How long does Rory stay #1.

Bobby Fairways

Reaction score
Handicap
So are we looking at another long run of a #1 ranked player? I think this kid, barring injury, is going to be there for several years to come.

I can't say a specific time. But if he gets there, I think he will be a force to beat in the next few years. The #1 spot is something players either fear or embrace. I think Rory will embrace it and play like #1.

Tapped that!

I think he could have it for a long time. The round he's playing today is miles away from how he played the Masters back 9 last year.

He knows when to pour it on and knows when to be conservative.

Plus, I think he followed the "Luke Donald Method" on getting to #1. Top ten every week and you'll get there.

When he gets there, he will be there for many years...he's 22 and just really getting going...it will be tough to get him out of it.

If/when he gets there, then he may stay for a bit. I don't think he will stay there for years. He may swap between 1 ,and 2 for a while.

Last edited:
Yeah, I don't see Rory holding onto #1 like Tiger and Norman did. There is entirely too much parity in the game now, too many good players.

Until Luke wins next week.

I think once he gets it depending on how he plays the first few weeks after he achieves the status of #1 will determine how long. If he plays solid for a few weeks I think that will go a long way in the length of time he stays in the spot!! We will see can't wait!

Its going to depend upon Luke Donald. If Luke can get his shortgame and putting together, Rory may not be there long. If Luke doesnt, I could see Rory holding onto it for 6-12 months. Westwood is still playing really well and isnt going away any time soon.
Im not convinced that Rory yet has the maturity and mental toughness to holding onto #1 for years. Theres a lot of pressure with being the world #1 and it takes a toll on you.

Too many good golfers around for him to stay #1 for long. He is playing great but Westwood and Donald consistently play great as well. And if Tiger gets his putting together watch out, he could head back to #1 quick.

If/when he gets there, then he may stay for a bit. I don't think he will stay there for years. He may swap between 1 ,a d2 for a while.

I'm with this as well. Think he'll be top 3 in the world for a very long time, though he wont hold onto it anything like Tiger did.

If/when he gets there, then he may stay for a bit. I don't think he will stay there for years. He may swap between 1 ,a d2 for a while.

Agree with this.

I think it's going to be tough to hold it for long periods of time. There is too much talent right at the top and there's a jungle cat on a prowl. At some point in his career he will have it for a Norman/Tiger like time period, but not now.

I don't think anyone will ever hold on to the title for as long as Tigger or Norman did. I do think Rory will surprise quite a few people. He reminds me of the old fat fox in the chicken pen. The more chicken he eats, the more he will want :hungry:.

I too think he may pop in an out of #1 for a short while, but I believe he will have a Shark/Tiger like run on top later in his career.

I bet he doesn't hold on to it for a long time until after Tigger retires. :D

I too think he may pop in an out of #1 for a short while, but I believe he will have a Shark/Tiger like run on top later in his career.

This is how I feel as well. He gets it now and is in and out but he clears everyone else at some point, maybe a few years down the road. He just is too good to not hang on at the top at some point.

I could see him holding on to it for a while...

Well, based on his last 15 events or so, he'll be holding on to it for quite some time. He's the absolute model of consistency right now, ie Luke Donald, except he wins Majors and more frequently.

Well, based on his last 15 events or so, he'll be holding on to it for quite some time. He's the absolute model of consistency right now, ie Luke Donald, except he wins Majors and more frequently.

He just keeps getting better and better too. I wouldn't be surprised to this kid win another major this year.

I agree. Look at his finishes in his last 15 or so events. He is a top 10 machine, and capable of winning on any golf course.

I'm gonna say 2 years. I think Matteo or DJ will kick him off for a bit, but not for long. I can see the kid being #1 for a very long time.

As long as he stays playing good for a while so he can create a little breathing room between him and the rest of the crowd I believe he will have clear sailing from there on out for a significant amount of time.

I agree. Look at his finishes in his last 15 or so events. He is a top 10 machine, and capable of winning on any golf course.

And what's more impressive is that most of his Top 10's are actually top 3's. He's here to stay for a while I believe. He's absolutely built to win Majors too. Jeez, the Master's this year is going to be fantastic.

Back