AQ, I feel you. I came down here for a cousins wedding and I ended up buying a house. I think the cost and playability has something to do with all the courses down here as well. Don't get me wrong there are some goat tracks here too but they're not going to charge you an arm and a leg to play it. Think of it like Vegas hotels... there's just so many that they're fighting for the same dollar and to get that dollar they have to either get a better facility, charge less, and/or both. The heat you'll get used to and half the time if you're working here you're in AC anyway. I always told folks that if you can get a decent paying job here and you can stand the slower pace then it's a great place to live. It also helps that we don't pay a state income tax either.

Good luck with the sell and maybe we'll see you in a couple of years.

Seeing the house prices makes me cry. What i got for 225 here is nothing to what I could get for that elsewhere.

Yoiu guys have great golf up there. Again I don't mean this is a Florida specific thing I just used the courses we just played as an example. I'm simply stating that the golf in this specific area is expensive and crappy.

Are there no decent semi-private clubs in the area? I have a blast at the one I belong to. It's not Augusta, but it's fun and challenging. The people are great. Reasonably priced. I'm feeling kind of bad for you.

Kevin

Are there no decent semi-private clubs in the area? I have a blast at the one I belong to. It's not Augusta, but it's fun and challenging. The peopleReasonably priced. I'm feeling kind of bad for you.

Kevin

The only semi private club is in its first year back from bankruptcy and it's a shell of its former self. It used to be THE premier private club until the company running it ran it straight into the ground and now it's pretty rough. Sad too because I remember playing tournaments there as a junior and loving every second of it.

Spirit Hollow, Brown Deer and ????? I'm being serious here and trying to brainstorm. Finkbine was a real letdown. Pretty awful course IMO.

We have The General in Galena, a couple in Des Moines, Blue Top Ridge, Fyre Lake (if it doesn't go belly up), Peoria has some nice courses. They are just a drive and driving sucks. I'm telling you that the course I'm playing on Sunday is fun. It's not hard as hell, but it has some good character and doesn't involve missing the trees so much. Some good risk/reward holes too.

We have The General in Galena, a couple in Des Moines, Blue Top Ridge, Fyre Lake (if it doesn't go belly up), Peoria has some nice courses. They are just a drive and driving sucks. I'm telling you that the course I'm playing on Sunday is fun. It's not hard as hell, but it has some good character and doesn't involve missing the trees so much. Some good risk/reward holes too.

Galena good call, worth a look. I have heard mixed reviews though. Des Moines is like 3 hours away fool. I would go to chicago before I went there. Or go see Mr Cheesefarts.

The only semi private club is in its first year back from bankruptcy and it's a shell of its former self. It used to be THE premier private club until the company running it ran it straight into the ground and now it's pretty rough. Sad too because I remember playing tournaments there as a junior and loving every second of it.

I just love being a member somewhere. Even if i could play better golf courses. With the amount of golf we play it's cheaper, slow play is not a problem, and I have the freedom to play whenever I feel like it. We have a private club here I always dreamed of joining but could never afford it. Like many it's now struggling, and we've been talking about it because the cost has dropped so much.

But golf is expensive in the Midwest if you want to play quality golf at a lot of different courses. That down time in the Winter has to be covered.

Kevin

Galena good call, worth a look. I have heard mixed reviews though. Des Moines is like 3 hours away fool. I would go to chicago before I went there. Or go see Mr Cheesefarts.

All those courses suck JRod. Sell the house and come on down bro. I'll help you unpack and move stuff.

I enjoyed The General when I played it, but wow, it was like FL hot the day I did. Brutal down in those bluffs. You bring should Hawk with you when you do your fitting. We'll find something nice to play. He can give us a few strokes.

Kevin

All those courses suck JRod. Sell the house and come on down bro. I'll help you unpack and move stuff.

Well thats happening either way bro. Like I said we've already made the decision it's just a fact of unloading some assets that don't move. Mainly a house. You need a vacation spot in the armpit of the US?

Well thats happening either way bro. Like I said we've already made the decision it's just a fact of unloading some assets that don't move. Mainly a house. You need a vacation spot in the armpit of the US?

Sorry bro, Iowa has nothing for me.

I'll tell you, my niece and her husband love NC. He loves the golf courses, though they belong to a private club where he plays most of his golf. He's played up your way.

Kevin

I would like to come to any cheese lover gathering. I like the packers. I will not give strokes though.

Atleast its not North Dakota.

I'll tell you, my niece and her husband love NC. He loves the golf courses, though they belong to a private club where he plays most of his golf. He's played up your way.

Kevin

You need to come visit them. I love this state man, especially for golf. We really have it all.

You need to come visit them. I love this state man, especially for golf. We really have it all.

Enough, you're killing me here. So if I move to TN do I have to become a Vols fan, cause that will never happen.

I would like to come to any cheese lover gathering. I like the packers. I will not give strokes though.

Maybe I'll give you a couple instead. We'll play it forward, and we'll make the tall man play it backward. He hits it a long way.

Kevin

Maybe I'll give you a couple instead. We'll play it forward, and we'll make the tall man play it backward. He hits it a long way.

Kevin

That's what I always do. Otherwise he's hitting 4 irons all day. I'd really love to come, btw. My birthday is in October and I always try to play a nice course in celebration of my mortality.

Well as soon as someone buys my irons I'll have a date booked for Olympia Kevin and we can begin the final plans.

Yeah, but they have four kids under five. That makes me hesitate.

Watching the Packers on DVR. This Rodgers kid can play a little bit.

Kevin

Yeah, but they have four kids under five. That makes me hesitate.

Watching the Packers on DVR. This Rodgers kid can play a little bit.

Kevin

You know the wifey loves the Pack, we watched the game. He's good, real good. So good, I may shave my face to look like his.

I feel your pain. But am very fortunate that i now have a job at my local golf course and get to play for free.:banana::banana:

Seeing the house prices makes me cry. What i got for 225 here is nothing to what I could get for that elsewhere.

Dude I know how you feel. My old shack in Jersey paying unreal property taxes was ridiculous. Of course the housing market isn't as much a roller coaster as it is down here. Good thing about that is if you play it smart you can use that to your advantage. Lots of pluses and minuses wherever you go so you just have to decide what's best. Just take your time and don't rush things (although if a good deal comes along you better make sure you're ready to pull the trigger).

Yep we will be moving hopefully by next winter, but for sure by the summer after. We are looking either in Florida down closer to the gulf or Eastern TN or Western NC, round TC's neck of the woods.
TC's pics of the golf he plays makes me insanely jealous. I love golf in Florida too, especially Grand Cypress but the beauty and challenge of some of those courses TC posts up makes me want to move....if only everyone wasn't kissing their cousins down there. :devil:

That's what I always do. Otherwise he's hitting 4 irons all day. I'd really love to come, btw. My birthday is in October and I always try to play a nice course in celebration of my mortality.

Well as soon as someone buys my irons I'll have a date booked for Olympia Kevin and we can begin the final plans.

High School golf is over 10/11. A week or so after would rock. Weather gets iffy after that. We need to get this done.

Kevin

Dude I know how you feel. My old shack in Jersey paying unreal property taxes was ridiculous. Of course the housing market isn't as much a roller coaster as it is down here. Good thing about that is if you play it smart you can use that to your advantage. Lots of pluses and minuses wherever you go so you just have to decide what's best. Just take your time and don't rush things (although if a good deal comes along you better make sure you're ready to pull the trigger).

Yep thats why were taking it slow. My property taxes here are ridiculous.

Back