Boccieri Heavy Fairway Wood Testers Thread

finally got computer access to highlight the round on Wednesday in which the Boccieri saw some action. I unfortunately wasnt hitting any fairways that day, so my usage was off of the tee.

#14-Par 5 479 yards-Let me preface anything by saying this is my nemesis hole. Gotta carry water slightly off of the tee, which then runs all the way up the elft side and cuts back across about 100 yards in front of the green making it a tough hole to go for in 2. I usually do something real dumb here so the tee shot was crucial. Hit a nice high ball off of the tee dead straight which crept into the rough. GPS said only 220, but I think it was further just cause of the angle coming back into the hole. My buddy then proceeded to try and cut the corner with this thing to the left and absolutely hammered it across the water into the landing zone and gave himself a shot at the green in 2.

#15-Par 4 353 yards-Hit one solid off of the tee here, had a little bit of a tail to the right, but nothing like the slices I had been experiencing, was 220 off of the tee and left me a PW to the green.

#17-Par 5 524 yards-Gotta hit driver off of the tee, but ive been hitting it so bad, I had to go 3W. I usually miss right here and then end up smacking my 2nd ball OB off of some houses. This time I hit the 3W down the left side, cleared a bunker and ended up in the rough, 225 off of the tee. Had to hit 3H on the next shot due to the bad lie.

#18-Par 4 390 yards-Dogleg right here, this was the best feeling swing all day with the club, hit it right down the middle, but was shocked that it was only 227 off of the tee, but in the fairway nonetheless.

All in all, I was pretty satisfied with the club today. The one concern was the lack of distance compared to well stuck balls with my burner 3W. However that was offset by better consistency with this club today compared to the burner on the front 9 and at least gave me opportunities to score. I do like the bigger face on the club compared to the burner, it appears to be way more forgiving then the Burner which im pretty sure I was blading (if possible) on the front 9.

I was disappointed that I wasnt in any positions to use it on my 2nd shots, but there's always next time.

Nice info Mike.

You hit 3H out of the rough on the Par 5, have you tried hitting the Heavy Wood out of that kind of lie yet? In my testing, I have found that from the rough, a 3/4 swing with the Heavy Wood is outperforming my 3H with a full swing.

What kind of Hybrid are you hitting?

Nice job on the video BBB! It did a really good job of showing us the sound of that club...and I admit that it sounds really nice at impact. Keep up the great work!

Mike, what is your typical distance with your other 3W?

Mike, what is your typical distance with your other 3W?

avg of 235-240, hit a few every now and then 250 and had one last week at 260 (which I then bladed the next shot OB over the green).

Since im not hitting driver now, Im already losing 2 clubs at least, cant be losing anymore as my long irons are not my strong suit

Nice info Mike.

You hit 3H out of the rough on the Par 5, have you tried hitting the Heavy Wood out of that kind of lie yet? In my testing, I have found that from the rough, a 3/4 swing with the Heavy Wood is outperforming my 3H with a full swing.

What kind of Hybrid are you hitting?

Might be worth a shot, my miss there is usually the back shoulder dipping and then skying the ball straight up. I hit my 3H pretty far and straight but would welcome some extra yards with the 3W. Just usually dont try it if the ball isnt sitting up nice and pretty, but with this club, might be worth a shot.

Currently playing the old burner 07 hybrid, 19*

Might be worth a shot, my miss there is usually the back shoulder dipping and then skying the ball straight up. I hit my 3H pretty far and straight but would welcome some extra yards with the 3W. Just usually dont try it if the ball isnt sitting up nice and pretty, but with this club, might be worth a shot.

Currently playing the old burner 07 hybrid, 19*

Test it out, I have had some success hitting this heavy wood out of the rough. Typically I would hit my 3h here, and it was my go to shot in that situation. I really like how this club gets through the rough, and the results I have seen with a 3/4 swing have been good to see.

Test it out, I have had some success hitting this heavy wood out of the rough. Typically I would hit my 3h here, and it was my go to shot in that situation. I really like how this club gets through the rough, and the results I have seen with a 3/4 swing have been good to see.

will do, I'll have to focus on not swinging out of my shoes, tends to be another thing I do when I get to rip a wood off of the deck

Mike you really need to try this club out of the rough like the others have mentioned, a 3/4 swing and it just rips right through the rough and gets the ball out great, for some reason it play more like a hybrid from the rough but just with added distance.

Mike you really need to try this club out of the rough like the others have mentioned, a 3/4 swing and it just rips right through the rough and gets the ball out great, for some reason it play more like a hybrid from the rough but just with added distance.

consider it done!

Here's some quick footage of me hitting some balls from light rough.

I like how you played it back in your stance to ensure ball first contact. The last 3 shots had really good contact. Even though it wasn't thick rough, you pounded them down to mimic a more difficult shot to pull off.

I love the sound of these fairway woods.

Good stuff, thanks!

Tee times made for Sunday and Monday morning, cant wait to get back out there. Im pondering a Flip camera as well, I dont think my videos have been to bad from my Iphone though, kinda hate to spend the money when my phone is doing fine

Nice job on the video BBB! It did a really good job of showing us the sound of that club...and I admit that it sounds really nice at impact. Keep up the great work!

Thanks mcook, it does sound nice, and works great from the rough.

Thanks for the vid BBB. Im pretty impressed at how well the ball comes out of even light rough with that wood.

Thanks Thainer, it does cut through the rough very easily. I imagine the extra weight in the head, as well as the compact size and shallow face, help out with that. I'd say it's at least as easy to hit from the rough as a hybrid or a 5w.

Tee times made for Sunday and Monday morning, cant wait to get back out there. Im pondering a Flip camera as well, I dont think my videos have been to bad from my Iphone though, kinda hate to spend the money when my phone is doing fine

I haven't been pleased at all with the video from the iPhone, picked up a Flip yesterday afternoon. Cant beat it, 4gb Flip for 49.99 @ BestBuy now.

Thanks Thainer, it does cut through the rough very easily. I imagine the extra weight in the head, as well as the compact size and shallow face, help out with that. I'd say it's at least as easy to hit from the rough as a hybrid or a 5w.

Im with you 3B, I actually prefer the feel of this in the rough over my 3H. The angle of the face, and size of the head makes getting through the rough very easy.

I like how you played it back in your stance to ensure ball first contact. The last 3 shots had really good contact. Even though it wasn't thick rough, you pounded them down to mimic a more difficult shot to pull off.

I love the sound of these fairway woods.

Good stuff, thanks!

Thanks Biggsy, playing the ball back is a must for this shot imo. This 3w is the best I have ever used from the rough, about as easy as a hybrid in my experience.

will do, I'll have to focus on not swinging out of my shoes, tends to be another thing I do when I get to rip a wood off of the deck

Nice update MD! Do you have any ideas as to why you are losing distance with the Boccieri? I was surprised to find that I lost only a little distance compared to my FL.

Glad to see you are going to get back out there.
About the iphone, if it works why fix it? I think your vids are just fine.

Im with you 3B, I actually prefer the feel of this in the rough over my 3H. The angle of the face, and size of the head makes getting through the rough very easy.

No doubt, I've been thinking of this as a Boccieri Heavy 3w/rescue club. I should have saved that last shot on the vid for the course though, I'd have been puttin for eagle off that one.

I haven't been pleased at all with the video from the iPhone, picked up a Flip yesterday afternoon. Cant beat it, 4gb Flip for 49.99 @ BestBuy now.
You think mine are that bad lol
Glad to see you are going to get back out there.
About the iphone, if it works why fix it? I think your vids are just fine.

That was my thinking as well, I didnt think my Iphone4 was doing bad at all but if others think I need better quality I will buy the flip. Ya im def excited to get back out there and play.

You think mine are that bad lol

That was my thinking as well, I didnt think my Iphone4 was doing bad at all but if others think I need better quality I will buy the flip. Ya im def excited to get back out there and play.

LOL. I was saying that I haven't been pleased with the video I have shot with MY iPhone. That's why I went and bought a Flip, I didn't think my iphone was taking very good video. Your's has looked fine, not sure if there is an issue with my lens being dirty or what.

LOL. I was saying that I haven't been pleased with the video I have shot with MY iPhone. That's why I went and bought a Flip, I didn't think my iphone was taking very good video. Your's has looked fine, not sure if there is an issue with my lens being dirty or what.

lol i was just messing with ya. I just cleaned up my Heavy Wood and its still looking new, the sole is holding up really good for being so shiny

I got some video of Spiff hitting the heavy 3W off the teebox yesterday, but having some trouble uploading it. Think I need to kick my router in the azz.
Was very impressed by what I saw, unfortunatley I couldn't try it as Spiff is one of those slaves to conformity and hits right handed. :D

As soon as I get it uploaded I'll post it here

Back