Callaway HEX Black and Chrome balls

I put a shamrock on mine

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2
I do the same thing, but I don't have a fancy tin cup marker, hand draw it :)

I do the same thing, but I don't have a fancy tin cup marker, hand draw it :)

Haha my hands are shaky

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Heading out to buy another dozen Blacks today. These things are lasting me forever as far as durability goes, it just sucks when you lose 5 balls on the back 9 after having a great front. Haha.

I went back to the Hex Black Tour today after messing around with the B330RXS and HEX Chrome for the last 4 or 5 rounds and boy how I missed this ball, did not really realize how much until todays round! Ended up with a 77

I played a 9 hole par 3 course this morning with the Hex chrome yellow and was really happy with the results. On 4 of my shots I saw 12"+ of back spin on the green, and on one of my full swings with my 54* I got over 4ft of back spin. I have rarely seen such high back spin in my shots onto the green, so I was really happy with it. I will find out how it preforms off of the driver for me tomorrow when I play a full 18.

I went back to the Hex Black Tour today after messing around with the B330RXS and HEX Chrome for the last 4 or 5 rounds and boy how I missed this ball, did not really realize how much until todays round! Ended up with a 77

Great round dude!

I tried the B330-S and have the same feeling you do. I'm willing to give the B330 a try, though, as I'd expect it to be the most similar to the Hex Black Tour.

Played a par 3 executive course with the Chromes today, I have no complaint about this ball. Haven't compared it to the Black but I don't see anything with the chrome I am not fond of, yet!

Per my email from Callaway:

"For only 273 hours, Callaway celebrates Ernie's winning score of 273 with offers on the Open Championship and award winning Razr Fit Driver and Hex Black Tour Ball."

Driver $273.00
Hex Black Tour Balls $27.30!!!

This is an awesome deal! Valid from 7/25/12 12:00am PST through 8/5/12 9:00am PST. I'll be picking up a few dozen!

I found two of the Chrome in the woods when I was looking for my own B330 and decided to test them myself. I liked them a lot off the tee and long irons. But they did not spin as much around the greens as I am used to. Not necessarily a bad thing, just not used to it.

"For only 273 hours, Callaway celebrates Ernie's winning score of 273 with offers on the Open Championship and award winning Razr Fit Driver and Hex Black Tour Ball."

Driver $273.00

This is an awesome deal! Valid from 7/25/12 12:00am PST through 8/5/12 9:00am PST. I'll be picking up a few dozen!
I wow 27.30 for the HEX Black, holy crap I hope I have some $$ left after buying my wedge next Friday! That deal is awesome!

Just split an order of 12 dz with a buddy. I now have enough Hex Black to last me for the next year or two. :banana:

Played the Hex Black yesterday during league night. I felt that the distance was on par with the Chrome. Spin off the irons was great and was holding greens without an issue. I am not a high spin player by any means. These were great balls to putt as well. Nice and soft. The ball was extremely durable and played all 9 with the same ball without issue. The hex chrome just felta hair harder off the tee than these balls. Both are great balls and cant wait to buy another dozen. Thanks Ernie :)

Driver $273.00

Thanks for posting this hjimzaf. I just bought a sleeve of the blacks for my next round. If I like them I will definitely act quickly and use this offer. Great deal for these golf balls.

I bought two boxes and snuck out for 9 quick holes at a nearby executive course. I really like the Black. Without having spent too much time with the ball I would say it is in the same class as the 330RX or RXS, but probably a bit better. General impressions:

Driver: I experienced exactly what so many others have described about length and straightness. Really impressive. I struggle to close the face with the driver, leading to blocks right and sometimes ugly block/slices. This ball held the line nicely on the blocks and didn't move off that line, which really saved me a few times.

Long Irons: I was extremely impressed with the ball's stopping power from distance. I hit a 5 iron 191 to about 12' of the pin. The ball moved 24" right of the ball mark (toward the hole) on the green. I hit 6 iron 172 and the ball ended up 10" left of the ball mark (toward the hole). Ball flight was slightly lower than I'm accustomed to but that is okay for me, as I tend to hit the ball high.

Mid and short irons: Again, extremely impressed. I actually lost strokes because I couldn't mentally convince myself to play at the flag and instead expected the ball to roll out, which it did not do. A 75 yard 60* lob from the rough moved 6" from the ball mark. A 3/4 PW from 90 yards moved back 36". I can remember maybe one or two times drawing the ball back, but never 3 feet...and certainly not from a 3/4 wedge shot. This is a potential game changer, allowing me to really fire at the pins with confidence.

Chip & pitches: I didn't get the ball to check up, but the roll out was less than normal and in a good way.

Putting: The ball felt firm but nice off the putter. I put several good rolls on the ball. I like it.

Durability: Mixed bag. I hit a couple of trees but over and above that (i.e., before tree issues) I saw the marks on the crests of the hexagons. Through about 3 holes that mostly washed off but by 6 holes it was clear the ball had some lasting wear on it.

Comparison to the RX...The Bridgestone gets the nod on durability but the Black takes it on length and greenside action. I would call it a tie between the two for being straight, both are really good.

Last edited:
Great stuff. I think i'm going to grab a couple dozen at least.

Well looks like since the blacks are on sale at such an amazing price I'm going to have to read through this whole thread tonight and see if it's worth trying em out. Am a big fan of the regular B330's, so I'll see what happens.

I didn't measure them all, but I think I averaged 250 today on holes 9-16 (6 driver holes). 17 was a par 3 and I tried too hard on the 18th and only got it about 200. (With the HEX Black)

What was your normal (pre- hex black) yardage on tee shots Smalls?

Just snagged 2 dozen of these mofo's (Hex Black) tonight. Thoughts to come...

What was your normal (pre- hex black) yardage on tee shots Smalls?

A good day gets me 230 or so. Average, probably 215-220. I had been working on my driving before I started with the HEX Black, so it's not all the ball. But a year ago I averaged 200, 215-220 was a good day. Hard KC ground doesn't hurt anything though. Today I was just trying to see how far I could hit it. I either hit the fairways or was good enough that being off the fairway didn't hurt me. Right now though, you kind of want to be just into the rough so the ball sits up a little.

I've just started playing the Hex Chromes and honestly, they are quite comparable to the Pro-v1 to me. The spin just as much on wedge shots, get good distance off the tee and sit nicely when you hit the green even with the longest irons. I will be testing these out in the weeks to come and may switch to them as my gamers before Varsity season begins in a month.

BDG

Well looks like since the blacks are on sale at such an amazing price I'm going to have to read through this whole thread tonight and see if it's worth trying em out. Am a big fan of the regular B330's, so I'll see what happens.

Bahester - That's exactly what I did last night. I'll summarize and save you a couple of hours:

The consensus appears to be that the ball is long and straight off the tee, with many people seeing the ball help minimize their fades/slices. Many people found Chrome to provide more spin on approach shots but thought the Black was still very good; some thought Black was better into the greens. Callaway seems to be saying the Chrome is for lower SS and Black for higher SS but there were very mixed results on this front among THPrs - some people that should have liked Chrome had better success with Black and vice versa. Virtually nobody thought the ball was inferior to Pv1 or RX. Many people found the ball to have really great durability, perhaps best in class amongst tour balls. Some expressed concerns that the crests of the hexagons showed cracks or signs of wear; some of these people got free replacement balls from Callaway. Most of the Callaway Morgan Cuppers - all except War Eagle? - ended up choosing the Black over the Chrome.

I played 9 with Black recently and ended with a comparison of the ball to the RX. Take a quick look, like one page back.

As a B330 and Z-Star lover (regular version of each), I am super eager to try out these Black's I just picked up.

Not war eagle (he is not in the MC).

Coolbreeze is the line chromer. Thanks for summarizing

Back