Golfing Pet Peeves

Oh man I just had to tell everyone about this jackwagon that was on the course today and this was the only thread I could think of to post it in. I'm having the best round of my year, need to shoot even par to set a personal best 77. Weather is perfect, and the course is not busy so I am moving right along. I am finishing my tap-in on 15 and I see an older gentleman walking off green #4, he looks at me, then proceeds to cut over to the nearby 16th tee, right where I am about to walk over to. I see guys do this sometimes when the course is slow and they are in a hurry and they just want to get a few holes in, but I have never seen anyone jump in front of anyone, they only do it when it is clear no one is coming. Anyhow, I am thinking he is just going to tell me to go ahead and he'll tee off after me, but nooooooo. He tees off as I'm walking over. I decide I'm gonna let it go, thinking maybe he is good, and he will hurry through the last few holes...as I wait I proceed to text my brother who works in the clubhouse to tell him what just happened. Thinking the guy would be done with the hole I look up, and he is hacking it all over, walking back and forth across the green of this par three, and I discover he is playing 2 balls! So not only did he stink, which I have nothing against, but the fact that he jumped in front of me, and hacked TWO BALLS AROUND?!?! I was ticked. So as he starts walking off the green I hammer my tee shot right to the middle of the green, giving him the hint that I can play and he should let me play through because I will play faster...I get to the 17th tee as he is walking off, and he still walks back and forth and back and forth across the fairway because he was hacking these 2 balls all over the place. Soon after that a ranger was coming by and my brother must have told him what happened. The ranger drove up to the guy, told him that if he is going to skip holes then he needs to let people play through if they catch him. The guy finished one ball on the hole and went to the next tee. I finished my hole with a par thenwent to the 18th tee where I just needed a par to set my personal best score ever. He had teed 2 balls off already, and as I walk up he says "go right on ahead." I thanked him and walked up to the tee. As I was a few steps from the tee marker, this is where the guy really set me off. In a sarcastic voice he says, "take your time, I'm in no hurry. Just out enjoying 9 holes of golf on a nice day, taking my time because it is the last hole." So I knew he was mad that the guy told him to let me play through. I just said "yeah the weather is perfect, I'm in no rush either." Then the guy replies, "well I just don't want you to rush too much and shank your tee shot, I'm just taking my time." So at that point I am MAD! I'm having a hard time concentrating because I knew he was trying to get in my head now...and what did I do...I caught my drive thin and on the heel and it went about 150 yards and in the rough on the left side of the fairway. I just walked off, and he still made another comment about not hurrying and I just didn't reply. I caught my second shot thin too when I was trying to lay up on this par 5. Long story short, I ended up bogeying the last hole, finished with a 78, which is still really good, but 18 is normally an easy par. When I got into the clubhouse even the assistant pro and the guy working the counter were angry about how the guy reacted and they were going to go say something to him but I asked them not to. I just can't believe that someone would be so disrespectful on the course to someone else after THEY were the one who skipped holes and cut me off, and then played extremely slow with 2 balls! He could have at least been courteous, and I probably would have let it go if he was just playing one ball, but I was on a roll and I was waiting over 5 minutes for every shot on a slow day where I had no one in front of me all day. GRRRRRR!!!!!

Bummer way to finish your round. At least you didn't hit into him, hehehe.

Bummer way to finish your round. At least you didn't hit into him, hehehe.

True, but I would have really loved to give him a piece of my.... mind, after those comments. Urrg.

I hate club championships. There is no reason I should not be allowed to either play in the club championship because I am 17 or play during it, especially if I would be starting when most of the players are finishing.

True, but I would have really loved to give him a piece of my.... mind, after those comments. Urrg.

I hate club championships. There is no reason I should not be allowed to either play in the club championship because I am 17 or play during it, especially if I would be starting when most of the players are finishing.

That is not a fun situation. Last year my dad and I followed a tournament at a local course and took 6.5 hours to finish

I am with you Tee box's drives me nut's some times

Golf Course Pet Peeves:

Courses that act entitled and feel you should feel privledged they are letting you play their course.
Courses that force you to take a cart (even if you willing to pay the fee, but want to walk)
Courses that force you to take a cart with "Cart Path Only Rules"
Courses with Rangers that don't help or move groups along. (why be out there)
Courses that group their tee-times to closely together, they should never be less than 10 minutes for a foursome.
Courses that don't warn you (when you make your tee time) that they just aerated their greens, and then (in some cases) still charge full price.

Players that think they are entitled.
They turn to their partners and say " I payed $50.00 for this round, I'm going to take as long as I want and play from the tees I want.

They don't repair their damage:
Fix Divots (using mix on the tees) or replace their divot in the fairways.
Fix Ball Marks on Greens
Rake the Bunkers
Pick up a stray can or rapper they come across.
They play from tees they have no business playing from
They sit in their cart and and watch their playing partners play their shot then walk across the fairway to play their shot. READY GOLF PEOPLE.
They speak at a volume appropriate for a baseball game and think there is nobody else on the course

Bottom, line; the game of golf is much bigger than any single course or any single player. Show some respect for the game, the course and the people around you and everyone will enjoy the game that much more.

Also, a ridiculous amount of environmental areas will drive me nuts.

LOL, this is a classic that I have never understood myself. A developer comes in, clears out 10's or even 100's of acres of land to build a course then has these little pockets of environmentally sensitive areas. How much fertilizer and how many plastic and urethane golf balls are in these environmentally sensitive areas, LOL

Golf Course Pet Peeves:

Courses that act entitled and feel you should feel privledged they are letting you play their course.
Courses that force you to take a cart (even if you willing to pay the fee, but want to walk)
Courses that group their tee-times to closely together, they should never be less than 10 minutes for a foursome.
Courses that don't warn you (when you make your tee time) that they just aerated their greens, and then (in some cases) still charge full price.

They turn to their partners and say " I payed $50.00 for this round, I'm going to take as long as I want and play from the tees I want.

Fix Ball Marks on Greens
Rake the Bunkers
They sit in their cart and and watch their playing partners play their shot then walk across the fairway to play their shot. READY GOLF PEOPLE.
They speak at a volume appropriate for a baseball game and think there is nobody else on the course

Bottom, line; the game of golf is much bigger than any single course or any single player. Show some respect for the game, the course and the people around you and everyone will enjoy the game that much more.

way to speak the truth!

1. Tree's and obstacles blocking shots out of bunkers, the bunker is the penalty.
2. Uneven and DEEP rough, I'm not trying out for the US Open anytime soon.
3. Poorly cut fringes and greens, Nothing makes me more upset than to have patches of grass in my line of putt just off the green or crabgrass that isn't manicured.
4. Uneven tee boxes with no grass.
5. Unrepaired ball marks, unfilled divots and most importantly unkept bunkers. There is no excuse for laziness. THIS IS MY NUMBER ONE PET PEEVE because it is left up to the golfers and not the maintenance crew.

Most of my course pet-peeves have been mentioned here, such as having to play the ball down when the course has area's that clearly should be marked ground under repair and people not fixing their divots, or damaging the holes with the flag when they take it out or replace it, but the worst to me is when I pay a bunch to play at an ok course where the staff has little to no people skills.

I mentioned this once before, but playing a rather nice course close to home last year a buddy and I tee'd off on a hole that crowned over a hill, our balls were both in the fairway at the top of that hill. When we get up there we find one of the big mowers sitting in the fairway right in front of my buddies ball running and the guy sitting there just looking at us. I kind of shrugged at him like asking whats up and he motion's for us to move the ball so he can stay on his track, lol. When I told the guy no way, he get's all pissed and starts shaking his head like an idiot, but pulls around us rather than backing away and finishing the job. He just goes around, starts mowing again and to my knowledge just left that spot, haha. I may be wrong, but I thought we were the customers?

Most of my course pet-peeves have been mentioned here, such as having to play the ball down when the course has area's that clearly should be marked ground under repair and people not fixing their divots, or damaging the holes with the flag when they take it out or replace it, but the worst to me is when I pay a bunch to play at an ok course where the staff has little to no people skills.

I mentioned this once before, but playing a rather nice course close to home last year a buddy and I tee'd off on a hole that crowned over a hill, our balls were both in the fairway at the top of that hill. When we get up there we find one of the big mowers sitting in the fairway right in front of my buddies ball running and the guy sitting there just looking at us. I kind of shrugged at him like asking whats up and he motion's for us to move the ball so he can stay on his track, lol. When I told the guy no way, he get's all pissed and starts shaking his head like an idiot, but pulls around us rather than backing away and finishing the job. He just goes around, starts mowing again and to my knowledge just left that spot, haha. I may be wrong, but I thought we were the customers?

Hahaha. One of the mowers at our local course would sometimes just mow over the ball. To his credit, he was pretty elderly, and his vision wasn't that great.

Golf Course Pet Peeves:

Fix Ball Marks on Greens
Rake the Bunkers

How about a course that had temporary greens on all 18 holes and still charged full price? Did I mention that we also had to wait 20 minutes for the pro shop to open because the person that was supposed to, didn't show up and didn't call to let anyone know? Gotta love it!!

Ridiculous pin positions (I'm not on the PGA Tour bro) and bunkers that are poorly maintained. I understand it's a hazard and supposed to be a penalty, but I don't want to be hitting out of fine dirt or sand with small stones in it.

Couple things for me...

We pay Green Fees to have decent greens... poorly maintained greens are an annoyance.

Tee boxes... nothing worse than tee boxes that have long grass and look like they could've been a part of the Apollo Missions to the Moon.

I don't mind sand conditions in bunkers. It varies some courses simply have better grade sand than others. That stuff is expensive per load.

Alex

Ridiculous pin positions (I'm not on the PGA Tour bro) and bunkers that are poorly maintained. I understand it's a hazard and supposed to be a penalty, but I don't want to be hitting out of fine dirt or sand with small stones in it.

+1 on crazy arse pin placements

I tapatalk better then I tapaputt

Course etiquette by far but that goes without saying. Hate it when people don't repair their ball marks, divots and rake bunkers. Other than that probally the most annoying thing is not having distance markers on the tee boxes. Another one that really gets me espically in the summer is not having enough water coolers on the course. Nothing like spending a few dollars for a small bottle of water.

My peeve lately is lazy marshalls. I know it isn't a paid position but if a guy is too chicken to push groups he shouldn't take the job. It seems guys with too much free time use it as an excuse to just bs with other golfers. I've singled on with groups that need a swift kick but wheres the marshal? Meanwhile the groups behind are hitting into us and my prodding only goes so far so now I gotta figure out how to break away from a bad group. This has cut down my rounds this year and I'm pretty sure the course does like my fees. But I go to play golf, not watch guys waste 5 hours.

course with out hole lay outs on the cards or at least hole layouts on the tee boxes.

wet and puddled tee boxes

greens that a ate up with dead patches close to the hole.

400 + yard par 4s if you don't get a good drive, your playing for par at best

MattyCaulk Approved!

Flat, straight and cornrows. Designes that do not require shot shaping, elevation change and unmanicured surfaces. The tighter the better!

DSX

Golf Pet Peeves

Golf Pet Peeves

today, during my round (which was my all-time low of 71 with 24 putts), i played 15 holes in 1 hour, 45 mins. it took me a total of 2:30 hours to complete the round. i cannot stand it when people who aren't that great of golfers act like they are and don't let you pass through when you're a single. what kind of pet peeves do you guys have on the course?

How about when people think they're "that good" and play from the tips when in reality they should be playing from significantly closer tees.

How about when people think they're "that good" and play from the tips when in reality they should be playing from significantly closer tees.

oh i hate this one as well. i've seen too many people 300+ out on a par five waiting for the next group to clear the green, when all they do is top it 50-100 yrds, meanwhile, holding me/my group up.

Back