What club to add to the bag?

Oregon Golfer

#XBomb
Reaction score
Handicap
I have decided that I have an extra spot in my bag as I just don't hit my 4 iron well enough and don't really have a spot for the distance if I did hit it well. Below are my current distances and I;m looking for your ideas. I am thinking of adding a 3W, 3 or 4 hybrid, or a 60*. I think I would use the hybrid or FW most often but I really don't have a yardage gap to fit the hybrid because of the lack of distance with my 5 wood and 2i hybrid. How often do you just have to hit a 200 yard shot and can't stand to be 5-10 yards shorter or further than that? My gut says to get the 60* but I can hit my 56* well to as short as 50 yards or so, how often do you need to hit a 30 yard flop? I am also skeptical of if I would see any additional distance from a 3w rather than a 5w. Sorry for the long-winded rant but you can see the reasons for my indecisiveness. Thoughts?

5w - 210
2ihybrid - 190
5 - 175
6 - 165
7 - 160
8 - 150
9 - 135
PW - 125
48 - 115
52 - 105
56 - 95

How well do you hit your driver, and how far? It seems a 3w might be the best choice here.

How well do you hit your driver, and how far? It seems a 3w might be the best choice here.

Driver is my worst club. At best; 230 but that is rare. Usually it is 190 into the rough or OB. If I catch my 5w flush I have hit a few to 240 or so.

(sorry for the bit of honesty in terms of distance in this world of "internet golfers" lol)

I'm counting 11 clubs there, and with putter it'd be 12. Can't you add 2 more? Or is your driver still in the bag?

If you can find a 3w you mesh with, I think that would be the biggest help. I really struggled horribly with my driver until recently. I relied heavily on my 3w to keep my game moving along. I would hit all of them out there and see if you find one you get along with.

What's your swing speed on your driver and 6 iron.

I'm counting 11 clubs there, and with putter it'd be 12. Can't you add 2 more? Or is your driver still in the bag?

I'm sorry; YES the driver and putter are still in the bag. I currently sit at 13.

I'm sorry; YES the driver and putter are still in the bag. I currently sit at 13.

Ah, I have 13 as well. I say get a 3W. If you could hit it well off the tee it would be great.

Meh, nothing wrong 13 if you don't have a need, don't try and create a need.

--
tapatalk

Either a 3w or a lob wedge.

Ah, I have 13 as well. I say get a 3W. If you could hit it well off the tee it would be great.

Kind of my thought too. My 5W is 18*, should I add a 15* or go with a strong lofted 13*-14.5*?

Sounds like it'd be worth checking out some 3W's even if it were just to provide you with another option off of the tee. Doesn't sound like a stronger lofted 3W would be such a bad idea.

Think I would go with about a 14* 3 wood and take the time to find one that really works for you. Your driver just might not be set up for you so maybe try a few out while your there.

I vote for the 3W. Realistically how many times are we thinking of reaching a par 5 in two? If you are confident with your hybrid you can play that from the fairway on longer par 4's. FWIW, give the G20 3W a long hard look. Great club. Even at 15* it really launches the ball. On the other hand the RBZ comes in 13*...

I have very similar gaps with my clubs and a similar Club lineup (no 5 wood). I'm a little better spaced in the 4-6 irons. Maxing out at about 200 with the 4i. I really like having a 60 when I short side myself. And the courses I usually play have fast greens. However, I'm pretty comfortable hitting my driver so I don't mind not carrying a 3 wood. Can you figure out why you can't hit the driver. Would you consider shortening it by an 1-2" to make it the length of a 3wood. You could try choking up to see if it's easier to hit. That would be my focus before spending money on a new club.

My vote would be 3W as well buddy. Have you hit any of the current 3W's? There are quite a few getting some good praise right now. I reckon you should give the Mashie 3W a try.

Think I would go with about a 14* 3 wood and take the time to find one that really works for you. Your driver just might not be set up for you so maybe try a few out while your there.

Yeah looking into different drivers at the same time might be a good idea.
If a driver fits you properly you shouldn't be hitting your 5 wood farther

Tally up another for a 3 metal. As mentioned above a driver fitting might do ya some good too.

I pretty much have the same set up/issue (no probelm hitting my 4 iron or 5 wood but struggle with the 9.5 degree driver in the bag). I do however have a fairway driver (13 degree) which I use exclusively off the tee and which gives me consistently more yardage than my 5 wood (effectively, I play 13 clubs, because I'm struggling with the driver at the moment and I, like you don't really need a Lob wedge because I'm satisfied with my wedge set up as well). You may want to check out the Tour Exotics XCG-5 Fairway Woods...they start from 11.5 degrees all the way upto 21 degrees (so plenty to chose from between 15-11.5). I personally haven't tried them out myself but have heard very good things about them and am thinking about upgrading my current 13 degree with a TE XCG-5 (13 or lower loft is what I am looking at).

Driver is my worst club. At best; 230 but that is rare. Usually it is 190 into the rough or OB. If I catch my 5w flush I have hit a few to 240 or so.

(sorry for the bit of honesty in terms of distance in this world of "internet golfers" lol)
Hehe, I don't like my driver either. FW woods and hybrids give me the same distance or more but most importantly the ball goes straight ;).
Go try a find 3W you can hit well!

My vote is for a 3wood as well. Except I would get rid of the 2-hybrid and add a 60* just me spit balling.

I agree with this. Quoting so I don't have to re type it.

Team Hackers tapping!

3W is my vote, specifically the one for sale by me :)

Sounds like it'd be worth checking out some 3W's even if it were just to provide you with another option off of the tee. Doesn't sound like a stronger lofted 3W would be such a bad idea.

I'm with the 3w vote as well.

I am pondering some of the same issues. The only clubs I want in my bag are "comfortable" clubs. If I'm not comfortable when using the club, I don't want it in my bag. I use a lot of combinations of 3W, 5W, 3I, 4I, and 3, 4, or 5 wedges. You might try an adjustable 3W, it can be tweaked to meet your needs. I'm using the R-11 only because of adjustability. My other 3Ws are longer but this one is more comfortable to me right now.

You obviously hit your irons pretty well, so my recommendation would be to figure out the driver and add the 60° lob wedge, or get rid of the driver and just add 3w and lw. I get a ton of use out of my lob wedge, and not just the flop shot. I'll hit it full from 80, out of bunkers, out of thick greenside rough, or just chipping/pitching onto soft greens. Good luck!

Back