romeolo888

Reaction score
Handicap
N/A
Hi all

I am going to get myself a set of Titleist Clubs. Even though i am a beginner and can't master the driver yet, I got my heart set on Titleist clubs. I tried the irons and loved them. But i need help with the selection.

My question is, shall i get a set of 4-pw with 1 hybrid? or a set of 5-pw with 2 hybrids.

Along with this, i plan ti get the
driver,
910F which i believe is the 3 wood in comparison.
1 or 2 hybrids
gap wedge
lob wedge
sand wedge
Scotty cameron putter

what would loft should i buy the wedges? will the titleist fitter recommend me or this is up to me?

anyhelp would be great. thanks for reading.

Titleist makes some fantastic gear but I'm interested in your thought process in going with a full Titleist bag. To answer your question only you can decide if you hit hybrids better than irons. Usually a hybrid is a little easier to hit and looking at your handicap I would go 2H/5-PW:titleist:

Titleist makes some fantastic gear but I'm interested in your thought process in going with a full Titleist bag. To answer your question only you can decide if you hit hybrids better than irons. Usually a hybrid is a little easier to hit and looking at your handicap I would go 2H/5-PW:titleist:

agreed

I agree as well. For a newer player hitting a couple hybrids is going to be much better than long irons. When it comes to your woods I wouldn't just plan on getting Titleist, hit a lot off different woods and pick the one that gives you the best numbers.

---
- Tapatalk... Loved by me hated by the wife.

I realize I am Titleist-heavy in my bag, but it is from the process of being fit for the clubs that I have. You should do the same. Don't get hung up on buying one certain brand, and if you do...don't get hung up on "off the shelf" items.

This....

I realize I am Titleist-heavy in my bag, but it is from the process of being fit for the clubs that I have. You should do the same. Don't get hung up on buying one certain brand, and if you do...don't get hung up on "off the shelf" items.

This too...

I agree as well. For a newer player hitting a couple hybrids is going to be much better than long irons. When it comes to your woods I wouldn't just plan on getting Titleist, hit a lot off different woods and pick the one that gives you the best numbers.

---
- Tapatalk... Loved by me hated by the wife.

This as well...

Nothing but solid advice above. Keep your mind open to all of the options out there. A lot of manufacturers are putting out really great gear right now. At least try some other equipment out before taking the plunge on an all Titleist bag. You may be surprised at what you find! And you may be able to shave a few $$ off of your cost. Also, make sure that you hit outside if you're getting fitted. Sensors and numbers are great, but nothing equates to seeing the results first hand IMO. Just my 2¢

Whether or not you bag a hybrid depends on what works best for you. A lot of people play hybrids, but a lot of others prefer long irons. Down to personal preference there.

As to the lofts on your wedges, I would try to keep consistent distance gaps regardless of loft, so that you don't have a huge hole in your set somewhere. A good fitter should be able to help you with this.

Good luck in your search!

I reckon you should hit has many types of clubs that you can and don't get hung up on brand. Otherwisw may end up just end up chasing your tail as there will always be somehting better. Find clubs that look great to your eye and suit your swing. Make your the length and lie suit. Great process to go through, enjoy!

Ex-Titleist snob here. What everyone else said is 100% true and if I were you I would rethink your approach. Wanting a full bag of Titleist clubs is great as long as they fit your swing. I get that the image of those beauties in your bag with continuity top to bottom is super appealing. Try to see past that if you can.

Ok, lovely great replies, first i like to say thanks :) and I love the Titleist smiley.

A few factors on my decision for Titleist.

THe first is I live in China, I have been down the range and looked at peoples bags, I see Taylor mades, Mizuno, Ping ( not so much), Callaway etc etc. But I haven't seen one Titleist user. I asked my coach why no one uses titleist. His view was that the chinese does not dare to use Titleist because players that use this brand tend to be the better skilled players. His exact words were "None of them are good enough to use them" Now I am not saying I am very good, I just feel that I have the potential to make good use of them. I got the money to spend so why not :)

Secondly, my coach told me that after 10 hours lessons, he sees great progress, better than most of his students. He thinks I have played before, but I haven't. THe reason being is probably I am quite atheletic and have been told it is generelly easy for sporty/ atheletic people to pick up the rythem and coodination. I told hiim I was going to get Titleist, he didn't dissagree, but he also suggested Taylormade.

I have tried Taylor made drivers, and hit the ball pretty good, but only in front of my coach, when I hit on my own, i am terrible. I blame the stiff shaft at the range I use for the inconsistancy. Taylormade irons are pretty nice to. I was hitting with both stiff and regular shafts. I hit both pretty good. However, with the stiff shaft, even though i was hitting the ball at an acceptable distance, i was still topping it.

Now the Friday that just went past my driving range had a Titleist demo day. so i tried the irons and drivers. the irons i was hitting sweet both CB and AP2 was hitting nice and sweet. thats what made me decide on the Titleist brand. However, the driver i was pretty bad at using. I think maybe this is just inconsistantcy and maybe that I am a beginner that needs to work on this area. Any tips?

Maybe I should try getting taylor made driver/woods, Titleist irons and wedges. THank you for your input, I love this forum. :)

Ok, lovely great replies, first i like to say thanks :) and I love the Titleist smiley.

A few factors on my decision for Titleist.

THe first is I live in China, I have been down the range and looked at peoples bags, I see Taylor mades, Mizuno, Ping ( not so much), Callaway etc etc. But I haven't seen one Titleist user. I asked my coach why no one uses titleist. His view was that the chinese does not dare to use Titleist because players that use this brand tend to be the better skilled players. His exact words were "None of them are good enough to use them" Now I am not saying I am very good, I just feel that I have the potential to make good use of them. I got the money to spend so why not :)

Secondly, my coach told me that after 10 hours lessons, he sees great progress, better than most of his students. He thinks I have played before, but I haven't. THe reason being is probably I am quite atheletic and have been told it is generelly easy for sporty/ atheletic people to pick up the rythem and coodination. I told hiim I was going to get Titleist, he didn't dissagree, but he also suggested Taylormade.

I have tried Taylor made drivers, and hit the ball pretty good, but only in front of my coach, when I hit on my own, i am terrible. I blame the stiff shaft at the range I use for the inconsistancy. Taylormade irons are pretty nice to. I was hitting with both stiff and regular shafts. I hit both pretty good. However, with the stiff shaft, even though i was hitting the ball at an acceptable distance, i was still topping it.

Now the Friday that just went past my driving range had a Titleist demo day. so i tried the irons and drivers. the irons i was hitting sweet both CB and AP2 was hitting nice and sweet. thats what made me decide on the Titleist brand. However, the driver i was pretty bad at using. I think maybe this is just inconsistantcy and maybe that I am a beginner that needs to work on this area. Any tips?

Maybe I should try getting taylor made driver/woods, Titleist irons and wedges. THank you for your input, I love this forum. :)

Do yourself a favor and try EVERYTHING. You will thank yourself later. Unless you are getting paid to play do what is best and pick stuff that works.

The important thing is to be fit for your new clubs. Getting everything right up front is key to playing well. Stick with your coach and lessons as well. If you are dead set on owning all Titleist clubs, I would guess you would struggle a bit with them. While many of their clubs are somewhat forgiving, others are pretty hard to play well with as a beginner. I would also suggest you be more open minded when it comes to brand. Other OEM's offer several lines of clubs for all skill levels. I would demo everything you can.

Keep us posted on your progress.

May I ask what clubs you are currently using? Maybe we can help you along if we take things 1 at a time and figure out what it is you like and dislike about your current set. You seem emotionally driven to get all Titleist, not sure if that is the way to go.

May I ask what clubs you are currently using? Maybe we can help you along if we take things 1 at a time and figure out what it is you like and dislike about your current set. You seem emotionally driven to get all Titleist, not sure if that is the way to go.

Well, I got the callaways woods Big bertha from 7-8 years ago. and I got the syard irons and wedges with a 34"oddesey putter.

The Driver i can't seem to manage to hit well as the 2011 drivers that are made. Trying to practice with this old club whilst waiting for my new clubs seems to be affecting my confidence. I was hitting sweet and long in front of my coach with the Taaylor made Regular shaft Driver.

Syard irons are pretty old. Since using the titleist and taylor made irons, it seems that I am inconsistantly connecting with the ball. My coach said, its more to do with the clubs than my style.

These clubs were hand downs from my father in law. He just wanted me to start playing golf as it is very important in China. Now I have lessons under my belt, i think it is right to get some uptodate clubs. As more people suggested not to stick to one brand, i am thinking of going with titleist wedges and maybe taylor made irons.

i am in contact with the fitters in Hong Kong to see if i can try clubs out etc in the short time I am there.

and i will defeintly keep you guys posted. in the mean time I have to keep practising with my old clubs.

Seems like you just want to hit the ball better. If that is the case pick what suits your current game not what your game might be 5 years from now. It really doesn't matter what brand you get as long as the clubs fit your swing. Your last post makes sense, see those fitters.

Please just test as many as you can, you will be happy you did.

So far you have received a lot of sensible replies. The problem is, being attracted to a particular brand over all others is not sensible. So, I am going to tell you to go with your heart. If you want Titleist clubs, get Titleist clubs. As a beginner, no clubs are going to be "easy" to hit but if you keep taking lessons you should improve. After you become more consistent with your game and become more familiar with other brands, you may change. But if you have the money, why not? I would, however, stay away from the Titleist clubs that are geared toward better players. Go with 2 or 3 hybrids and the AP 1s for your irons. You don't want to make the game too hard.

You also might want to hold off on Titleists if you are a beginner. Titleist doesnt make clubs that are forgiving enough for a new player. Buy a cheap set for $300, get some lessons and when you are around a 20 handicap then and only then get a set of Titleists if thats what you want.
When I first got into golf in the late '90s I bought a brand new set of Titleist DCI 981 irons and I loved how they looked but at that time I was about a 30 handicap and I just didnt have the swing to hit those clubs well. Id hate to see you blow $900 on new set of irons only to realize that you cant play well with them.

So far you have received a lot of sensible replies. The problem is, being attracted to a particular brand over all others is not sensible. So, I am going to tell you to go with your heart. If you want Titleist clubs, get Titleist clubs

As long as you are fit into your Titleist clubs I'm going to agree with this.

I will also make a brief mention that there are some very impressive Asian golf companies that should not be discounted when looking around. Yonex, Epon, Honma, Maruman, Williams, Kenmochi, Onoff, Miura and Royal Collection are all top notch companies that make excellent product.

Love them!

I love the idea of a mixed bag, if you are not being paid to use them, you may as well pick the best for regardless of the brand. New G20 driver looks good, ping drivers have always been easy to hit.
I would have thought a stiffer shaft would offer more control and a bit less distance? Most of the issues are between the ears.

I finally got to hit the 910 today and yesterday at GG and man I have to pick up that driver but only if I can get the right shaft. I love the feeling it gives(the bounce off the face) it's much different than my supertri as of right now.

Titleist is a great brand and makes clubs for players of all levels. I did not purchase everything all at one time. After many sessions at the driving range with several company reps, I took several different brands to the course to see if they would hold up under the pressure of actually playing a round. I ended up with the AP1 irons, then later added 2 hybrids. After everything seemed to be working, I picked up my driver which for me is the hardest to hit. I suggest you try a few different brands and sets to see what fits you and you will find the correct. Also, a good coach or PGA pro can be great advisor. Good luck in your quest.

I would agree when they say to try other brands, but if you're getting fit then it shouldn't make a huge difference. As many hybrids as possible I'd say. I'm about a 10 handicap and I still struggle to consistantly hit any iron above a 6. Hybrids are much easier to hit.

---
- I wish golf was as easy as Tapatalk.

Back