One ball or multiple?

For years my bag only has had only Pro V1x in it. However, this year, I've been fooling around with Penta's, Z-Star's and a couple different Bridgestone's. The Penta has my interest right now and patiently await the new Penta. They are all good balls.

I am a one ball guy for the most part, for the last few months in has been the Penta, but as soon as I run out of the two dozen I have left, I'm going to be playing the Q-Star exclusively.

I try to stick with the ball that is best for my game. I have played the Bridgestone E6 for over a year but have recently been trying the QStaar which looks like it will be replacing the E6.

I used to be a ProV guy only.
Then I got fit for the Bridgestone B-330S and fell in love with them.
Then I tried the TM Penta TP and am now completely sold on those.
I still have few of the B-330S in the bag, but the TP's are my mainstay.

I'm pretty much a golf ball junkie. My philosophy is "So many golf balls, so few rounds." But I do have my favorites and I can tell pretty quickly when a ball doesn't feel right or fit my game.
Right now I like the Srixon balls I've played - Z-Star, Q-Star and Trispeed (except for putting). I like the TM Penta TP and the Callaway Tour iZ. I'd be happy playing any of those five balls forever, but not sure I could choose any one over any other. Callaway has the best piercing trajectory for me and is about 10 yards longer, so I use that on longer courses or in the wind. Q-Star and Callaway when I want to be sure I stay in the fairway. Z-Star when I want to fire right at the pins. Penta when my swing is on because it can go sideways on me when I have a bad hair day.

sticking with one ball is ideal for me because i like to know what the ball is going to do as far as spin, roll and feel. but recently ive been playing the gamer more then the penta and im becoming a fan

sticking with one ball is ideal for me because i like to know what the ball is going to do as far as spin, roll and feel. but recently ive been playing the gamer more then the penta and im becoming a fan

A Gamer over a Penta? Never though I'd see the day... Not that I don't like the Gamer; it gives me at least 5 yards more, and definitely is better for my long game. But I make my money within 100 yards, and that's where the Penta really shines

I always carry 10 balls in my bag, and they are not a specific brand. I recently played with Precept laddie x and didn't want to lose all of them so I would just keep one of the crappy balls in my pocket.

I usually use the Srixon AD333. But I have a few others Srixon, Nike that I work in there from time to time. I also tested the Vision balls.

A Gamer over a Penta? Never though I'd see the day... Not that I don't like the Gamer; it gives me at least 5 yards more, and definitely is better for my long game. But I make my money within 100 yards, and that's where the Penta really shines

me either but i really like the one hop and stop that the gamer gives me

I carry 3-4 of my "good balls" (currently NXT Tours; sometimes Bridgestone E5s), and 6 or so found balls. After the good balls are gone, on to the found balls. If it's a tough or unfamiliar course, I double those numbers, but stick to three good balls per nine.

This is a big change this year -- I'm not losing as many balls, often finish a round with 0-2 lost balls. Previous years, double digits wasn't out of the question.

I use two or three different balls. Sometimes it helps me to switch and blame the ball for a bad hole.

I use to use one ball until I became a Vision Golf ball user. Then I found out the advantages of using balls with different attributes to help my game. They have a few that ignore the wind, others that 'glow' for low visibility and always have a consistant roll out rather than a unjudgeable back spin. We have players that have changed balls during a round to take advantage of the elements rather than have them play against them.eg. into headwind or cross brease the ball that cheats the wind and tailwind maybe a better control ball. I haven't said what's what as the developer likes his users to discover how they best work for them and give feedback so he can design a better ball.

I use two or three different balls. Sometimes it helps me to switch and blame the ball for a bad hole.

Hahaha yup... it's always the equipment's fault

I use to use one ball until I became a Vision Golf ball user. Then I found out the advantages of using balls with different attributes to help my game. They have a few that ignore the wind, others that 'glow' for low visibility and always have a consistant roll out rather than a unjudgeable back spin. We have players that have changed balls during a round to take advantage of the elements rather than have them play against them.eg. into headwind or cross brease the ball that cheats the wind and tailwind maybe a better control ball. I haven't said what's what as the developer likes his users to discover how they best work for them and give feedback so he can design a better ball.

I do like the direction Vision is taking with their balls, but until they become readily available in the U.S. I'm not willing to pay that much to get an order out here. And also, I prefer spinnier balls with backspin, so I would be using their tour-type balls anyways...

Only one I play Pro V1x , Tried some Penta's when I tee'ed it up with 10 yd draw a week or so ago. They lasted 3 holes till I got out the Titleist balls. Lately I have been gaming the x-outs or pratice Pro V1x's , I bought a box of x-outs while in Cinti @ the Ohio get together and these were all 2011 balls that play as good as the regular balls. Maybe it's the savings on price or the fact that they are marked x-out , but I seem to play better with them because it is the no fear thing I guess because they didn't cost $46 a dozen , I don't know.

Multiple, but I am about to swap to the Pro V1x full time. It is just giving me good results.

I play the RX330 most of the time but when I can't find the groove I'll switch to the ball I used when I first learned to play golf... a good ol' Noodle. For some reason I can control it easily and make good contact. I don't play it regularly because it doesn't go as far as the RX.

I do like to experiment though. I recently tried the Penta and 20XI.

Golf balls are like candy: you always want more and you don't want to lose 'em.

I bought a box of x-outs while in Cinti @ the Ohio get together and these were all 2011 balls that play as good as the regular balls. Maybe it's the savings on price or the fact that they are marked x-out , but I seem to play better with them because it is the no fear thing I guess because they didn't cost $46 a dozen , I don't know.

What is the exact different between x-outs and unmarked balls?

I play the RX330 most of the time but when I can't find the groove I'll switch to the ball I used when I first learned to play golf... a good ol' Noodle. For some reason I can control it easily and make good contact. I don't play it regularly because it doesn't go as far as the RX.

Really? You find the Noodle to be shorter than the RX? I can easily can up to 10 yards with the Noodle, even the it feels like a brick (unless you use the Long & Soft, which isn't too bad :D)

I watched the Golf Fix last night and they talked to a Titleist rep and he said(father told me at dinner) "during a round whatever ball you start with, finish with it.." "don't pick up a ball out of the woods and play it. You don't know how that ball will react to your game" found that interesting stuff

I watched the Golf Fix last night and they talked to a Titleist rep and he said(father told me at dinner) "during a round whatever ball you start with, finish with it.." "don't pick up a ball out of the woods and play it. You don't know how that ball will react to your game" found that interesting stuff

LOL but I only pick up balls I've played before out of the woods: Pro Vs, Pentas, Srixons, Bridgestone, Noodles. I just leave Top-Flites and the like. Although I do generally try to keep to specific balls I've played before, unless it's a hole with a big hazard or something.

Moving on, I love the Golf Fix. They have some really interesting tips. I watched an episode on bunker play, and bam!... I'm a better bunker player

I stick with one ball. I know how the ball will react when I hit it good or bad. Consistency is what I am looking for and switching balls out throws me off.

What is the exact different between x-outs and unmarked balls?

Everything I have read say that x-outs are the same ball except they have cosmetic blemishes , ex: crooked writing, number miss aligned , they are the same conforming ball that didn't pass visual inspection. $29.99 vs $45.99 at Golf Galaxy.
Don't get me wrong I still buy and play the regular 2011 Pro V1x but when I'm just out playing around or playing a course I have never played with allot of trouble the x-outs fill the bill

Last edited:
I try to play different balls to match conditions, but don't really think its doing me a lot of good. Days with soft greens and hard fairways I'll play a rockflight at times just to get distance and come in with something that releases towards the hole.

If I'm playing a competitive round I'll stick with my Penta TPs, but if playing a fun round I'll play any ball I've found.

Really? You find the Noodle to be shorter than the RX? I can easily can up to 10 yards with the Noodle, even the it feels like a brick (unless you use the Long & Soft, which isn't too bad :D)

I think the RX goes about 10 yards further than the Long and Soft, for me that is.

Back