubface.

I currently carry a 5W, but during my fitting last week at the Callaway Performance Center, my fitter suggested I drop the 5W and put in a 2H. With the 2H in the bag I can hit it as far as the 5W, I can choke up on it and hit it as a 3H and I can also play it back in my stance and keep it low to get out of trouble. Much more versatility.

What is the typical loft on a 3H? My understanding is that it's either 18* or 19*, correct?

Back