Golf Etc iron fitting experience

Sounds like you had a good experience there, I wish we had one here still, we had a Golf Etc for a while a couple of years ago and it was becoming my favorite place to go and look at golf stuff but then it suddenly closed and I have not found a place I like better since.

Thanks for posting this, we have a new Golf Etc franchise open up in Champaign (at least I think it's fairly new) and I've been thinking about checking them out.

That's great that you had such a great experience. I visited one here in Albuquerque NM yesterday because a friend went in and did the evaluation and had his clubs re-shafted cut and adjusted. He spent 350 dollars to upgrade his older Nike Slingshots. New the sets are going for 300 new now. He was guaranteed 2-20 strokes off of his game. 2 seems reasonable, but 20??? He wouldn't stop talking about it so I went in to see what the fuss was about. From the Moment I walk in I was being sold on a 150 dollar club evaluation of my current clubs. This was to take 2.5 hours, they would tell me where my clubs were lacking and how to bridge the gap if there were any over laps ect. I currently use a set of Burner 1.0 with a uniflex shaft and have been looking at upgrading. So I'm told I need to take this evaluation to tell me where I'm coming up short and to make educated suggestions of what set to go with next. I'm not going to spend the money to re-shaft and spine align a 400 dollar set of Irons that I already wanted to replace so why do I need to hit my current clubs? I'm thinking I should just be able to order them to specs during a fitting. Then I'm told if I were to order a nicer set of clubs, Titleist/ Mizuno/ Taylormade ect in the 800-1000 dollar range that they come from the factory and they are not always a matching set. The shaft stiffness tolerance very and they are not always spine aligned from the factory. So I was basically encouraged to order a custom set from the factory, with the cheapest shafts so I can then have the shafts re-placed with the proper ones and have them re-built in the store so that they would be spine aligned. Would it not be better to just order a set of heads and have them built in the store? It is a franchise and I'm sure experience will very with who you deal with. But to me I felt like I was trying to being taken for a ride. The whole Idea of being fitted to me means I am supposed to find a Iron that I hit well and like. Then fine tune it to "fit" my swing speed, temp ect. So I searched reviews to see if anyone had another experience similar to mine and found this forum. Again I'm glad you had a good experience, I my first impression went a little better. The technology they have seems to be pretty sweet and I may go back and express my concerns. The fitting was not offered to be included to if I bought the Irons either. I understand that people are in the business to put food on the table but there has to be a line drawn somewhere.

Wow Jeffery, I hate that your experience was so different from mine. Mine was completely the opposite, with really no "push" to spend money. I originally brought in a few irons to have the lofts checked, which was free. I mentioned to them that I thought I was going to buy a new set in the near future and would come in and do a full fitting, the guy told me that was awesome and he really reccomended doing a fitting. Just to let them know when I thought I was ready to do it. The fitting was advertised at 80 bucks, with no mention of being knocked off if you purchased clubs. But when I went to ring up, the clubs didn't include the price of the fitting.

That is the nature of franchises I guess. Good luck finding a good shop to do a fitting for you. Stick around the site, there is a lot of good information here. I know the site has helped me out alot. I probably would have never thought to go through fitting if not for this site.

Off the top of my head the Balls he pointed out were the Prov1x, 330RX, 20XIX, Penta, Nike One Vapor Speed, and Z-star. I've played the 330RX, 20XIX and Penta, and like all three of those. The 20XIX is probably my favorite ball, but they are just expensive with no deals to be had. I have been playing mid priced balls lately since I am still losing quite a few on my drives. The only ball under 30 I have really been impressed with is the Gamer V2. It feels the closest to a premium ball out of all of the under 30 crowd. Which is nice because it is under 20 even. The one I'm tempted to give a whirl is the Nike One Vapor Speed, they aren't too bad price wise. I'll be interested what he has to say when I do the full ball fitting. I did notice the software had a specific setting for ball fittings.

Grats on the new irons! As for balls if you like the penta you can buy the "practice" ones (pretty much the same ball) for 20$ a dozen.

Where are the Penta practice balls for 20? I always see them for 30. And at that price the 2 for 3 deal is actually the better price.

Wow Jeffery, I hate that your experience was so different from mine. Mine was completely the opposite, with really no "push" to spend money. I originally brought in a few irons to have the lofts checked, which was free. I mentioned to them that I thought I was going to buy a new set in the near future and would come in and do a full fitting, the guy told me that was awesome and he really reccomended doing a fitting. Just to let them know when I thought I was ready to do it. The fitting was advertised at 80 bucks, with no mention of being knocked off if you purchased clubs. But when I went to ring up, the clubs didn't include the price of the fitting.

That is the nature of franchises I guess. Good luck finding a good shop to do a fitting for you. Stick around the site, there is a lot of good information here. I know the site has helped me out alot. I probably would have never thought to go through fitting if not for this site.

It's the nature of the beast. Fortunately we have a good selection of pro shops in ABQ with great selections and help.

Sorry to resurrect an old thread. A Golf Etc opened by my house this year and I was pondering going for a fitting. Has anyone else had fittings there? This was the only forum thread I could find.

They charge $250 for a complete fitting (driver, fw/hybrids, irons, wedges, and putter). That's just for fitting; not including cost of any equipment. Is that price steep compared to others like Golf Tec?

Sorry to resurrect an old thread. A Golf Etc opened by my house this year and I was pondering going for a fitting. Has anyone else had fittings there? This was the only forum thread I could find.

They charge $250 for a complete fitting (driver, fw/hybrids, irons, wedges, and putter). That's just for fitting; not including cost of any equipment. Is that price steep compared to others like Golf Tec?

That's where I do all of my fittings and get all my equipment, if I do buy new. It's really not a bad deal since you pay the fitting fee and that is good for life. So anytime you get new equipment they do they fitting for free. Usually as well they will give you a discount if you go with their recommendations.

All of this May be just what my local one does but ask them and see what they say. I have had nothing but good experiences with them though.

That's where I do all of my fittings and get all my equipment, if I do buy new. It's really not a bad deal since you pay the fitting fee and that is good for life. So anytime you get new equipment they do they fitting for free. Usually as well they will give you a discount if you go with their recommendations.

All of this May be just what my local one does but ask them and see what they say. I have had nothing but good experiences with them though.

I did see that you can be refit anytime for free. Which is a pretty good deal if I make major swing changes...

Back