Long term car rental

bahester

Follow me: @bahester
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 9.6
Has anybody ever rented a car for like 3 months at a time? I'm in quite the dilemma. I'm moving to Oregon in May and coming back in August. I have a few different options when it comes to transportation.

-Ship car (est. price ~2500$ back and forth). Comes with the risks of dents, dings, etc.
-Drive car (3000 miles each way). Should also mention my car happens to be a truck. Gas isn't cheap. Driving 10 hours for almost 5 days doesn't sound like much fun either
-Rent a car. Would need it from the middle of May until the middle of August. Looks to be about 2500$+
-Inquire about a short term lease somehow (Haven't researched this at all but someone threw the idea at me)

Unfortunately I won't be living close enough to work to really walk or use public transportation. Plus I plan to do quite a bit of traveling and exploring while I'm there visiting a few places, playing golf, etc. So I'd really like to have a car of some sort with me there. Anybody have any more ideas or advice about my situation? Thanks a bunch.

Aren't you going there for work? You might see if your employer will take care of it. If you drive your own car, they should at least pay you mileage.

Aren't you going there for work? You might see if your employer will take care of it. If you drive your own car, they should at least pay you mileage.

I have a relocation package that is one lump sum payment. It's up to me to figure out how to use that money.

Maybe buy a beater/w a heater out there??? lol

Bahester, it has been a long time since I have had to do what you're doing. But, most of the rental car companies offer long term rentals. Ususally, you have to call to get the best rates, rather than doing it online. I had some luck with Enterpriize. If you look at their website, you should find a button to click on for information about long term rentals. It should give you a phone number to call to get their rates. Good luck, bro.

Maybe a short term lease ?

Have you talked to any or the rental companies to see what they have available. For the outing I'm driving down in a rental, and online then a call to Avis got me the best price. It's only a week rental but they seem to have all kinds of programs especially for working people.

Maybe buy a beater/w a heater out there??? lol

I agree. You can probably buy a car that will get you through the 3 months for $1-2K.

Maybe a short term lease ?

Maybe, doesn't seem like too many places want to do that.

zipcar membership?

No idea what that is but I'll google it.
Have you talked to any or the rental companies to see what they have available. For the outing I'm driving down in a rental, and online then a call to Avis got me the best price. It's only a week rental but they seem to have all kinds of programs especially for working people.

I got a quote online from Hertz and Enterprise, still checking the others.

I agree. You can probably buy a car that will get you through the 3 months for $1-2K.

Hm, maybe. I don't want something that's going to break down all the time though.

A friend of mine just returned from 4 months in Europe. While there he bought a car with a "buy back guarantee" and returned it at the end of his stay. He said it cost significantly less than renting a vehicle for the time he was there.

A friend of mine just returned from 4 months in Europe. While there he bought a car with a "buy back guarantee" and returned it at the end of his stay. He said it cost significantly less than renting a vehicle for the time he was there.

Interesting. I'll google and see what I come up with.

Back