gatoreric

Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 7.6
Just wondering if any of you Florida golfers have ever played in the one day events offered by the FSGA? Been thinking about playing in one and would like feedback from anyone who has any. Thanks.

I have. Dont do it anymore since there are so many THP events.

Just prefer playing with THPers.

I have wanted to since I got down here but most of them are mid week and not many weekend events :(

I have and the guys that play can be a little intense so say the least. Just not fun or worth the funds

They're ok. Playing with THPers is definitely more fun. The main draw of the one day events for me is that you can get onto some exclusive or very expensive courses for cheap. I'll play a fee this year just to play the course but as has been said some of the guys out there treat them like us opens.

I also don't like that they have all guys under 50 at the same yardage (6,500) regardless of handicap or length. That's a little long for me. I've played with scratch guys at the same length. Doesn't make sense and doesn't fit their own professed "tee it forward" campaign for the skill levels (I believe their chart says someone playing at 6,500 hard should consistent drive the ball 280? - well, 260 is good for me as a 14.6 and I haven't met a ton of mid handicappers who regularly get 280 and keep it in play).

I just go enjoy the course and ignore everything else. I have met a couple of nice guys, though, so they aren't all bad, it just won't have the feel of THP where it's ok if you have a bad round as long as you have a good time doing it.

Nah haven't play in it, same for me I'm high ghin and probably those tees r still a litle long 4 me

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

I played in a two day event down at World Woods year before last in November. It was pretty well organized and while I didn't play well at all, I found it to be enjoyable. The men's open flight (under 50) was pretty sparse, I think there were only three of us, probably due to them being during the week so most of the guys and gals who do it are older/retirees. Mostly good players though. And many times it is a great deal on some nice courses. Most are in the $50 range, but the one at Sawgrass required lodging so it was like $250, still a good deal, and the Black Diamond one was like $100. I was thinking about doing one or two this year but haven't committed yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wish the fsga would host some pro am events. I have always want to play with a pro but $2500+ entry fee for a PGA tour pro am is to much for me. I bet an event featuring local pro would be a lot cheaper and still a fun experience

I can't speak for Florida, but for this year I joined the NYSGA with intentions of playing in a handful of these events. For me, it's just exposure to a little more competitive golf. I'm sure I won't like it as much as THP golf or rounds with my buddies.

Back