Golfs Shoe Styles - Has Your Tastes Changed?

I used to be a FJ guy through and through from classics to Dryjoys. Then went the way of Nike for a long time and have since gone the sporty route with my Asics which fit me like a glove! Thinking of trying the new Nike Lunars for the fall.
Since being at THP I've gotten a greater appreciation for what is out there in the market place.

Brought to by iPhone 4 powered by Tapatalk

Heck yes duey. But not only shoes. Shirts, shorts, clubs, everything has changed for me in the last three years.

Good point Smallie, I guess THP has been a pretty good resource for making more informed personal decisions. With a gazillion offerings from so many different companies in every niche of the game it only makes sense to be informed of whats out there and that's what sort of led me to make this thread.

While THP doesn't lead me to one brand over another, it show's me what's out there to chose from. I still say those Adidas Tour 360's are the cats meow, haha

Good point Smallie, I guess THP has been a pretty good resource for making more informed personal decisions. With a brazillion offerings from so many different companies in every niche of the game it only makes sense to be informed of whats out there and that's what sort of led me to make this thread.

While THP doesn't lead me to one brand over another, it show's me what's out there to chose from. I still say those Adidas Tour 360's are the cats meow, haha

Had to fix that.

I used to be a FJ guy through and through from classics to Dryjoys. Then went the way of Nike for a long time and have since gone the sporty route with my Asics which fit me like a glove! Thinking of trying the new Nike Lunars for the fall.
Since being at THP I've gotten a greater appreciation for what is out there in the market place.

Brought to by iPhone 4 powered by Tapatalk

Great post!

I used to only liked the saddle style shoes. I still have a pair and like them, but also like the newer styled shoes. Still can't get into the tennis shoe looking ones. But shoes like the Adipure and Lunars and even some of the more conservative Puma shoes look good to me. My last purchase was the Air Zoom Elite II.

I bought my FJ CONTOURS this spring most comfortable shoe ever sometimes i catch my self driving home after a round with them on forgetting to take off. Not sure on the look of the others right now happy with what i have for now...
398219366.jpg

I bought my FJ CONTOURS this spring most comfortable shoe ever sometimes i catch my self driving home after a round with them on forgetting to take off. Not sure on the look of the others right now happy with what i have for now...
398219366.jpg

I have a pair of these also, great shoe.

I think the creativity of some companies has been fantastic, but I do not care for the casual looking shoes that are popping up, like some of the Ecco line and more recently this Nike slam dunky looking street shoe.. I personally feel that golf attire and the perception of golfers should be clearly separated from someone who is (for example) walking down the street. And that's not to say I don't like sleek, new age designs, but I think there is tact.

Take the new adidas Porsche design. It's definitely edgy and new age, but you wouldn't ever see anyone wearing a similar shoe in a casual setting, at least I don't think.

With that said, I do think the Nike shox golf shoe and maybe even a couple of the other companies generating "sporty" looks might be taking it a bit far as well.

398219366.jpg

Thats one of my shoe's now, just a different color. They have done me well over several years, hard to complain.

really like those shoes, Rob

I think it's really fantastic that there's so much variety to choose from. Even FootJoy is evolving and offering shoes that are not classically styled. Here's the one I'm currently wearing, and it's comfortable and stylish IMO.

SPRLTEUROWHTBRN

If I wasn't wearing FootJoy, I'd probably be in one of the more athletic varieties from Adidas. There's no break in period with Adidas shoes. Just put em on and they're comfortable from the first swing.

Very interesting thread. THP has definitely opened my eyes to more brands (although i still wear the brands we carry :) ).

My dad was a die-hard Foot Joy user for years and years. B/c we don't carry Foot Joy he decided to try the Adidas 360s and he loves them. He's a total convert from FJ. I also love my Adidas shoes. I have a pair of Pumas (more like a tennis shoe, with soft spikes on the whole sole), but the traction is not as good as the Adidas I have. I have FJs, but I'm only eh about them (I like both my Pumas and Adidas better). I just saw the thread yesterday about the Vibrams. I haven't tried them and I personally feel like the more traction I get the better I tend to drive the ball, so the natural feel may not be as good for me. Style is actually second to the way the shoe performs for me (although color may be a different story).

My tastes have changed in that I now am more open to different brands (I used to be a FJ loyalist) but I still prefer the traditional, "saddle" style golf shoes. Im still not ready for golf shoes that look like sneakers.
As much as I love my Chucks as a casual shoe, Im not ready to rock them on the golf course.

I must say I've always liked Adidas and THP has helped me like them even more.

I have fallen in love with adidas and Nike shoes since joining THP, and the sportier golf shoes in general.

i had been a traditionalist until recently and sported mostly fj's with a nike thrown in every once in a while. i recently bought a pair of adipure z's because there was nothing else in my size. i hoped they would break in a bit better but addidas just seems to be made for narrow feet, even more so than nike's. i love the look but they're just not comfortable for me so i since bought a pair of truelinkswear true tours. they're definitely not a traditional looking shoe but they're certainly one of the most comfortable.

white_black_pair_square_2549.jpg

I don't think I've ever worn orange on my feet but I actually kind of love it.

55a.jpg

i had been a traditionalist until recently and sported mostly fj's with a nike thrown in every once in a while. i recently bought a pair of adipure z's because there was nothing else in my size. i hoped they would break in a bit better but addidas just seems to be made for narrow feet, even more so than nike's. i love the look but they're just not comfortable for me so i since bought a pair of truelinkswear true tours. they're definitely not a traditional looking shoe but they're certainly one of the most comfortable.

white_black_pair_square_2549.jpg

I'm pretty sure we have a review on these somewhere on THP. What do you think of the traction and overall performance of these? I can't say I'm a fan of the looks.

55a.jpg

This is what sort of shocks me as far as styles go. I've always been pretty traditional, yet I think I could rock these if it was simply about looks. Good looking shoe right there.

I think it's really fantastic that there's so much variety to choose from. Even FootJoy is evolving and offering shoes that are not classically styled. Here's the one I'm currently wearing, and it's comfortable and stylish IMO.

SPRLTEUROWHTBRN

If I wasn't wearing FootJoy, I'd probably be in one of the more athletic varieties from Adidas. There's no break in period with Adidas shoes. Just put em on and they're comfortable from the first swing.

I'm right there with this thought. I just received my first pair of adidas in the Powerband 3.0s and from the moment I stepped onto the course they felt great. Absolutely no need to 'break them in' and they didn't hurt or blister my feet in the least.

55a.jpg

Love these, really been trying to figure out a way to get into some of these (probably the blue variety though myself) or the Jiggs. I blame THP and JB for my new found addiction...

398219366.jpg

I won a pair of Contours and they really are the most comfortable shoes I've worn. I just am not a huge fan of the design, but when I want to be comfortable I really don't care how they look! I'm a much bigger fan of the Addidas shoes or classic looking shoes.

THP has definitely made me try on every Adidas, Nike, and Ecco shoe I've come accross, but they just don't fit my wide foot. I would really like to venture out but currently all my shoes are FJ.

The closer a golf shoe is to a running shoe with added spikes the more I like them. Puma, Nike and Adidas have been putting out some great stuff. Cell Fusion's, Ace, Lunar Links, Air Dormie and Traxion lite are all ones that grab my eye.

I personally still have a wicked hard time finding a shoe that not only fits but is also comfortable regardless of the style. At least in Canada is tricky to find something with good support and a narrow heel

really like those shoes, Rob

Thanks! They're FootJoy Men's SuperLite Euro Golf Shoes. Discontinued, but I think still available at various internet retailers for under $70.

My shoe tastes have changed so much over the past few years. When I first got into golf I liked the classic saddle shoe, then my tastes changed to the more sneaker like golf shoe and now I am all about the casual look. I love that I can wear that style both on and off the course and I haven't personally found any issues with slipping due to the lack of spikes. I am sure next year my tastes will change again. But hey, I'm a woman, we change our minds a lot. ; )

My shoe tastes have changed so much over the past few years. When I first got into golf I liked the classic saddle shoe, then my tastes changed to the more sneaker like golf shoe and now I am all about the casual look. I love that I can wear that style both on and off the course and I haven't personally found any issues with slipping due to the lack of spikes. I am sure next year my tastes will change again. But hey, I'm a woman, we change our minds a lot. ; )

But whatever you change your mind to you'll always be right! :laugh:

Back