TaylorMade R11 Irons Reviews

R11 Thoughts/Experiences:

I finally made it to the range today to hit some balls for the first time since FL. I have been staring at my R11 irons for the past week and a half just drooling and waiting for the chance to hit them again. I hit them well in Florida and it has just left an urge to get them on a home course to see if I can repeat my results.

Well, I didn't get to put them in play today, but I had an excellent range session. After warming up I pulled out the 8i and swung away at on of the greens. I lasered the flag, which was in the middle of the fairly large green, and came up with 149 yards. First swing was pure and the ball carried over the green. I was somewhat shocked, but loved the result. These clubs are long! I continued sending balls over the green until I finally pulled the 9i. First shot landed on the green which looked to be about pin high.

Thoughts:

I have been gaming the Tour Burners for 3 years now and have thought they were some of the best irons ever made. That thought slowly crept out of my mind during the weekend of The Morgan Cup and today's range session sealed the deal. I love the R11 irons and find them extremely easy to hit. They are long and pretty darn forgiving. I hit a few shots off center today, but they still went straight and didn't lose a lot of distance.

Ball Flight:

The first few days of TMC, I was seeing a straight shot or a small fade. Sunday of the TMC and today I was seeing a small draw. I could feel my swing dropping a little more inside than usual, thus resulting in the draw. I am hitting the irons a little higher than my Tour Burners, but they balls don't appear to be ballooning. I think the KBS shafts have a little something to do with this, but I kind of like it. The ball just goes and sits down soft on the greens.

Feel:

In my opinion, the R11 irons feel completely different than my Tour Burners. I can definitely feel well struck shots with the TB's, but the R11's provide different feedback...dare I say buttery? I know I'm hitting the ball well by seeing the ball flight, but at impact it almost feels soft. This is my first experience with the KBS Tours and I have read that they enhance "feel". Maybe this can help explain what I am sensing on well struck shots. I'd like to hit some R11's with different shafts to really compare.

Comparison: *Disclaimer: I'm sorry for the lack of quality in the pictures, but it's all I had to work with tonight*

VID00089.jpg

Here is how the back of the iron looks compared to my Tour Burner's and R9 TP.

VID00090.jpg

The sole of all 3 irons, From L - R: TB, R9, R11
The TB's are definitely the thickest of the bunch. I haven't seen exact numbers, but the R9 TP and R11 look pretty similar in size to me.

VID00091.jpg

Top Lines of all 3, From Bottom to Top: R11, TB, R9
Once again, the TB is the thickest. It's really beginning to look like (to me anyways) that the R11 and R9 TP share a lot of similarities in size. It looks like the offset is a little different, though.

Conclusion:

I love these irons and enjoy hitting them. The relationship is still early, but I look forward to gaming these just as long as my old Tour Burners...or until TaylorMade makes something else that pulls me away from them. I plan on playing a lot of golf this weekend and hope to snag some more info and a video or two. If you are in the market for some new irons, I would highly recommend giving these a swing. I mean, who wouldn't want to swing a club that is long and provides a fair amount of forgiveness?

Great update DD. I guess you'll be keeping them in the bag huh? haha.

Excellent write up buddy and thanks for the pictures. I didn't know you had TP's. DJ use to play those, lol.

I want these irons.

tapatalk: even available for lefties!

Excellent write up buddy and thanks for the pictures. I didn't know you had TP's. DJ use to play those, lol.

I want these irons.

Yeah that write up and even the crappy blackberry pictures did nothing to curb my infatuation with these sexy sticks.

Man I can't wait to try these out somewhere. I want to see them in person to see how great they really look. I thought from initial pictures that they would look like shovels in person, but now that a few people have put comparison photos on here of these alonside R9 TPs and Burner Tours, I think these are definitely worth looking at for my game! Great write-ups everyone!

Yeah that write up and even the crappy blackberry pictures did nothing to curb my infatuation with these sexy sticks.

DJ loves his TM gear and his BB. Reading his write up and seeing some side by sides has me in full on lust mode.

DJ loves his TM gear and his BB. Reading his write up and seeing some side by sides has me in full on lust mode.

Yo tambien mi rusty trusty amigo.

I was able to hit a demo R11 6 iron at Golf Galaxy today. My 91-92mph swing was getting out to around 185-190 yards on their monitor. It looked and felt really great! Definitely considering these.

Great update DD. I guess you'll be keeping them in the bag huh? haha.

Si Senor!

I want these irons.

Thanks dude. Yeah, I gamed the TP's for a little while last summer, but went back to the TB's.

Actually, I took the pics on a non-flash iPad 2, lol.

They were actually taken from the Flip using snapshot. Usually they are good quality, but not tonight.

Great videos CB! That course look sick...and tough.

Great comparison DD...I have not made it back out to the range or course since getting home from Florida, but I can say from the three days down there that these have easily displaced the Burner 2.0s in my permanent bag as well.

R11 Thoughts/Experiences:

I finally made it to the range today to hit some balls for the first time since FL. I have been staring at my R11 irons for the past week and a half just drooling and waiting for the chance to hit them again. I hit them well in Florida and it has just left an urge to get them on a home course to see if I can repeat my results.

Well, I didn't get to put them in play today, but I had an excellent range session. After warming up I pulled out the 8i and swung away at on of the greens. I lasered the flag, which was in the middle of the fairly large green, and came up with 149 yards. First swing was pure and the ball carried over the green. I was somewhat shocked, but loved the result. These clubs are long! I continued sending balls over the green until I finally pulled the 9i. First shot landed on the green which looked to be about pin high.

Thoughts:

I have been gaming the Tour Burners for 3 years now and have thought they were some of the best irons ever made. That thought slowly crept out of my mind during the weekend of The Morgan Cup and today's range session sealed the deal. I love the R11 irons and find them extremely easy to hit. They are long and pretty darn forgiving. I hit a few shots off center today, but they still went straight and didn't lose a lot of distance.

Ball Flight:

The first few days of TMC, I was seeing a straight shot or a small fade. Sunday of the TMC and today I was seeing a small draw. I could feel my swing dropping a little more inside than usual, thus resulting in the draw. I am hitting the irons a little higher than my Tour Burners, but they balls don't appear to be ballooning. I think the KBS shafts have a little something to do with this, but I kind of like it. The ball just goes and sits down soft on the greens.

Feel:

In my opinion, the R11 irons feel completely different than my Tour Burners. I can definitely feel well struck shots with the TB's, but the R11's provide different feedback...dare I say buttery? I know I'm hitting the ball well by seeing the ball flight, but at impact it almost feels soft. This is my first experience with the KBS Tours and I have read that they enhance "feel". Maybe this can help explain what I am sensing on well struck shots. I'd like to hit some R11's with different shafts to really compare.

Comparison: *Disclaimer: I'm sorry for the lack of quality in the pictures, but it's all I had to work with tonight*

VID00089.jpg

Here is how the back of the iron looks compared to my Tour Burner's and R9 TP.

VID00090.jpg

The sole of all 3 irons, From L - R: TB, R9, R11
The TB's are definitely the thickest of the bunch. I haven't seen exact numbers, but the R9 TP and R11 look pretty similar in size to me.

VID00091.jpg

Top Lines of all 3, From Bottom to Top: R11, TB, R9
Once again, the TB is the thickest. It's really beginning to look like (to me anyways) that the R11 and R9 TP share a lot of similarities in size. It looks like the offset is a little different, though.

Conclusion:

I love these irons and enjoy hitting them. The relationship is still early, but I look forward to gaming these just as long as my old Tour Burners...or until TaylorMade makes something else that pulls me away from them. I plan on playing a lot of golf this weekend and hope to snag some more info and a video or two. If you are in the market for some new irons, I would highly recommend giving these a swing. I mean, who wouldn't want to swing a club that is long and provides a fair amount of forgiveness?

Great writeup DD. Thanks for sharing!:golf3:

Great write up DD! I didn't know you gamed the R9s, but I loved those irons,and I love these more.

Nice video CB and great write up DD, I can't wait till I can actually hit one of these...I have so got new iron fever!

Great write up DD! I love the side by side pictures with the other clubs. Thanks for all the great info. I might be asking for these clubs for xmas!

Last video of the night I promise, you all must be tired of my bad swing. We tried a little video editing here with some of the videos we made. Thanks to the Hoff for doing most of this.

[YOUTUBE]ksLvwH-Jt38[/YOUTUBE]

I was able to hit a demo R11 6 iron at Golf Galaxy today. My 91-92mph swing was getting out to around 185-190 yards on their monitor. It looked and felt really great! Definitely considering these.
is that possible?

is that possible?

I also had a 92 mph swing with a 6 iron and was seeing 183-188 with the 6 iron. So I think that sounds about right.

my bad, i misread the post...
i was thinking his driver SS was 90mph...which would mean his iron SS would not be.....my bad, sorry carry on.

i have never really been interested in a TM iron, but these on the other hand.....

my bad, i misread the post...
i was thinking his driver SS was 90mph...which would mean his iron SS would not be.....my bad, sorry carry on.

i have never really been interested in a TM iron, but these on the other hand.....

I'm right there with you. These irons are intriguing me more and more. I mean if CB can hit them well....:blob:

I'm right there with you. These irons are intriguing me more and more. I mean if CB can hit them well....:blob:

Screw you Chunky! :act-up: Seriously though, these are the best irons I have ever owned and just great to hit.

Screw you Chunky! :act-up: Seriously though, these are the best irons I have ever owned and just great to hit.

You've hit quite a few sets of irons over the past year CB. Do these rank up at the top? I don't know why but I generally don't look at TM irons. I've liked some in the past quite a bit but if I'm being honest I tend to only look at TM woods. But these for some reason peak my interest:skywalker:

Last video of the night I promise, you all must be tired of my bad swing. We tried a little video editing here with some of the videos we made. Thanks to the Hoff for doing most of this.

[YOUTUBE]ksLvwH-Jt38[/YOUTUBE]

Cool vid CB. Hoff did a great job and I like how it ended with the closeup of the penta.

Back