Driver shaft question

bradley8302

Reaction score
Handicap
Over the past few years I've played 3 different drivers. The first was a Cleveland Laucher 8.5* with the green Aldila shaft(NV? and unsure of weight, but I'm thinking 75g). Switched to the R9 and added an 85g shaft to it. Most recent change came last year when I bought a friend's new(he got it not too long before the 910s came out and just never liked it and put it in his closet) 909 D2 with the Fujikura Max 65g shaft in it. My normal flight pattern is right to left; however, with the Titleist I can't hit a draw to save my life. I have to play a fade with the driver, but all my irons and woods still have my same ol' draw. The lack of change in my irons makes me think it's not related to my swing, but possibly more toward the change in shaft weight. Am I on track with this and should I look back into getting a heavier shaft? As you can see I'm a novice when it comes to aftermarket shafts and the like. I'd always just played with the stock shaft option.

I've also come across a 910 D3 for a deal that is getting harder to pass up the more I think about it. The only issue I have right now is that the shaft in it is the Rip 60, and if the trouble with my 909 leans more toward the lighter shaft; I don't want to get into the same predicament with the 910. Do you think it would be possible for someone like an Edwin Watts or some place like that to remove the Fujikura Max in my 909 and swap for a heavier shaft for basically the cost of the labor to do so(same scenario if I decide to get the 910)? I guess I'm wondering if the fact that both shafts are $100(or more depending on where you look) would give a little more leeway to do something like this.

Over the past few years I've played 3 different drivers. The first was a Cleveland Laucher 8.5* with the green Aldila shaft(NV? and unsure of weight, but I'm thinking 75g). Switched to the R9 and added an 85g shaft to it. Most recent change came last year when I bought a friend's new(he got it not too long before the 910s came out and just never liked it and put it in his closet) 909 D2 with the Fujikura Max 65g shaft in it. My normal flight pattern is right to left; however, with the Titleist I can't hit a draw to save my life. I have to play a fade with the driver, but all my irons and woods still have my same ol' draw. The lack of change in my irons makes me think it's not related to my swing, but possibly more toward the change in shaft weight. Am I on track with this and should I look back into getting a heavier shaft? As you can see I'm a novice when it comes to aftermarket shafts and the like. I'd always just played with the stock shaft option.

I've also come across a 910 D3 for a deal that is getting harder to pass up the more I think about it. The only issue I have right now is that the shaft in it is the Rip 60, and if the trouble with my 909 leans more toward the lighter shaft; I don't want to get into the same predicament with the 910. Do you think it would be possible for someone like an Edwin Watts or some place like that to remove the Fujikura Max in my 909 and swap for a heavier shaft for basically the cost of the labor to do so(same scenario if I decide to get the 910)? I guess I'm wondering if the fact that both shafts are $100(or more depending on where you look) would give a little more leeway to do something like this.

One thing you forgot is that with the 910 D3 you can adjust it, if your still having problems with hitting a draw you can correct that with the Surefit sleeve by closing the face or making the lie angle more upright. Best option would be go to Edwin Watts or GG or GS etc and get a shaft fitting if possible, I would recommend GolfTEC over anybody else though. Any of those places wouldnt have a problem pulling the shaft and putting a new one in the 909 if thats the way you go.

So how much better is the 910? I've obviously got the 909 now, and like it(other than having to play a fade); and I believe it was the 975 I had back in the day so I'm familiar with their clubs.

Had a friend tell me that the 910 is "like Titleist and Taylor Made came together and made the perfect love child" lol. Is that about right?

The 910 D3 is a great club....but not if it isn't the right club for you. It is designed for someone in need of a low spin club head. I'm guessing (and this is just a guess) that you would be see more of a similar performance from the 910 D2. There are a lot of great drivers out there right now, though so look around!

Really though, you would be better off going and getting professionally fitted. The performance change from one shaft to the other plays such a big part of your overall performance it is well worth your time.

So how much better is the 910? I've obviously got the 909 now, and like it(other than having to play a fade); and I believe it was the 975 I had back in the day so I'm familiar with their clubs.

Had a friend tell me that the 910 is "like Titleist and Taylor Made came together and made the perfect love child" lol. Is that about right?
Well IMO the 910 is one of the best drivers ever made, it was the best driver I have every played and im a driver HO lol. Like any other club some wont like it and it wont work for everybody but ya dude its one BA driver. IMO 110% better than the 909, I was not a fan of the 909 at all or of Titleist clubs until the 910 series.

Back