Giving up the Driver - just avoiding the problem?

Splendorlex

Reaction score
Handicap
40+
While every club in my bag is inconsistent, none of them are as glaringly inconsistent as the big stick. I can slice it to high heaven, pull it dead left when trying to correct for the slice, duff it, whiff it, hit it thin, fat, you name it. To make matters worse, the few times I do hit it fairly straight and the right general direction, my distance with it isn't doing me any favors. (I'd guess I hit it as far as 280 just once, one out of 10 "good" shots will top 240 or so.)

What often happens is that I flail around with it so much that I finally retire it for the day, and just hit my Adams 3H hole after hole, which I hit straight MUCH more consistently, even if it does only max out around 210ish.

So is putting the driver away just avoiding the problem, or is it smart golf? I've realized recently that one of the best ways to cut my scores down on the course is to quit trying to make shots that I have little chance of making. Sure, I have a 1 in 30 chance of hitting it just right under or through that tree, and I have a 1 in 40 chance of carrying the water hazard should I hit this shot perfect, but chances are I'll just dig myself deeper.

So have any of you retired the big stick at any point? Does anyone stay away from the "D" competely?

I think if you get fit for a driver and take a couple of lessons with it, it would do wonders and you wouldn't fear it. When I was starting out I had a wicked a slice as well and would only tee off with a 3 iron and I hated it. I had someone tell me to slow down my back swing and it straightened it out for me. Good luck man. I know your frustration.

I haven't disciplined myself enough to stay away from it completely. But, I do play it less and rely more on my 14* 3 wood. My driver is fitted and there are days when it is the best stick in my bag. Other times I want to post it for sale on Ebay. For now, I'll continue to use it sparingly, except on those days that I go out on the course with my instructor. I do still hit it daily, on the range.

I have a very on off relationship with mine (see here), longest out the bag is about 10 weeks and I can't currently tell you where it is as it's doing the rounds being lent round the club.

I've had lessons, video analysis, had the settings changed. Video shows the swing as identical frame by frame to my 3w which I hit just fine but something happens at impact and it can go anywhere, mostly a banana slice. Two bad shots, my head goes down, get frustrated and the rest of the round goes.
I played a round with all irons the other week and shot one the best scores ever. Did I enjoy that...? Damn right I did. Did I miss hitting woods.. nope.

I don't think there's any problem leaving it out the bag, nothing in the rules says you have to have it, lot of folks can't hit a 1 iron so don't carry one.
Phil ditched his for the 3 deep, no shame at all.

Play what you enjoy, play what will help you score. Driver may come back to you at some point but don't sweat it in the meantime.

I have done just this. I actually left my Driver at home and am using a number of different clubs than I normally do. I am teeing off with 3 different clubs depending on the hole. Mostly my 3 Deep but there are at least 2 holes I use my 5 wood and don't laugh but two par 5's I use my 3H on LoL. The two Par 5's are right next to the road and for some reason more than 50% of the time when I use anything bigger it is like a magnet for my golf balls. Not had a problem using the 3H at all as a matter of fact I am seeing better scores on those holes due to no OB over the road shots.

My overall scores are dropping with this approach now if I can just get my left pull out of my short putts.. LoL

I say you're avoiding the problem.
Definitely get fit or at least hit it on a LM and see if it'd the right stick for you. A couple lessons and basic fundamentals should have you hitting it better. Good luck bud.

I think not playing driver for a little while is OK, but if you take it out of the bag for an extended period of time you're just avoiding the issue. I always feel like if I were to stop using it for any length of time I'd be basically admitting defeat and it would affect me adversely mentally as I'd always be questioning my use of it. I think it's better to get some lessons and work through whatever issues are causing the troubles and get over the fear of using it instead.

I tend to agree with the general consensus here. I think putting it away will solve some problems but create others. Knowing when to hit driver and when not to can really help your game but if you're maxing 210 off the tee, chances are you're pulling longer clubs into greens or maybe not getting to them in regulation at all. A driver fitting is probably the best thing for you right now. Playing something fit for your swing could work wonders on your tee game.

Sorry to chime in again but one problem I see is that hitting a 3w or hybrid etc off the tee instead of working on the driver puts pressure on your game in the long run. The reason I say this is simple, you're losing distance and end up forcing shots off the tee and end up sacrificing accuracy/consistency.

smart golf...whats more fun hitting a driver who knows where or a 3 wood in play? I heard this one guy named Mickelson stays away from the "D" but what does he know :act-up:

I avoid problems all over the golf course. I avoid hazards, and rough and fescue if I can help it.

I choose what tools I use to do it with, no one can tell me otherwise.

There isn't a driver in my bag, but just ask anyone who I have played with and they will probably say I don't really need one based on how far I hit my 3W (or even my 5W for that matter)

A lot of it comes down to confidence, so I would suggest some lessons to work out the issues, especially if you have the same problem with any other clubs as that will most likely be a swing flaw that is exaggerated by the longer clubs in the bag

I can't say I miss the driver, but there are times when I play a longer course where I think that maybe the extra yards could put me in slightly better positions, but I would rather be guaranteed a pretty straight 3W shot than wondering where my driver might end up

If you don't feel confident on any given day, leave it out of the bag as distance isn't everything

It all depends on what your goals are. If you're just after score and you're better without the driver, leave it out. Many people don't carry a lob wedge because they can't hit them consistently and no one gives them any grief about that, so I don't see why a driver would be any different.

Personaly though, I couldn't do it. If I can't hit my driver well, it just means I need more practice with it. Right now I hit my 4I much better than my 3W, and I feel like a bit of a failure when I reach for the 4I and know I'll come up short with it. I'll be much happier once I gain some confidence with my 3W.

There is nothing wrong with removing the driver from the bag provided you playing the right tees to fit your tee game. Also know that you will eventually have to learn how to hit the club.

Getting a few lessons will help you to understand where the break down is occurring. So you can properly correct when you have missed shot. What is occurring now is that lack of knowledge. A good couple of lessons may instill some much need confidence with the driver and rest of the game over time.

smart golf...whats more fun hitting a driver who knows where or a 3 wood in play? I heard this one guy named Mickelson stays away from the "D" but what does he know :act-up:

Lefty has also packed two in the same bag, and packed a D and a 14* 3+W at the same time, IIRC. Saying Phil doesn't pack a driver because he didn't for links golf is disingenuous.

I'm inclined to agree with my coach: The driver isn't something radically different. It's still a golf club, like the other 12 in your bag (aside from your putter). You still take fundamentally the same swing, only with a slightly different setup as it's usually about the only time you want to hit up on the ball. Swing flaws in your driver aren't swing flaws in your "driver swing." They're swing flaws that are amplified due to an improper setup (to take into account hitting up on the ball) and desire to "really turn on the ball," then played out over the increased time and distance the ball is in the air. The result is inconsistent contact.

Take another look at your setup for the driver, or get a driver-specific lesson. Work on grooving a comfortable, repeatable swing with it, and then very slowly add speed. What you'll probably discover (as I did) is that you don't really need to add much pace at all. Good technique to get consistent, mid-face contact will do more than hitting it hard, IMO.

There is nothing wrong with removing the driver from the bag provided you playing the right tees to fit your tee game. Also know that you will eventually have to learn how to hit the club.

Getting a few lessons will help you to understand where the break down is occurring. So you can properly correct when you have missed shot. What is occurring now is that lack of knowledge. A good couple of lessons may instill some much need confidence with the driver and rest of the game over time.

Yup, driver is a great club to put in the closet until you gain some confidence and consistency with it. Playing it leads to changing things to hit it strait that may affect your swing with other clubs, leading to more frustration.

Even Harvey Penick used to tell students to put the driver away until they were proficient with their other clubs.

210 with a hybrid is plenty if you're playing 6000-6300 yards.

Lefty has also packed two in the same bag, and packed a D and a 14* 3+W at the same time, IIRC. Saying Phil doesn't pack a driver because he didn't for links golf is disingenuous.

I'm inclined to agree with my coach: The driver isn't something radically different. It's still a golf club, like the other 12 in your bag (aside from your putter). You still take fundamentally the same swing, only with a slightly different setup as it's usually about the only time you want to hit up on the ball. Swing flaws in your driver aren't swing flaws in your "driver swing." They're swing flaws that are amplified due to an improper setup (to take into account hitting up on the ball) and desire to "really turn on the ball," then played out over the increased time and distance the ball is in the air. The result is inconsistent contact.

Take another look at your setup for the driver, or get a driver-specific lesson. Work on grooving a comfortable, repeatable swing with it, and then very slowly add speed. What you'll probably discover (as I did) is that you don't really need to add much pace at all. Good technique to get consistent, mid-face contact will do more than hitting it hard, IMO.

I was just trying to point out that it's ok not to use a driver & not everyone needs a driver & using Phil as an example who currently is not using a driver. I think "disingenuous" was a bit harsh

There is nothing wrong with taking it out of the bag or choosing not to hit it during a round, but like others are saying - you will have to learn how to hit it. The driver is something that has taken the longest for me to learn how to hit, but I am making great strides hitting it this year - 7 years after I started playing golf. Getting fit, maybe a lesson or two and a few range sessions where all you hit is driver, driver and driver - will get you to a better spot with it. Good luck!

I think one certainly has to be able to learn to hit the driver but I also dont think it always has to be used. Especially if one can hit relativelly long enough. One can struggle keeping a driver in play but still hit long. and depending on the hole you are facing.

I think too many people (mid and high cappers like myself) unnecessarily pull the driver out on almost every hole even if they are decent with it. A tight dogleg, a shorter p4, an unforgiving landing area, etc, etc...There are many times its just not needed. I usualy average 9 or 10 driver uses per round at my locals.

Even when my driving is doing well on a given day I have no issue at all being on a 340 yrd hole with little room for error and using a 4i or a 5w off the tee. Being safely out there 200 or 230 and then huitting a 140 or 110 yrd approach vs being 270 and risk a fw bunker, or a run through a dogleg, or in a lateral hazrd, or outright hit an errant driver shot just to try to be 40 yrds closer. For those who do not hit as long with any club it becomes a bit more meaningful but still there are pelnty holes where what ever your distance is, its going to be better to keep the driver in the bag and not really necessary. Probably more holes than you might think especially if your not playing the blues.

Sure, I can screw up the 4i or 5w from the tee too but if I do its not as bad of a screw up vs srewing up the driver and it also takes the riskier landing areas out of play and also offers a wider, safer area thats just more forgiving to land in.. But this just depends on the hole you are facing. The legnth and the conditions or lay-out of the hole your currently playing.

I do think one has to be able to hit driver and should and i also dont believe in the logic of "dont ever use it" because one has to learn and improve with it but I think it also should come with knowing (more often for the lesser ability player like myself) when it its necessary and when its not.

I still carry a driver but have gotten so off/on with it that I find myself teeing off with my 3W or 3H a lot more. If I have plenty of room to miss, I'll still swing it but my scores have dropped a little by playing from the fairway more often.
I know I should just put in the time and work it out though.

I also had major problems with my driver. I did a combination of things to correct it. First and most importantly... Lessons! Best way to spend your money. You also may want to consider cutting it down an inch or so. A fitting might help a lot. I stuck with it though and made it through to the other side. I no longer have that sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach when I walk up to the tee, feels good!

I used to never hit driver, it was primarily 3w but I also had a 2h that I felt great about, I hit both of them off any tee and just got myself into play and even at times I would shoot for bogey instead of par on certain holes. You have to play to your strengths and avoid the big numbers!

I played without driver for years, opting for 3W off the tee. It wasn't until a few years ago that I put a driver back in.

I essentially stopped hitting driver because of control issues and recently figured it out. I will say that being able to bomb it with the driver takes so much pressure off of the game it's ridiculous. Whether it be equipment tweaking or simply a slight adjustment of the swing, those yards can make the game completely different.

So in short, I say bench the big dog but be prepared to do the work to make it a weapon. Your game will appreciate it and your scores will drop.

Back