Mizuno JPX-800 HD Irons

Im not sure if you have picked up a Z-Star iron, but its the same size as a Burner 2.0 and these clubs being discussed here. Large sole and topline, and larger overall club head.
I have and its a nice iron and its very friendly. I wouldnt call it a SGI iron or in the same category as the JPX-800 HD. I mean, Srixon themselves says its an iron for low to mid handicappers. Id say its much more comparable to an MX-200 or a JPX-800 (not the Pro) than the JPX-800 HD.
Its definetly not a shovel.

Last edited:
How would you compare these in forgiveness and length to the Burner 2.0s and the Diablo edge?

How would you compare these in forgiveness and length to the Burner 2.0s and the Diablo edge?
I would say theyre very similar. Theyre a set for high-handicappers who need a bit of help with forgiviness and added distance.

activate ddec voice:
Looks like they have some of the Razr technology in there
deactivate ddec voice

Weird head shape to me, hybrid sets are nice though. I'm not looking for irons anytime soon though

MattyCaulk Aka Hawk hunter

Weird head shape to me, hybrid sets are nice though. I'm not looking for irons anytime soon though

MattyCaulk Aka Hawk hunter
Thats the same thing I thought when I first saw that video. Its like the sole of the club is wider out towards the toe. I look forward to seeing these clubs in person and try them out on the simulator when I get a chance.
For the most part I liked the MX-100 and it will be interesting to see how the 800 HDs compare.

I like his shoes. Wish Mizuno would offer their full line of equipment including shoes, balls, and putters here in the US.

At first sight and thought these don't really make me feel any different about Mizuno and their quality forged offerings. I do however doubt how well these will sell, What is the street price? Will someone looking for a "HD" or "XD" type hybrid, SGI set be willing to spend the Mizuno price? Or will Mizuno drop the price to meet the expectation of the audience? I doubt it.

If I was in the market for a set like this, I would probably look at other, less expensive OEM's. If I want a high quality set of forged irons, Mizuno will still be on my list.

I got to try these Irons out when the Mizuno rep came to the Superstore. He told me CH3 was gaming them cause he loved them so much. The irons are incredible to hit. I mean what can I say. Consistent ball strike, excellent feel, control. Everything you would want in an iron. Only concern is they are a tad on the heavy feeling side, but maybe thats the shaft. Excellent clubs. I would game them tomarrow if I could.

I got to try these Irons out when the Mizuno rep came to the Superstore. He told me CH3 was gaming them cause he loved them so much. The irons are incredible to hit. I mean what can I say. Consistent ball strike, excellent feel, control. Everything you would want in an iron. Only concern is they are a tad on the heavy feeling side, but maybe thats the shaft. Excellent clubs. I would game them tomarrow if I could.

You may want to ask that rep when you see him to check with CH3 again.

My concern for Mizuno over sets like this is their attempt at getting into this market. Some think that by bringing out more varied sets, they'll sell more. I'm not so sure. I think they might be in danger of alienating some hardcore fans who like their exclusivity and ego-centric qualities. By bringing out more and more sets, they're pitching their tent in the middle of TM/Callaway territory....do they have the muscle to compete in there? We might know better with experience of their equipment, but the casual shopper might just be inclined to bracket them more with the Wilsons of the equipment world. With the price point Mizuno go in at, I'm not sure they can afford this gamble.

My concern for Mizuno over sets like this is their attempt at getting into this market. Some think that by bringing out more varied sets, they'll sell more. I'm not so sure. I think they might be in danger of alienating some hardcore fans who like their exclusivity and ego-centric qualities. By bringing out more and more sets, they're pitching their tent in the middle of TM/Callaway territory....do they have the muscle to compete in there? We might know better with experience of their equipment, but the casual shopper might just be inclined to bracket them more with the Wilsons of the equipment world. With the price point Mizuno go in at, I'm not sure they can afford this gamble.

Thats interesting. If you look at the last 24 months of releases, I am not sure any company has released more sets than Mizuno. They have spread out to 5 or so sets in their lineup at a given time and it has been called over done by a few.

Thats interesting. If you look at the last 24 months of releases, I am not sure any company has released more sets than Mizuno. They have spread out to 5 or so sets in their lineup at a given time and it has been called over done by a few.

I'd agree with them. I loved my last set of Mizunos, and although choice in the market is a good thing....some of their better sets might suffer because (imo of course) they're just not giving consumers the chance to 'find' them. If your irons really are that good, put some weight behind one model for a while and they'll sell.

I like his shoes. Wish Mizuno would offer their full line of equipment including shoes, balls, and putters here in the US.
Amen to that. I dont see it happening though. The shoe, putter and ball market is already too crowded and there simply isnt a big enough slice of the pie left for it to make sense for Mizuno from a business standpoint.
You could always get the putters and balls imported from Japan though and could get shoes imported as well as long as you can fit into a 9.5 or smaller.

There are definitely spreading themselves all over the place, a bit different for the company that built their repetition on " an elitist type" attitude that they focused on just a few things to make sure they got them right.

Mizuno isnt just getting into this marked. They have made GI and SGI irons for many years. Mizuno can offer both blades and players' cavity backs for the elite players and super forgiving GI irons for hacks. Theres plenty of room in their lineup for both.
They definetly have been aggressive lately in releasing new irons and I too wonder how long they are going to keep it up. I highly doubt the average MP player feels that least bit threatened by the fact that Mizuno is making irons that cater to hackers though.

These look like a set that I would like. I have the feeling when I change sets, I will keep at least the 3-5 of my HB3's, I hit them better than any longer iron I have ever hit before.

These look like a set that I would like. I have the feeling when I change sets, I will keep at least the 3-5 of my HB3's, I hit them better than any longer iron I have ever hit before.
Not to mention that if you dont like high-lofted hybrids you might not like the upper end of this set. That was my issue with the MX-100s. I loved the 6-PW but didnt care for the 4H or 5H.

As a new golfer looking at Mizuno before this set came out, I thought that their offerings were not even worth me trying as they had a reputation as a players brand. Therefore I never considered trying out any Mizuno irons when I went to the golf store. Now that they have more offerings for my type of demographic I think I might be trying them out. I think that is what they are trying to accomplish with such a diverse product offering.

Anybody had a the opportunity to hit these outside yet. I am curious if these are selling and what they are like for some reason?

I believe that Mizuno can continue to have a split product line. The MP for the low handicap players club and the JPX for those who need more of a GI club. For years it was the MX line which I own a set. The difference was the MX's were forged until the 1000's if i'm correct. The question on this new iron will be is a player who is shopping for a SGI iron pay the higher price for this set. I dont think the 1000's sold well because of the high pricetag compared to other irons that performed the same. The MP players will pay that premium for a premium club. Will people buy these when they can go to the next rack and get the Adams and save a couple hundred?

Back