Finding Help at the Big Stores

LuckyLefty

The Leprechaun
Reaction score
Handicap
Anyone else get frustrated when you go to one of the bigger national golf stores only to find that the people working there have little to no knowledge about the equipment they are trying to sell you. The next time one of them asks me if they can help me I will be very tempted to respond back..."I don't know CAN YOU?"

I've only been to one shop in within 2 hours of me in which the guys working knew much about what they were selling. It's a shame, but not uncommon at all here.

Happens to me all the time. I had a guy say that I needed a Project X 7.0 shaft tipped 2 inches. Wow.

Happens to me all the time. I had a guy say that I needed a Project X 7.0 shaft tipped 2 inches. Wow.

I had a similar experience. The so-called "pro" at Dick's told me that every golfer should play S300 shafts and that me asking me about shaft selection for my irons was ridiculous.

I haven't asked or taken advice from that place since.

Oh yeah, and he put my NDMC grip on my 5 wood on backwards. Backwards, really? I mean come on!

Last edited:
I had a similar experience. The so-called "pro" at Dick's told me that every golfer should play S300 shafts and that me asking me about shaft selection for my irons was ridiculous.

I haven't asked or taken advice from that place since.

Oh yeah, and he put my NDMC grip on my 5 wood on backwards. Backwards, really? I mean come on!

wow. That guy is a winner.

The best part is going in, they see you and try to tell you all about this new product that is coming out or just released. umm yeah, I have known about this before release date and I know all the specs. Sir, would you like me to teach you something about this product? haha. Thanks THP!

I can't say that I am surprised, and I think in general, you will find this to be true for all purchases you make. For example: I know that when I go to buy a car that I do a ton of research and often know more about it than the sales person. Same is true for my golf clubs. It sucks, but it is the unfortunate reality. JMO here, but it is what I have seen.

I prefer to do my own research and use the stores to test/sometimes buy...

agreed, nice place to test the clubs you are pondering...thats about it

I have had this happen to me at Dicks but when I went to GG last week the pro was very good and knew a ton.

Tapaway!

Happens to me alot as well, thats why I always look here first get the right info then I will look on the company website get any info I didn;t get fro here, then I go to the store. I have had them tell me I ned this and that, and im looking at the guy like REALLY!!! did you jusy say I needed a ball wipe come on man seriously. I understand they are more sales related but you have to have some sort of knowledge in the area you work. Hence why when I got fitted for my first time I came here immediately to ask everyone how it works just to make sure the guy fitted me correctly.

It is rare that you find someone in one of these places that knows enough to help much. Even if they do know something they are usually only interested in talking to you if you want to buy a full set. I would rather have them just admit that they don't know much and can't help than to pretend that they do know and then proceed to tell you a bunch of nonsense.

Yeah, its retail so you have to set your expectations low. With that said, the Golf Galaxy by me is fantastic. I take my lessons from the pro there (who worked for a couple of the upscale county clubs but is now at GG to get away from the politics/drama) and the sales guys are actually really knowledgeable. They enjoy talking shop with informed customers so it is quite different than your typical retail experience.
I have yet to find anyone knowledgeable at the Dicks around here...

Dick's is the only big box store I've been in, they don't have a clue. I've been in Dunham's once, they're worse than Wal-mart!

Whenever I was in high school, I could not get any help at GG to save my life. I guess they figured that I didn't have any money, but I was big baller bringin' in the $7/hour! I got nothing and liked it.

I think it is always best to do your own research up front. I also think it is always best to do fittings with someone like GolfTec or a custom fitter over doing fittings at a box store where their number one priority is selling you something.

Anyone else get frustrated when you go to one of the bigger national golf stores only to find that the people working there have little to no knowledge about the equipment they are trying to sell you. The next time one of them asks me if they can help me I will be very tempted to respond back..."I don't know CAN YOU?"

GolfGalaxy used to give us product information to study so we knew what we were selling. I bet I know more about equipment now though

I know most of the people now in my local GG and they know what I do. Half the time they ask me what I'm hitting, how I like it, etc because they know I have it before they do. They actually all know their stuff and none of them talks out their arse, at least not when we are all talking. Aside from that my local Dick's is a total waste of time and their staff seems to know next to nothing unless its Taylormade or Callaway clubs or Titless balls.

I actually had a great experience at the Golfsmith in Sarasota, FL last night. Went in with my mind pretty much set on the TM RBZ 3-wood, just wanted to hit it a few times to make sure. Great guy named Andy took a look at my swing and asked me some questions. I told him I have a hard time getting most of my clubs in the air. He gave me a Calloway RAZR Hawk 3-wood to hit and it blew me away. The club was exactly what I was looking for from the launch angle to the flight to being easy to hit. I'm in sales so even though I knew I could by the club cheaper online I took it on the spot because of the time he spent and the excellent advice. I know it's rare these days but I was blown away by the service and will be back to see Andy when I'm looking for my next club, or anything else golf related.

wiseinsrq

I think only when he works in PA

Yes they are great guys! They ask about stuff more than tell you stuff. Those fellows love learning.

Is that where Kmac shops too?

The guys at our local Dick's would rather drink coffee and watch golf on the TV's they have mounted all over the section. I practically had to beg them to get me pair of shoes to try on that were not on the display shelf.
They also do not keep any balls in the putting area. Have to beg for those as well.
And don't even think about asking them to demo a club in the hitting bays. Their first response is, "Are you going to be buying something today?" With an emphasis on the word "buying". Well not from you Chumley with that attitude.....

The Dick's near where I live(Clarksville, TN) is horrible!!! I try to ask questions and never get one answered without them going on the internet to find the answer. I usually know what I am asking as I do a lot of my own research, but I like for them to see if they know some of the same things that I do. I never buy anything there because the one time I did want to buy clubs, they were so incompetent.

Back