Harrison Shotmaker - THP Preview

There are so many factors, so many variables, that come into play on the golf course that to really compare one to another you probably have to play both for at least 4 or 5 rounds under conditions that are as close to consistent as possible to really know which of several clubs, or in this case a technology, is going to be better for your game unless one of them is just not hittable at all or really just doesn't work for you for any reason. I think Hawk is going about this in the right way, real world testing is the only way to determine whether there is any real benefit from the shaft insert.

Sorry Yoccos for that confusion. I have a bit of a scientific mind (and it is not helped by the fact that I have been reading medication studies all morning). I was just curious if there was a comparison group or not, and didn't mean for it to completely hijack the thread. I'll let it die now.

I think this is a great thread to be honest becuase it brings up a few things. Its just when I hear accuracy booster, I assume it means I'm going to be more accurate. If it doesnt do this, I'll perculate as to why? Just like any club claims a distance increase, higher ss, more forgiveness... the point is it should be able to work and be reviewed by us regular golfers.

I'm not saying this product is junk, but it certainly hasn't blown everyone away. I also dislike the fact you almost need a fitting for this thing, why not just get a better fit shaft>?

You dont. But that is with any equipment in the world. Anytime we pick up equipment you should only be changing because it makes you a better golfer. The Shotmaker to me did very little to nothing both on the course and launch monitor for me over several weeks. Will it work for some people? Im sure it will. But like anything, it wont work for everybody. For me (and only me), the way it is advertised came off as snake oil based on my results. Something that will cure the slice or hook by just putting it in the shaft.

Now that is not their intent, but they market something as "an accuracy booster" and then I dont see any accuracy boosting, I question it.

This is a fair assessment I think. I was always skeptical about this idea, but when some see a tighter dispersion it doesnt neccesarily surprise me, I just know Im not going to pay the money to put this in my driver. Another good example for me is the mashie. Everyone told me how much they loved the mashie, but when I used it I hooked the crap out of it no matter what I tried.

Golf is a funny game. Different strokes for different folks.

There have been numerous people who have found this product to do exactly what it advertises (both on this site and others that test products), and there have been a few who are not seeing the same results. But to characterize this as a do nothing product is incorrect in my opinion.

There have been numerous people who have found this product to do exactly what it advertises (both on this site and others that test products), and there have been a few who are not seeing the same results. But to characterize this as a do nothing product is incorrect in my opinion.

I dont see where anybody said that though. I said it did nothing for me. Both scientifically and on the actual course. I was also quick to say that "Im sure it will work for some people". You tried it for the company and liked it and posted about how it worked for you. Others have tried it for the company and posted that it did not work for them. I dont see why one has to be wrong and one has to be right? Should I not post my findings because it did not work?

Lets use another example. Lets take drivers. You were asked to test the Heavy Driver for THP. You then tested it and posted your results. If the driver did not work for you, would that make your opinions less valid or not wanted because it was working for others?

I have no doubt that the shotmaker could work for many, but for me it did nothing but hurt my driver results. I didn't see less sidespin, but I did see a lower ball flight, and less distance. This was with both the E and the F and while I think it is a really interesting product, it is not for me, and I will not be putting it in a driver again. I'm glad its working for Dr Teeth and that shows that it works, but I don't think it will work for every golfer.

It is not my point that is will work for everyone (there is not a product in the world that can do this), but my concern was that it was being portrayed as a hoax. If it doesn't work for someone, than that is exactly what they should say. To say anything else would be disingenuous and that is the worst thing in the world you could be when evaluating a product because it only does harm. It harms those who are considering a product and it harms the company that produces the product because they get useless feedback. My only point was that it works for a good number of people, myself being one if them.

It is not my point that is will work for everyone (there is not a product in the world that can do this), but my concern was that it was being portrayed as a hoax. If it doesn't work for someone, than that is exactly what they should say. To say anything else would be disingenuous and that is the worst thing in the world you could be when evaluating a product because it only does harm. It harms those who are considering a product and it harms the company that produces the product because they get useless feedback. My only point was that it works for a good number of people, myself being one if them.

Again, that is not what I said. I said the marketing that THEY used came off that way to ME.
I have never ever ever ever ever been anything but 10000% completely honest with my thoughts on this or any other product. I dont think there is anything wrong with discussing how a product is marketed and the claims that are made by this or anything else. If a company puts out a driver that guarantees 50 yards more distance, I would say the exact same thing.

You stand behind your reviews on this site and your thoughts on equipment just as much as anybody else (and you should). Just like that, I stand behind my thoughts on a product for the same reasons.

Would it be fair to conclude that this Shotmaker might function as a correction for a poorly fitted driver shaft but if your fit is good it really doesn't help much - if at all? It might be another option to buying a new shaft or a new driver to correct a problem, assuming of course that the shaft or the driver and not the swing is the problem.

Again, that is not what I said. I said the marketing that THEY used came off that way to ME.
I have never ever ever ever ever been anything but 10000% completely honest with my thoughts on this or any other product. I dont think there is anything wrong with discussing how a product is marketed and the claims that are made by this or anything else. If a company puts out a driver that guarantees 50 yards more distance, I would say the exact same thing.

You stand behind your reviews on this site and your thoughts on equipment just as much as anybody else (and you should). Just like that, I stand behind my thoughts on a product for the same reasons.

I just want to clarify that I was in no way pointing to one specific post or poster, just the overall feeling I was getting. I completely agree with everything you said here!

Would it be fair to conclude that this Shotmaker might function as a correction for a poorly fitted driver shaft but if your fit is good it really doesn't help much - if at all? It might be another option to buying a new shaft or a new driver to correct a problem, assuming of course that the shaft or the driver and not the swing is the problem.

I think that the people who are likely to see the biggest percentage of improvement from this product are those with shafts that were not fit to them (ie stock shafts, etc). That being said I am playing a very well fitting shaft and this is definitely working for me.

Harrison says that the Shotmaker prevents shaft deformation and vibrations, which cause inaccuracy, but how much inaccuracy is really caused by those two factors? My sidespin issues have always happened due to an over the top move or coming too far inside. I don't understand how this could possibly negate either of those swing flaws.

Harrison says that the Shotmaker prevents shaft deformation and vibrations, which cause inaccuracy, but how much inaccuracy is really caused by those two factors? My sidespin issues have always happened due to an over the top move or coming too far inside. I don't understand how this could possibly negate either of those swing flaws.

It can't. :) For me when I miss it is usually a club face issue. Either it is open or closed at impact. When this happens, the club face deforms, for me especially when it is open. I feel like this keeps that from happening to such a great extent, which is why, I believe, for me this has been working so well.

Editing because I accidentally hit send too early

I guess that's my only issue related to the way it's advertised. I know where side spin comes from, but there are lots of people out there that don't. The website says in big letters that accuracy could be improved by 40%, sidespin reduced, etc. I don't think most amateurs are slicing the ball for any other reason that their swing stinks.

Let me also say that I'd love this to work. Trust me on that! I'd kill to hit 40% more fairways.

I guess that's my only issue related to the way it's advertised. I know where side spin comes from, but there are lots of people out there that don't. The website says in big letters that accuracy could be improved by 40%, sidespin reduced, etc. I don't think most amateurs are slicing the ball for any other reason that their swing stinks.

Let me also say that I'd love this to work. Trust me on that! I'd kill to hit 40% more fairways.

I understand what you mean with that completely Hawk. Alot will try them think they are a swing fix when they really aren't, they are more of a shaft fix. I knew that going in but alot of people have no idea, no matter what when I get lazy and go OTT the Shotmaker isn't going to fix that, period. I've got a pretty and consistent swing now off the tee though and it has helped my FIR's. Certainly not for everyone though.

This is really my first time taking a really hard look at the shot maker. Hawk- I am excited to see your launch monitor numbers in respect to side and back spin. While I put some stock in the "field" results like FIR, there are a ton of variables that simply convolute the whole process.

Thanks for taking the time and being so thorough!

I have a d e and f we could throw in one of your shafts if you want to try

CG, which one are you playing right now buddy?

Do any other them help speed up play?

Reactions: JB
One thing that continues to cross my mind is - why not just get fit for a shaft that tightens your dispersion? Without getting too specific, I did see some improvements, but I also saw similar improvements with another head/shaft combo that seems to fit me a little better. Is it worth all of the money to buy a driver/shaft comb and then a shotmaker if you could just get similar results from just getting a better fitting driver in the first place?

Here is the reasoning from the Shotmaker website:

http://www.harrison.com/articledetail/what-does-shotmaker-do

It seems like they are saying that even a properly fit shaft deforms upon non-center impact, and the Shotmaker is helping with that aspect.

I would say that this will not (nor do I think they say it will) help giant swing flaws like huge pulls hooks and push slices. Also, if you are someone who hits the ball with a square clubface then again, there is not much to help. Sure - you may pull the ball dead left, but if the clubface is square to that path then there is no side spin to correct. But if your path is a little in or out, and the face a little open or closed, I could see this keep those shots within the fairway vs. 10 - 15 yards off into the woods.

Definitely not for everyone though, but many people could see improvement with the correct Shotmaker.

I've read all the material and get what they are saying, but is it worth an extra $150? How is this supposed to help an open face or swing path that is too far inside out or outside in? I don't see how this would help that at all.

Here is the reasoning from the Shotmaker website:

http://www.harrison.com/articledetail/what-does-shotmaker-do

It seems like they are saying that even a properly fit shaft deforms upon non-center impact, and the Shotmaker is helping with that aspect.

I would say that this will not (nor do I think they say it will) help giant swing flaws like huge pulls hooks and push slices. Also, if you are someone who hits the ball with a square clubface then again, there is not much to help. Sure - you may pull the ball dead left, but if the clubface is square to that path then there is no side spin to correct. But if your path is a little in or out, and the face a little open or closed, I could see this keep those shots within the fairway vs. 10 - 15 yards off into the woods.

Definitely not for everyone though, but many people could see improvement with the correct Shotmaker.

It seem to me that they are saying vibrations could cause inaccuracy in any situation, including a perfect shot.

I think the problem here is simply the marketing. If you tell the masses this product, can help reduce sidespin by 40% thats a big claim that is hard to back up. Someone would have to be playing a shaft that is totally wrong for them to see results like that and have all their sidespin come from shaft deformation and not from swing path and face angle. While I do think this product can help some golfers, I think the majority of sidespin produced by the amatuer golfer is from swing path and face angle, so I fear there are going to be a lot of people who buy this $160 dollar product thinking it will fix their slice, only to find that it does nothing for them.

I have an honest question about this product. Since it will not fix bad swings that cause the slice or hook (nor should it be expected), but can help with shaft deformation that can cause issues, why are those playing at the highest level not using this product. I would think that with their face angle being near perfect (comparably to us amateurs) and their swing speed being what it is, that this would be a product that would be absolutely perfect for almost every single tour player. Why is it not being used?

I think the problem here is simply the marketing. If you tell the masses this product, can help reduce sidespin by 40% thats a big claim that is hard to back up. Someone would have to be playing a shaft that is totally wrong for them to see results like that and have all their sidespin come from shaft deformation and not from swing path and face angle. While I do think this product can help some golfers, I think the majority of sidespin produced by the amatuer golfer is from swing path and face angle, so I fear there are going to be a lot of people who buy this $160 dollar product thinking it will fix their slice, only to find that it does nothing for them.

By the same token though some responsibility has to fall back on the consumers to do a little research on their own. New clubs make claims every day and people jump without looking only to be dissapointed, this is much of the same. I understand the claims point, but still i'm a big believer in do your homework (as a teacher that's funny to say, hehe) before going willy nilly and thinking something will be a fix all, most of us know there is NO fix all in this wonderful game.

By the same token though some responsibility has to fall back on the consumers to do a little research on their own. New clubs make claims every day and people jump without looking only to be dissapointed, this is much of the same. I understand the claims point, but still i'm a big believer in do your homework (as a teacher that's funny to say, hehe) before going willy nilly and thinking something will be a fix all, most of us know there is NO fix all in this wonderful game.

We both know that the average golfer does not do a lot of homework, and whereas a club can make a claim that might not be true, at least its still a club that you can hit. It might not be the longest club in the world like it says it is, but its still a golf club. If this doesn't work for you, you are left with a thin piece of graphite.

Back