Time to update the Irons

tmonty80

Reaction score
Handicap
Well folks, I think it is time to update my irons. I haven't played regularly in a few years but am really trying to get back into the game this summer. I have been playing alot this summer and have a handicap of 17 with a swing speed of 90-95mph. I am currently playing with an old (1996) set of Callaway Big Bertha irons. I really have my eye on the Taylor Made Burner 1.o, I have heard good things and when i was able to swing it at Dick's it felt great right away. Also looking at them because I have a pretty limited budget to spend on a new set of irons. Any suggestions from you guys? Thanks in advance for all the help you give.

If possible, it is highly recommended that you get fit. If nothing else, to get you into the correct shaft/loft/lie angle and then you could make choices based on price, etc. Unfortunately, things that feel great do not always translate to the course....I have made that mistake several times.

If possible, it is highly recommended that you get fit. If nothing else, to get you into the correct shaft/loft/lie angle and then you could make choices based on price, etc. Unfortunately, things that feel great do not always translate to the course....I have made that mistake several times.

+1 from me. Best thing I did was get fit for my current irons

+1 to getting a fitting. Even if you end up buying online that way you will know what specs to order your clubs in. It's amazing what a proper fitting set of clubs will do for your game.

As far as clubs and your budget, a price range might be beneficial for recomendations.

Do yourself a huge favor and go through the process of being fitted. After being fitted, I have been playing the same irons for 8+ years now (Titleist 690CB's.)

I think you should absolutely get fitted. Go to a golf store and try out as many kinds as you can. That will really help you narrow it down.

What sort of budget are you looking at?

Thanks for all the great advice guys. I will definately be going to get a fitting done before I do anything else.

My budgett will be around the 400 dollar range.

I am actually doing the same thing right now. I have the 04 Big Bertha irons set and a friend offered me his X22 iron set for $200. As a lefty it can be hard to find deals and this is a 10 club set in great condition (3 not even opened). I went and hit them and was surprised how similar they were to my 04 set. The soles are more narrow and they did give me bigger, more pro style divots but the flight and distance of the clubs were extremely similar. For $200 I am going to get them and then go get them fitted. Depending on your budget Callawaypreowned.com has iron sets at good prices that come in great condition and they have more than just Callaway (but why would you want anything else). The Big Bertha Irons are a very good set and it will be hard to improve on their forgiveness. I reccomend hitting whatever you buy first side by side with the same iron of your old set to see the difference. Then get fit for them. Golfsmith and golfgalaxy usually give free fittings if you buy an iron set from them and I know Golf Galaxy has Diablo Edges on sale for $400 right now but again it all depends on your budget. Good Luck!

You're going to be limited in what you can get with that budget. Not to say you can't get a quality set of clubs that work for you, but you won't be custom ordering irons most likely.

Look at the W/S Di-11's. pjcedog is very correct that they are a great value and excellent clubs.

Definitely get fit. Most will deduct the cost of the fitting if you get the clubs from them, so you will not be incurring another expense.

I should also add that if you buy a used set from most large golf retailers, they will usually do loft/lie alterations free for you.

No matter what brand you go with, as others have already pointed out, going through a proper fitting is a must. You want your clubs to be fit to your swing and style. Once you have the information, most any club can be adjusted with little cost to fit you.

Thanks for all the great advice guys. I will definately be going to get a fitting done before I do anything else.

My budgett will be around the 400 dollar range.

Like others have said, fitting is crucial as is hitting as many as you can. Hit every model of irons until you find the one that just speaks to you. After you have identified what is right for you, then go about trying to find a good deal on it. With your set-up, you might not need a full set either, but can order 5 or 6 club sets and upgrade your wedges later.

I will add my recommendation to what has already been said about fitting. The other piece of advice I have is - be patient! Hard do do when you want new irons. But you have clubs that serve the purpose and you've been happy with. So take your time, hit a lot of irons, and watch for sales and perhaps used clubs in good condition. For instance, a local retailer has a set of "demo" Taylormade Burner 2.0 irons and five of the irons still have their heads in plastic wrap. Price is $375. So there are some great clubs out there in your price range, but be patient, test some out, and make an informed choice.

Thanks for all the great advice you guys. This is all giving me alot to think about. I will definately be getting fit the very next chance i get. I have a hit a couple different irons, the Burner 1.o and the Adams Idea a7. The a7 wasn't too bad, felt good after a few swings. The Burner 1.0 felt amazing from the first swing. I am not limiting myself though, will be swinging more clubs before I buy something.

You're going to be limited in what you can get with that budget. Not to say you can't get a quality set of clubs that work for you, but you won't be custom ordering irons most likely.

Look at the W/S Di-11's. pjcedog is very correct that they are a great value and excellent clubs.

Thanks Hawk. Don't overlook used either. I think the average person can play a ton of great golf with a set of pre-owned clubs. As long as the grooves are in good shape and you have them fitted you can even replace the shafts and grips and they will play as well as anything you can buy new or custom, maybe better. I think I have bought one set of brand new irons in the past 40 years.

Oh, I have no problem getting a used set. I was thinking of doing that anyways, if I can find such a good deal on used ones I can't turn it down. I was looking at the burners because I have heard so many good things about them and then when I swung it and hit a coupld balls it felt great right away. Next time I am at the store I will look at the Wilsons.

Just got a set of Taylormade R9 irons for $384 dollars and I absolutely LOVE THEM.

Mizuno. I'll be getting a new set of irons next month and going with mizunos just not sure which ones yet because i'm waiting on the 59s and 69s to be released. Once they are released i'll be demoing them and choosing a combo set with one of these 4 models(59, 63, 68, 69). Already like the 63s and 68s but figured id try the new ones as well. Mizuno's feel is amazing and their selection is great so i save give them a swing.

Back