Finally joined a course

Clarkey

Reaction score
Handicap
So i thouhgt it was time i joined a course as i have finally settled on living arrangements.

I had a look and played all my local courses and decided which to join.

I dont really know anyone there and im worrying that i would struggle to find people to play with.

As im sure you are aware i need to get 3 cards in to get my course handi cap.

Now im slightly nervous about my first round with total strangers especially when the first tee is out of bounds all the way down the right and is the hardest tee shot on the course.

Any tips to help settle me into my round and getting to know more people at the club??

It's never easy meeting new people but remember just be yourself and after a few weeks your sure to meet some people you'll get along with. I have always found having some extra goodies in your bag and sharing is a good way to kick up some conversations.

As for the first hole play to your strengths and don't worry if the first hole doesn't work out, you still have 17 more

Best of luck lad

Congrats on finding and joining a club. Being able to play whenever you like will do wonders for your game. I went through the same thing last year. Moved to a new area, new club, and I was just getting back into the game. First thing is to not care about the other people playing with you because unless you are better than them they won't care how you play. No one I have played with at my club has ever judged me based on my performance on the course or at least they haven't said anything and really once your into it you care more about your own game than those around you, you'll notice good shots but at the end of each hole chances are you won't remember their score and they won't remember yours as really noone pays that much attention.
In terms of getting to know people I know over here our club is very social. I got to know everyone pretty quickly just by hanging around at the bar on a Saturday afternoon and getting to know the other people who do. They then introduce you to the other members. Most golf clubs are pretty social I've found in the past.

I've just recently joined my club and I'm in a similar position waiting to get the scorecards in for my first official handicap.

I just started going out as a single behind all the morning ballots at the weekend. One of the first times I went out with a guest and a single member asked to join us. At the end of the round he invited me to join him if i saw him again.
The following week I went out on my own and after playing the first hole on my own I was invited to play with the three-ball in the front. Played again with them last week and been invited to join them for a regular fourball.

I would say put yourself in a position to meet people, don't play late in the afternoon when there is no one else out.

Quite a few courses organise new member days too, might be worth asking if your club is doing that. Great way to break the ice.

I was in the same position last summer, and I was 15. Usually I would just ask the pro shop to pair me up with someone, so I'd play with nice guys but never see them again. In June I started hanging around on league nights to pop in and be a sub if guys were missing. I met two guys there who I've probably played 50 rounds with since then. All you gotta do is hang around and be friendly, ask people if you can join them, ask singles to join you, etc...

I would recommend getting the calendar of events for the club. It will keep you informed of all the upcoming tournaments and other events going on at the club. That will get you out meeting people rather quickly.

As for the first tee... 9 Iron all the way!

I defo plan on playing in the comps which should help me meet people! The reason I chose this course was how friendly the treasure and other members of the board were! Since posting this morning the club called saying they have got me a member to play with tomorrow night and Friday night! The list goes up on a Friday night for the following sat comps which should mean there will be plenty of members in! Should be a good way to get to know people! Thanks for the info guys!

I just joined a course today as well.
I had played there a few times as the end of last year so I'm used to it and the course pro remembered me after only a few rounds which was a big plus.

$750 for unlimited golf for the season + social events + leagues + tournaments so it's a pretty good deal. Only have to go 20 times to get my money back based on current green fee rates and I figure I'll have no problem doing that.

Walk up on the first tee with a pink flying lady and announce that you will be playing it. You should get a laugh and break the ice and or tension.
If that does work for you, walk up on the tee and say hello my name is Phil, Phil mcCrevis....hehehe
Just be yourself and you will be fine! A firm hand shake and eye contact and away you go

Congrats and take advantage of all the bonus you get with a club membership!

Back