Nike VR Pro Combo Irons - Forum Testing Review

Some nice face wearing going on CL.

Some nice face wearing going on CL.

It's all over the place lol! I do notice that it is more prevalent toward the hosel though. Can this mean too upright/flat?

Nice pix, but the black on the face worry me

I tapatalk better then I tapaputt

It's no worse than any other iron I've ever had including my Pings.:nike:

Shafts are phenomenal. I was very worried about dropping down to a regular flex and at the same time going graphite. Wish I had done it much earlier. I don't get the hurtful vibration back into my wrists and hands but I get plenty of feedback in terms of how/where I hit the clubface. It hits the ball nice and high which is my preferred ball flight but there are no issues when I need to flight the ball. I would not hesitate to recommend a quality graphite iron shaft to any caliber golfer. Graphite is not just for OG these days.

Shafts are phenomenal. I was very worried about dropping down to a regular flex and at the same time going graphite. Wish I had done it much earlier. I don't get the hurtful vibration back into my wrists and hands but I get plenty of feedback in terms of how/where I hit the clubface. It hits the ball nice and high which is my preferred ball flight but there are no issues when I need to flight the ball. I would not hesitate to recommend a quality graphite iron shaft to any caliber golfer. Graphite is not just for OG these days.

Lol, I been wanting to try graphite, hopefully they have irons at demo day so I can try, and go from there,

Skim alert. Are those px shafts?

Lol, I been wanting to try graphite, hopefully they have irons at demo day so I can try, and go from there,

Skim alert. Are those px shafts?

Yes they are:vibrant:

Anytime Matty. Ask away:question:

One of the things I'll be focusing on over the next week or so (aside from a terrible long weekend in which I will be forced to sit at a beach rather than on a golf course) will be the variables between my 50* xFT and my VR Pro blade PW. I find that the 3 degrees in loft don't favour the Nike all that much, and that the xFT closes that gap rather quickly. Now, maybe a 1 degree loft adjustment on the PW maybe be better in that the 9/PW share more of the same characteristics so the dispersion should be logical between the two.

At this point it's undecided, but I'm excited to get it going.. What is also interesting is that my PW has a 9 degree bounce and my 50* has only a 6 degree bounce on it. Should be a LOT of fun trying to sort out the logical distances between the bottom end of my bag!

I'll also continue working with the 4 iron as I feel like it may be one of the best hitting clubs in the bag when well struck. I just need to find the right swing for it.

I want to also note about the grips, which have been discussed at length at the beginning of this process yet not much at all lately. They have held up very well after probably 20-30 rounds and plenty of range time. Wet weather is hardly an issue for them, and warm weather is really only an issue if I am on the range hitting the same club over and over again. I had considered moving to the GP VDRs after a while with this set, but I've pretty much squashed that idea. It would be a waste of money as these grips perform just fine under pressure.

Everyone one is giving such great feedback on these clubs. I am in the market for new irons and found this thread. This thread got me to join. I am glued to the computer now because of yall. Thanks..

Everyone one is giving such great feedback on these clubs. I am in the market for new irons and found this thread. This thread got me to join. I am glued to the computer now because of yall. Thanks..

Welcome to the forum! Where are you located specifically? I am in the DFW area if you are around here and would like to give these a go on the range. PM me if interested.

I want to also note about the grips, which have been discussed at length at the beginning of this process yet not much at all lately. They have held up very well after probably 20-30 rounds and plenty of range time. Wet weather is hardly an issue for them, and warm weather is really only an issue if I am on the range hitting the same club over and over again. I had considered moving to the GP VDRs after a while with this set, but I've pretty much squashed that idea. It would be a waste of money as these grips perform just fine under pressure.

Great point there Canadan. I initially had mixed/negative feelings about the grips but my opinion now has changed a bit to agree completely with this. No issues at all while on the course but the occasional issue if on the range and hitting the same club for some time.

That's awesome Kailec. Welcome to :thp:.. You'll love it here! Don't hesitate to ask us testers anything about the clubs. We're here to answer anything and everything through our own experiences.

Good stuff Canadan. This week I've decided to concentrate on the long irons. Specifically the 3/4 Pocket Cavities. Nike claims the Pocket Cavity design offers higher trajectory on longer shots. My range sessions will be dedicated to hitting these irons and finding out just how high they hit as compared to what I am used to. Going to the range tonight:nike:

Played 36 yesterday and had a great ball striking day. I changed my grip a hair and I only pulled one shot all day. Seems as though I had too strong of a grip.

Pocket Cavity - 3, 4 - I actually removed the 3 iron for the day and replaced it with a 4H (23*). That being said, I still used the 4i twice and hit it straight both times and hit it about 200 yards, with about 190ish carry. If I can repeat those shots, this club will stay in my bag. Due to some struggles with the 3&4 irons I am just not very comfortable standing over the ball with either club in my hands. I am going to keep working with these clubs and hope to turn it around with them. I simply found the hybrid more consistent, easier to hit, and longer.

Split Cavity - 5, 6, 7 - these clubs did great yesterday. The 5 and 6 were solid and allowed me to hit the green, or come close from 170-185 yards. Due to the grip change, I wasn't sure of my shot shape, so I wasn't greatly accurate (hitting at pins) but I pretty much hit it where I was aiming or witting a few yards. The 7 iron was great and may have been the club of the day for me. I "worked" a couple of shots (around trees) and was hitting it where I wanted to most of the day. I feel like a lot of my approach shots were with the 7 iron so maybe the amount of use is what helped it shine. I did have a shank with the 7i due to literally not looking at the ball, very embarrassing. Luckily there was only one and I managed to save bogey on the hole.

Blade - 8, 9, PW - these clubs did great once again. As I said above, I wasn't "throwing darts" yesterday but was hitting the ball very solid and pretty straight. When hit solid, these are the best feeling clubs I have ever hit. Not just the blades, 5-PW feel amazing. Shot of the day was with the 9i, hit it to about 5 feet for a KP and made the birdie putt.

IMO one of the best parts of these clubs is the consistent distance. If I know the yardage, I know the club I need. I never second guess a club selection, and if hit solid, I am never let down. I'm not sure if this makes sense, but my old clubs seemed to have "hot spots" that could cause the club to travel a little further than usual. This could be due to them having a slight cavity back, but I'm not sure. These clubs don't seem to have those if you ask me. Also, turf interaction was great yesterday, I was in the rough quite a few times and these clubs did very well, the club head did not get caught up or turn in the long grass.

I will be taking some pics and videos on Thursday, please let me know if you have any suggestions. I would enjoy that. As always, feel free to ask any questions.

Played 36 yesterday and had a great ball striking day. I changed my grip a hair and I only pulled one shot all day. Seems as though I had too strong of a grip.

Pocket Cavity - 3, 4 - I actually removed the 3 iron for the day and replaced it with a 4H (23*). That being said, I still used the 4i twice and hit it straight both times and hit it about 200 yards, with about 190ish carry. If I can repeat those shots, this club will stay in my bag. Due to some struggles with the 3&4 irons I am just not very comfortable standing over the ball with either club in my hands. I am going to keep working with these clubs and hope to turn it around with them. I simply found the hybrid more consistent, easier to hit, and longer.

Split Cavity - 5, 6, 7 - these clubs did great yesterday. The 5 and 6 were solid and allowed me to hit the green, or come close from 170-185 yards. Due to the grip change, I wasn't sure of my shot shape, so I wasn't greatly accurate (hitting at pins) but I pretty much hit it where I was aiming or witting a few yards. The 7 iron was great and may have been the club of the day for me. I "worked" a couple of shots (around trees) and was hitting it where I wanted to most of the day. I feel like a lot of my approach shots were with the 7 iron so maybe the amount of use is what helped it shine. I did have a shank with the 7i due to literally not looking at the ball, very embarrassing. Luckily there was only one and I managed to save bogey on the hole.

Blade - 8, 9, PW - these clubs did great once again. As I said above, I wasn't "throwing darts" yesterday but was hitting the ball very solid and pretty straight. When hit solid, these are the best feeling clubs I have ever hit. Not just the blades, 5-PW feel amazing. Shot of the day was with the 9i, hit it to about 5 feet for a KP and made the birdie putt.

IMO one of the best parts of these clubs is the consistent distance. If I know the yardage, I know the club I need. I never second guess a club selection, and if hit solid, I am never let down. I'm not sure if this makes sense, but my old clubs seemed to have "hot spots" that could cause the club to travel a little further than usual. This could be due to them having a slight cavity back, but I'm not sure. These clubs don't seem to have those if you ask me. Also, turf interaction was great yesterday, I was in the rough quite a few times and these clubs did very well, the club head did not get caught up or turn in the long grass.

I will be taking some pics and videos on Thursday, please let me know if you have any suggestions. I would enjoy that. As always, feel free to ask any questions.

The sentence about the club distance is spot on. I have found the same thing especially with the blades. I'm hitting it closer to the pin because I find myself playing to certain distances and these blades are extremely consistent as long as you put a decent swing on them.

The sentence about the club distance is spot on. I have found the same thing especially with the blades. I'm hitting it closer to the pin because I find myself playing to certain distances and these blades are extremely consistent as long as you put a decent swing on them.

Just so you know, your posts have me pondering graphite shafts!! Thanks :)

Just so you know, your posts have me pondering graphite shafts!! Thanks :)

Matty you will not be sorry. I'm pretty sure I'm completely done with steel. Nike should be applauded for offering a high quality no upcharge graphite option:nike:

Matty you will not be sorry. I'm pretty sure I'm completely done with steel. Nike should be applauded for offering a high quality no upcharge graphite option:nike:

Yeah, when fitted last year I was fitted with light iron shafts, and I really wanna try graphite with the same light weight.. its so late in the season, ill wait till demo day to try, can't wait to see how they feel

I find that interesting Dan because the Nike grips and I didn't get along at all with our wet weather. I've switched all my Nike clubs over to VDR's and I won't go back to anything else. I really enjoy how the plushy top and then firm underneath of the VDR's reminds me to take a lighter grip with these irons. I've found that nearly all my problems regarding over drawing the ball with these irons is due to gripping to hard or having the ball above my feet. I'm avoiding the former with the VDR's and I don't always have a say over the later.

Yes indeedy. This is fantastic in general but I'll admit that it's made me overly ambitious. Now that I know my consistent yardages with everything I've started playing with intentional draws and fades to see how I can alter the yardage. This is espcially true with the 8-PW so I can try and hit an exact spot on the green. Still a WIP for me though

Yeah, when fitted last year I was fitted with light iron shafts, and I really wanna try graphite with the same light weight.. its so late in the season, ill wait till demo day to try, can't wait to see how they feel

The PX come out to 93 grams I believe and they are a perfect match with these irons. They promote a slightly higher launch which negates the usually lower launch of a player iron. Makes the launch ideal for me IMO.

The PX come out to 93 grams I believe and they are a perfect match with these irons. They promote a slightly higher launch which negates the usually lower launch of a player iron. Makes the launch ideal for me IMO.

I like higher launch, thanks cl . And to everyone else keep the awesome reviews coming

I find that interesting Dan because the Nike grips and I didn't get along at all with our wet weather. I've switched all my Nike clubs over to VDR's and I won't go back to anything else. I really enjoy how the plushy top and then firm underneath of the VDR's reminds me to take a lighter grip with these irons. I've found that nearly all my problems regarding over drawing the ball with these irons is due to gripping to hard or having the ball above my feet. I'm avoiding the former with the VDR's and I don't always have a say over the later.

Yes indeedy. This is fantastic in general but I'll admit that it's made me overly ambitious. Now that I know my consistent yardages with everything I've started playing with intentional draws and fades to see how I can alter the yardage. This is espcially true with the 8-PW so I can try and hit an exact spot on the green. Still a WIP for me though

I've found myself doing the same thing ST. I'm trying to bring back a slight fade with the 8-PW because I know it will land slightly softer. So far I've been using it with pretty good success. Just for clarification my usual shot is a draw

Back