the boss

golf addict help me!!
Reaction score
Handicap
When Is it time to change from game improving irons? I feel happy with my swing I hit the ball well. My question is do I stick or twist with my irons?

When Is it time to change from game improving irons? I feel happy with my swing I hit the ball well. My question is do I stick or twist with my irons?

A club fitter could tell you quicker than anyone on a golf forum would be able to. But, if you feel you are ready to step up, do a little research and see what the most forgiving set of "players" irons are, make an investment, but keep your old set handy. Worse case scenario, you have to go back to your old set and you can sell the new ones. Or, best case, you love your players irons and can sell your old ones. Good luck.

I imagine the best reason would be that you want to incorporate working the ball into your play.

Why change? Is there something you are looking for that you cannot do with your irons?

I've hot a few blades and loved the feel and I know feel like my burners are chunky in feel. It may be I have had my head turned.

Like jeffreedmo said... the best thing to do is find a good local fitter and hit a bunch of them and see if they work for you.

some people prefer blades over cavity backs...some prefer bigger heads over musclebacks. if you could shoot quality scores using hickory sticks, by all means. best thing you can do? hit as many, different types of irons as possible till you find something you're CONFIDENT in...scores will follow. i've hit my blades for quite awhile now, and when i stand over a cavity/game improvement iron i can't stand it (even irons i've owned/gamed before).

I'm going to agree with a few post on here. I think you need to get fitted to see if a blade or tour iron is right for you. The only real reason I for going to a blade or tour is to work the ball. Don't get me wrong you can work the ball with any club out there but these make it a little easier. As long as you feel your swing is constant enough to hit them and you're fitted for them go for it!

The only way to know is to go and demo a set of player's irons and see how well you hit them. Having the ability to work the ball more easily isnt the only reason why a person might want to go away from a GI iron. Some of us simply dont want to play a big, ugly, chunky iron.

The only way to know is to go and demo a set of player's irons and see how well you hit them. Having the ability to work the ball more easily isnt the only reason why a person might want to go away from a GI iron. Some of us simply dont want to play a big, ugly, chunky iron.

I was going to say, a "players" iron is not going to mask a bad shot, quite like a game improvement iron will. With a players iron, you are going to know pretty quick whether you hit a good or bad shot. Not that you don't with game improvement irons, but the players irons will give you feedback you might not be getting with the GI set. That is just on equation, in addition to workability, why people want to move up to a players iron. Myself included.

Back