Ping G20 Driver & Review Thread

Yea, I was bombing it (for me anyways) about 185 down the middle with a 12 degree on the R flex.

You're playing the exact same G10 as me, 12* R flex. The G20 just felt kind of flat to me. When I hit a good drive with my G10 I know it, with the G20 really didn't feel much difference between a good and a so-so shot

You're playing the exact same G10 as me, 12* R flex. The G20 just felt kind of flat to me. When I hit a good drive with my G10 I know it, with the G20 really didn't feel much difference between a good and a so-so shot

Actually my G10 is 13.5 degree with a R shaft. The G20 I hit the best was the 12 degree/R flex and if I purchase it, with the shaft cut an 1" off to 44". I hit the 10.5 OK but picked up 10 yds with the 12 degree. Ironically, last year, I was leaning towards the 910D2 adjusted to the C3 position and it was because I really didn't like the way the G15 felt.

That's funny because I play the G10 too and spent about an hour last Friday night hitting the G20 at Golf Galaxy and I loved the way it felt. It was weighted differently than the G10 (I brought my club in with me to compare) but not in a way that disturbed me. I also hit the R11, Adams Speedline 4G, Razr, and Cleveland SL290 and of all of them I felt I hit the G20 the best.

I'm really looking forward to your review Hanks as right now, I'm seriously leaning towards putting the G20 in my bag.

You'll have to let us know what you go with. I'm in the same boat as you. I also hit it much more constant and any other driver i tried.

Tapatalk... Loved by me hated by the wife.

Actually my G10 is 13.5 degree with a R shaft. The G20 I hit the best was the 12 degree/R flex and if I purchase it, with the shaft cut an 1" off to 44". I hit the 10.5 OK but picked up 10 yds with the 12 degree. Ironically, last year, I was leaning towards the 910D2 adjusted to the C3 position and it was because I really didn't like the way the G15 felt.

Mary you are so going to OEM this driver arent you? Id go the G20 route before the D2, IMO. I think this driver is more forgiving and will be easier to deal with a new shaft if you so chose down the road. No dumb tip needed.

Mary you are so going to OEM this driver arent you? Id go the G20 route before the D2, IMO. I think this driver is more forgiving and will be easier to deal with a new shaft if you so chose down the road. No dumb tip needed.

You got that right!! Already looking at shaft specs to put on this baby

The shaft was the ONLY thing that prevented from pulling my Amex out of my pocket on Friday.

I want to see what how Hanks testing comes back but JB's stats on forgiveness definitely leads me to think I'd be happier with the G20.

If you're going to pull the shaft out of it, just get it and hit it. If you end up liking the stock shaft great. if not then you already know it's going to be changed anyway and you've already begun the process of getting to know your new driver!

I took this out for a quick hitting range session last night before settling in to write a different review and wow! From the minimal swings (~10) I took with it I can really feel the difference between this and my current driver. the sound is different (more like a thuddy ping sound) and powerful sounding. My usual miss is off the toe but with this driver I didn't have that miss at all. everything was around the center of the clubface and when I missed, it was higher on the face but distance loss wasn't overly noticeable. Ball flight was straight as can be and had a nice mid-high flight that looked like it would have some run to it. The feeling is more of a stronger feel and I wonder if that's due to the wight being moved to the rear of the club vs. the heel of the club in the K15? The shaft is still 'ok' for me and my swing as the tip may be a tad soft but I think it will be fine for a lot of people. Either way I'm already pondering my next appointment with this stick

You got that right!! Already looking at shaft specs to put on this baby

The shaft was the ONLY thing that prevented from pulling my Amex out of my pocket on Friday.

I want to see what how Hanks testing comes back but JB's stats on forgiveness definitely leads me to think I'd be happier with the G20.

Nice initial thoughts hanks. I finally hit this club the other day and thought it seemed 'powerful' too. It makes this sound that just seems like you crushed the ball. When i Iooked at the face all the ball marks were dead center. I was still slicing a little but that's my hooters tour swing problem. Shaft didn't bother me but it's no matrix radix either.

Tapatalk: even Romosexuals use it

Powerful is a good word to describe the feeling with this driver. i liken it to crushing a baseball with an aluminum bat without the completely annoying 'ting' sound

That's funny because I play the G10 too and spent about an hour last Friday night hitting the G20 at Golf Galaxy and I loved the way it felt. It was weighted differently than the G10 (I brought my club in with me to compare) but not in a way that disturbed me. I also hit the R11, Adams Speedline 4G, Razr, and Cleveland SL290 and of all of them I felt I hit the G20 the best.

I'm really looking forward to your review Hanks as right now, I'm seriously leaning towards putting the G20 in my bag.

In what way did you find it was weighted differently?

In what way did you find it was weighted differently?

Like Hank's says above they've moved where the clubhead is weighted from the heel (the location in the G10, K15) to the back of the club head. I liked how it gave me a little "feedback" to take a pause at the top of my back swing and then come through. It was a physical reminder of "Slow and GO", the swing thought I keep in my head to keep my swing tempo smooth.

this is a great way to describe how this driver worked for me out the gate...next time I'm going to try and take some more aggressive swings with it to see if I get the same results

Like Hank's says above they've moved where the clubhead is weighted from the heel (the location in the G10, K15) to the back of the club head. I liked how it gave me a little "feedback" to take a pause at the top of my back swing and then come through. It was a physical reminder of "Slow and GO", the swing thought I keep in my head to keep my swing tempo smooth.

Great thoughts in here, I'm not normally a Ping guy, but I feel I need to take this driver for a spin. I don't think the stock shaft would be right for me based on what has been said, but I'm not against reshafting. Ping does need to step up their game with their stock shaft offerings I believe. Compared to a lot of other OEM's they are just not up to par.

Like what i hear so far! Can't wait to hear more about the accuracy. Hanks is your miss with the K15 a big ole hook?

It's actually a big ole block. My drives, no matter how good or bad I'm swinging, never go left.

Like what i hear so far! Can't wait to hear more about the accuracy. Hanks is your miss with the K15 a big ole hook?

So I was able to put this into play yesterday as well as some more range time this afternoon. I have to say that this club is quickly growing on me. The sound is unlike any other PING wood I've ever hit. More like a 'cracking thud' which is so unique that you have to hear it for yourself to believe it. I'll try to get some audio of it the next time I go to the range (Tues). You can really feel the club head throughout the swing but not in a cumbersome way at all. The face doesn't feel 'hot' but the ball seems to spring off the club face nicely because of the combo of the weighted shaft and the club head itself, almost like you're pounding the ball. I think the club head is easier to square than the K15 is and it certainly feels more powerful. At address it looks simple but powerful and immediately makes you want to swing it. Most of my drives so far have been in or near center of the club face which gives you a 'I crushed that' kind of feeling. I actually am starting to like the stock shaft a bit as this version of the TFC seems more user friendly. A little more 'stout' than last year's version that meshes well with the club but I still wish PING would get out of their fitting model and dip their toe into the upgraded stock shaft market.

So I was able to put this into play yesterday as well as some more range time this afternoon. I have to say that this club is quickly growing on me. The sound is unlike any other PING wood I've ever hit. More like a 'cracking thud' which is so unique that you have to hear it for yourself to believe it. I'll try to get some audio of it the next time I go to the range (Tues). You can really feel the club head throughout the swing but not in a cumbersome way at all. The face doesn't feel 'hot' but the ball seems to spring off the club face nicely because of the combo of the weighted shaft and the club head itself, almost like you're pounding the ball. I think the club head is easier to square than the K15 is and it certainly feels more powerful. At address it looks simple but powerful and immediately makes you want to swing it. Most of my drives so far have been in or near center of the club face which gives you a 'I crushed that' kind of feeling. I actually am starting to like the stock shaft a bit as this version of the TFC seems more user friendly. A little more 'stout' than last year's version that meshes well with the club but I still wish PING would get out of their fitting model and dip their toe into the upgraded stock shaft market.

Hank what do you figure on increased distance G20 vs K15 driver? How about your fade, more or less than the K15?

I swing the K15 as you might see in my sig.

Thanks

Glad to hear you are liking this so far, Hanks. I'm definitely interested in hearing the sound at impact.

I put thins club in play Saturday while the Hawk is in timeout and came away with much the same thoughts as Hanks. I didnt hit every fairway of course but I really enjoyed this club. Compared to the Razr Hawk the sweet spot seems huge and hard to miss. I was seeing a power fade all day that was completely playable and predictable. My miss was a pull not once did I see the weak slice that was plaguing me the weeks before. And the sound is just awesome. I didnt have my GPS charged so I didnt get distances but I remember one hole that I got one good. Par 4 360 yards, hit the G20 real good and had 105 left. Stock shaft held up really well too. Seems matched well to the head and worked for my swing too.

You guys are making me want to try this. I didn't love the K15, but this sounds like it might be a good mix of it's good qualities and the G15's good qualities.

You guys are making me want to try this. I didn't love the K15, but this sounds like it might be a good mix of it's good qualities and the G15's good qualities.

I liked the K15 but I like the G20 even more. And I think thats a pretty good description too. Like they took the G15 and K15 and mixed all the goodness together.

I'd say it's more but not exactly sure how much. I'd guess a 5-7 yd difference? My block miss isn't as exaggerated with the G20 vs the K15 which the G20 turns into a useable fade. I guess I fade the ball less but if I do it's more playable if that makes sense?

Hank what do you figure on increased distance G20 vs K15 driver? How about your fade, more or less than the K15?

I swing the K15 as you might see in my sig.

Thanks

I think you should check it out man....this may be a PING that doesn't require a perfect swing to gain some distance with . the sweet spot is huge like the K15 but the weighting feels better to me

Spent some quality time with the G20 at the range today and since some of you have reached out to me asking G20 vs K15 comparison questions I brought out the K15 as well for some play time.

But first the G20 information. I'm officially in a driver conundrum. The more I swing this the more I get comfortable with it. After a few Jake-straight shots I settled into a nice rhythm with the G20. I'm finding that this drive is fairly forgiving (more so than I expected) and that it offers a lot of feedback to you. I think it's forgiving enough with minimal distance loss off the toe but if you hit this towards the heel that's where I was finding some noticeable distance loss. The ball flight is really something you need to see for yourself. On crushed shots the ball flight is exactly mid-high and very penetrating. This ball flight could cut through some stiff wind or ride it depending on which way the wind is blowing. The sound is a very powerful sound that makes you want to keep hitting it over and over again. Tonight I noticed that my block misses tended to leak more to the right than I previously saw so my misses were definitely more noticeable this time around. This may be me getting used to the shaft which is a good 1/2 inch longer or so than the Miyazaki in the K15.

Ok comparison time....These drivers are similarly different if that makes sense. The club head shape is more appealing to my with the G20, the face feels 'thicker' and hotter, and it feels slightly heavier . The latter is I suspect from a combo of the the stock shaft (heavier than the after-market shaft in the K15) as well as a slightly heavier club head. At least to me anyway. The sound between the two is distinctly different which you'll hear in some videos I'll post later. The G20 sounds more powerful and makes the K15 sound almost 'tingy' which it definitely isn't when you hit it by itself. The ball flight of the K15 is certainly higher than the G20 but my misses tonight were more controlled with the K15. Shorter shaft? TBD....

Here's some pics from tonight....

G20 on the left
73f0fe52.jpg

G20 on the left
062b5f6e.jpg

G20 on the left
3f31aeaf.jpg

G20 on top
8b0ef250.jpg

I'm dying to hit this driver outside. Great comparo pics Hanks.

Stock shaft vs. Stock shaft, which offers the lower launch? G20 or K15?

Good stuff Hanks. Love the info there.

I don't have the stock in the K15 but going off memory from when it was in there the lower launch goes to the G20. Granted the loft on the G20 is different than the K15 (9.5 vs. 10.5) but even with the non-apples to apples comparison the launch is lower with the G20

I'm dying to hit this driver outside. Great comparo pics Hanks.

Stock shaft vs. Stock shaft, which offers the lower launch? G20 or K15?

Back