Anyone else hate the range?

andimetrum

Impervious to calculation
Reaction score
Handicap
Does anyone else's swing just go to staight-up poo out on the range?

I've been striking the ball well so far this year out on the course. My swing feels grooved. I can count my mis-hits on one hand. Putting is my only woe.

I've been to the range twice this year and have felt like Divot the Clown. Fat. Thin. Wide both ways. My swing felt like I was swimming in spaghetti.

This nasty trend started last fall. Enough. As of now the range is enemy ground. I'm sticking to the putting/chipping greens.

Usually it's the other way around, but lately I feel like I've been leaving my swing on the course. Can't transfer it to the practice facility. Am I the only one out there with this doofus disorder?

I actually enjoy my weekly range session. My game will go in the toilet pretty quickly if I miss a week or two. That is where I try stuff and work on mechanics.

It happens to everyone. Last summer I had a large bucket and I literally duffed the first 50 straight. Tried every trick in the freakin' book to fix it. With 70 left, I couldn't take it any more. I went in the clubhouse and took a nap on the couch. Yes. 90 minutes later I got up and my swing was back. I'd suggest taking a break and trying again later. Start with small buckets again and work back up to larges.

I love the range. I love the process. As frustrating as it is. I find it enjoyable to have a plan and execute. I try not to focus too much on the results, as long as I am working on what the teaching pro and I have worked on.

I think a lot of it comes with being tired. If I go to the range right when I wake up (say before tournaments) I tend to have really good range sessions. However, if I go later in the day or I hit a large quantity of balls, I really notice my productivity go down as I can't seem to keep the momentum.

It happens to everyone. Last summer I had a large bucket and I literally duffed the first 50 straight. Tried every trick in the freakin' book to fix it. With 70 left, I couldn't take it any more. I went in the clubhouse and took a nap on the couch. Yes. 90 minutes later I got up and my swing was back. I'd suggest taking a break and trying again later. Start with small buckets again and work back up to larges.
WOW, thats interesting.

When you have a couple kids under the age of 3, the range becomes the greatest place on earth. Lol

I know what you're saying though. Our focus isn't all there at the range somedays and I've learned to not stress over it.

Good practice = good game time performance. Take a lesson or see what the pros do when they go to the range, get a routine that works for you.

I work out every day and do a lot of yoga and golf stretching with rubber bands. If I had to choose one, I would dump the range and keep the exercise.

I enjoy the range myself. Now, when its hot as balls out I dont want to go HAM on the range but I really enjoy a GOOD range session. When things are ugly of course it isnt fun. But how about that time youre on the range and have a break through? Its awesome when that happens.

I'm a total range rat. I LOVE hitting balls at the range....and the worse I hit, the more compelled I feel to hit even more balls. If I go out and my swing feels nice and grooved, I might even walk away before I finish a bucket. On those days when I can't seem to hit straight, the second bucket is coming out. And I will be back the next day, too.

The range can be difficult if you dont have a clear target and treat every shot like its a real shot on the course. If you just go out there and blast ball with no target in mind, the range is pretty much a waste of time.
I dont exactly love the driving range, Id rathar spend my time practicing on the putting green.

LOVE the range. No tension. Decent workout. And usually shows an improvement for my next round.

It is usually opposite for me. I have awesome range sessions, hitting straight or slight draws and long. But when I am on the course I don't know what happens and I do horrible. It's proly a mental thing, haven't figured it out yet.

I love the range. Use it every time I go to the course.

I do see a lot of people hitting bad shots, their blood starts to boil, they try harder and harder and faster and faster and it just makes things worse. I saw this in my buddy who I've been teaching for a couple months now the other day. He was shanking and hitting it bad and he was super frustrated and kept asking me "WHAT AM I DOING WHAT AM I DOING!??". I told him to step back for a second, breathe and calm down. Then I got him to remember a feeling from a prior lesson and he was right back to hitting it good.

I think we'd all benefit from taking a step back when frustrated and look at the trees and birds and stuff and relax for a minute or two.

I love the range and the time I put in there. Lord knows it's been a lot. I also need to hit about 20 before a round to get into a groove.

Alex

I used to hate the range...I didn't see the point...why stand there and beat balls when the course is steps away...but that's all changed in the last couple of years thanks to the assistant pro at my course...he taught me how to make the range fun and productive..not just beating balls. I now go once or twice a week.

WOW, thats interesting.

haha I heard there was lots of people staring at me laughing, when I woke up the guy at the counter at that moment just laughed and asked me what the heck i was doing. Pretty much just said I was up way too late last night and I was sucking (no homo) on the range, so I needed a nap. Went back out and started hitting like a scratch golfer.

Not a huge range fan myself, though I force myself to go from time to time.

Found it has become more enjoyable after focusing more and adding a few "game" for myself, rather than just going out there and hitting balls. Helps keep the focus a little more.

I go to range only when I miss a day on the course

I don't like the range either. Last Sat I hit about 30 balls prior to my round. Hit every ball really well. Then hit the course and played like crap.

I barely went to the range last year. I agree your swing can bet sloppy. When I go this year I may keep it to small buckets.

I love practicing but I spend 85% of my time working on the short game. I might buy a small bucket per week. I can practice my short game with my own golf balls.

I love the range. I plan on actually practicing more this year and playing less. I really wanna work on a lot of things and I think the range practice green are the best place to do it.

Last weekend I drove to the course, said hi to my buddy in the pro shop drove to the first tee and striped one. No practice swing, no nothing. I think I have become used to not going to the range because Brigantine don't have one

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Back