TaylorMade Burner 2.0 Irons - Forum Testing Review

I got out on the course Sunday late, and forgot my FLIP. I really wish I would have had it because I had a bunker shot that would have been a perfect follow up to the other videos I posted. Instead, I will describe it for you. The bunker was so deep that I not only could not see the green, but I could not see the flag. I had about 5 feet between my ball and the wall of sand leading to the lip, so I had to get it up fast, but then had 25-30 feet of green to get to the pin. I took a nice full swing, and popped that ball up and out. I ran out the side of the bunker up on to the apron in time to see it spin and stop about 6 feet short of the pin. I was playing with Chunky, and 2 other people we had never met, and one of them asked if he could get a video on how to do that. I said sure, just go to thehackersparadise.com and check out this thread. Don't know if he will, but it was really fitting based on my last video.

Could have sworn I heard a thump and then a hand throw a ball on to the green. Just saying!:alien:

Hahaha. It was a great shot. Sand flies. Ball comes out of nowhere. Anthony running to see what happened. It was almost as good as my shots. The man was asking Yorkem for lessons though I can say that. Yorkem is hitting the ball a ton better than the last time I played with him. The Burners are working for him. I'm going to have to practice harder to stay ahead of him:arrogant:

Guys, sorry if I missed this during my skim: Are you guys noticing any particular type of miss? Push/Pull, unexpected draw, etc.? I love the recent videos and good update detail you guys are giving.

Guys, sorry if I missed this during my skim: Are you guys noticing any particular type of miss? Push/Pull, unexpected draw, etc.? I love the recent videos and good update detail you guys are giving.

I am not seeing a consistent left/right miss, more distance misses. Early on I had a case of the pulls, but that was more swing related. Also I have had a fade going with my 4, 5 irons, but that is also a swing issue. They have been corrected quickly and I have been pretty accurate since. The distance issues arent too bad, but I tend to bomb a monster flier on occasion. The face on the Burner 2.0 is so hot that when struck absolutely purely and you compress the ball just right, the ball goes forever. I have hit the 6 iron over 220 (normal 200-205)and the 9 iron 165 (normal 150) as examples.

I really, really love the feedback and all the videos in this thread. The irons just saw like killers and have a real nice crisp sound to them. Loving all of your guys hardwork.

I am not seeing anykind of unusual miss. When I miss with my current CG Gold Irons it is an off the toe miss. When I miss with the Burner 2 irons, it is also an off the toe miss. I do miss less with the Burner 2.0s as they get more distance off misses than my current irons. I also have a fat miss on full shots when missing with my Vokey wedges. I see less fat shots with the Burner 2 AW & SW (I went out and bought the AW to fill the gap). I havent been able to find the bounce angles of the 2 Burner 2 wedges, but that probably plays a role as well.

Honestly, these are ridiculously straight. Sure, you can do some things to work the ball left or right, but I am not seeing anything unexpected. That probably has a lot to do with the design, as well as getting fit, and I believe anyone that goes through a proper fitting for these clubs, including a shaft fitting, will have the same incredible results we have all been seeing.

I really, really love the feedback and all the videos in this thread. The irons just saw like killers and have a real nice crisp sound to them. Loving all of your guys hardwork.

Thanks buddy. If there is anything you would like to see, or know, don't hesitate to ask, and I am sure we will all jump on it right away. (this goes for everyone, not just TMex)

I'm not missing much, but when I do, it tends to be a pull. But usually no more than 10 yards. I haven't faded or hooked since I started trusting the lie angle of my clubs.

Played 18 at a CC I had never played before. Rainier Golf and CC in South Seattle is an old school course (1920) with very small greens and tight, tree lined fairways. It plays to 6400 yards from the tips with a 131 slope.

http://www.rainiergolfcc.com/Default.aspx?p=DynamicModule&pageid=245516&ssid=101524&vnf=1

The cool part about CC golf is that the conditions are near perfect. Fast greens, manicured fairways, thick rough. Ended up shooting 84 (41,43), mostly because my driver failed me. Hit 3 of 8 fairways with the R11 Driver with some bad misses and put it away! Hit 3 of 4 fairways with the R11 3 wood, also hit hybrid into the rough and hit 5 iron off the tee into the fairway. My point with this is: to play like that off the tee (7 of 15 fairways) and still save an 84 shows how well I hit the Burner 2.0's. I hit punch shots out of the trees with my 4 and 5 irons, had to go over some fairly tall trees with the 9, and even turned over a 7 iron to hook it around a tree. Now, 84 is not a good round for me, but considering how bad I was off the tee, I walked away fairly satisfied especially with my iron play.

I brought my camera and shot some video so here are the highlights:

This was the best shot of my round. 8 iron from 165 yards to 7 feet. The sound here is awesome. Near perfect contact, good aggressive swing. Missed the birdie putt. PAR

This is a 6 iron approach from 195 slightly uphill out of the rough on the 2nd toughest hole on the course. As you can see I have a slight above my feet lie. I choked up a little and made a good swing. The sound is pretty awesome on this one and you can really hear what good contact out of heavy rough with the 2.0's sounds like. Obviously a little more muffled than off the tee because all of the turf interaction here, but still a great sound. Ball ended up on the fringe about 20 feet from the cup. The green was tiny, so I was very happy with the result. PAR

Here is a 5 iron off the tee from 202 uphill about 12 feet (probably playing 210+). Sucker pin buried behind a bunker so I am aiming middle of green. Ball landed on an upslope about 10 feet onto the green and spun back to the fringe. Another PAR.

Again, a rough day off the tee was somewhat saved by my irons. The 2.0's are workable, long and forgiving. I turned a 7 iron around a tree about 30 feet and ended up about 20 feet short of the green. It was a fun shot to watch, but proof that you can work these game improvement irons if needed. Didn't get up and down so I bogeyed, but double or even triple was in play if I don't execute that shot. Hit a 9 iron blind over about a 50 foot tall tree from about 150ish onto the green to save a par. I can hit these high when needed! Hit a punch shot from under a tree with the 4 iron through a Tiger/Phil style window. It was basically a field goal through 2 trees with thick branches starting about 10 feet off the gound. Had to keep the ball down, yet needed to advance the ball at least 100 yards to have a chance for par. I did better, got about 125 out of it, middle of fairway. It was a great out! Bogey (because I missed a 10 footer for par), but double or more was a big possibility from where I was in the trees.

I still contend that the Burner 2.0's are the best set of irons I have ever owned. A great combo of length, forgiveness and workability. They are much better than my R9's in all of those categories, and my R9's are now for sale. Not to say the R9's are bad, I loved them! To be honest, I was very skeptical that the 2.0's would stack up to the R9's when this process started, but they have outperformed them without a doubt. Are these irons for everyone? No. But can anyone from say scratch-30 HC play them... oh yeah! My instructor (+2 HC) has been playing them because he needs length and he really likes them. The technology is such (for the low HC'ers) that if you dont mind the slightly larger head, you can almost play these like a players iron. I am sure they are not quite as workable as the players irons, but they are for sure adequete! And they are without a doubt great irons for the mid to high HC'ers!

Nice review tomahawk! You have a very quick swing that works beautifully from what I've seen. 195 from the rough with a 6I is beast.

I completely agree with you about the workability of the 2.0's. I use my 7I for most punch shots and have drawn it like you, 30 yards left. If that's not a statement of the ability to work these irons then I don't know what is.

Nice review TH, and I will say it again, that is a nice looking course. Even the rough looked nice. Really crisp sounding shots there too. Good job TH.

I'm loving the write ups for these irons. It just solidifies how good the 2.0's are and the results they can give players over a wide range of skill.

I cannot see the videos right now but I absolutely love all the feedback. I like how you're using this clubs for a variety of shots and nothing really seems to be tough (minus some wedges shots for some at times).

It looks like we will get a rain break in the next few days here in OH. My plan is to focus on the long irons (4 & 5) and put them head to head with my Mashie M3 and CG Gold long irons. My typical miss with the M3 and the CG Golds is a hook, so I'll be interested to see if the Burner 2 long irons can help keep my shots on the map more often.

Nice review tomahawk! You have a very quick swing that works beautifully from what I've seen. 195 from the rough with a 6I is beast.

I completely agree with you about the workability of the 2.0's. I use my 7I for most punch shots and have drawn it like you, 30 yards left. If that's not a statement of the ability to work these irons then I don't know what is.

Nice review TH, and I will say it again, that is a nice looking course. Even the rough looked nice. Really crisp sounding shots there too. Good job TH.

I'm loving the write ups for these irons. It just solidifies how good the 2.0's are and the results they can give players over a wide range of skill.

I cannot see the videos right now but I absolutely love all the feedback. I like how you're using this clubs for a variety of shots and nothing really seems to be tough (minus some wedges shots for some at times).

Thanks all. It is a little uncomfortable to post video of my swings. HAHA!

I am learning so much from the testing process, from you guys (other testers and members), and just paying more attention to how the 2.0's perform, than I ever would have if I just bought them and played. I think overall this testing process will help my game in the long run and the equipment knowledge I am gaining not only from personally testing, but reading other reviews in THP is awesome! I have people asking my opinions on certain clubs because since joining THP, I am willing to try any club or OEM and know so much from reading others' reviews. I am turning into a golf equipment junkie!

Last edited:

Any miss I have is usually a slight pull, and that is all swing related.

Quick update:

We had league night again last night and again the rules were only 3 clubs allowed. This time I decided to bring the 7I, 50* and a putter.

Simply put.....the 7I was magic. Every single shot I hit with it was perfectly straight and between 175-180 that stopped with 1 hop. I am so happy with my iron game right now. It is unbelievably consistent.

I shot a 41 last night with 3 3 putts. That just shows how good my iron play was. Where I lost strokes was my approach shots (normally the 50*) and putting. I hit 5/9 GIR and had a total of 19 putts but hit 7/7 fairways with the 7I.

Since this was 3 clubs only, I was able to take a few "specialty" shots with the 7I. Those were shots from the 150 range where I had to choke up and take a bit softer of a swing. I made good contact with the ball and it landed each time right at the distance of 150.

Quick update:

We had league night again last night and again the rules were only 3 clubs allowed. This time I decided to bring the 7I, 50* and a putter.

Simply put.....the 7I was magic. Every single shot I hit with it was perfectly straight and between 175-180 that stopped with 1 hop. I am so happy with my iron game right now. It is unbelievably consistent.

I shot a 41 last night with 3 3 putts. That just shows how good my iron play was. Where I lost strokes was my approach shots (normally the 50*) and putting. I hit 5/9 GIR and had a total of 19 putts but hit 7/7 fairways with the 7I.

Since this was 3 clubs only, I was able to take a few "specialty" shots with the 7I. Those were shots from the 150 range where I had to choke up and take a bit softer of a swing. I made good contact with the ball and it landed each time right at the distance of 150.

Sounds like a good night with the 2.0's jef! I have seemed to struggle a bit with choke down shots with the 2.0's, they seem to leak right on me. I think that I am guilty of just being a little lazy through impact because I don't practice those type shots alot. Glad to see they work for you!

Sounds like a good night with the 2.0's jef! I have seemed to struggle a bit with choke down shots with the 2.0's, they seem to leak right on me. I think that I am guilty of just being a little lazy through impact because I don't practice those type shots alot. Glad to see they work for you!

I felt like I was just gushing on the 2.0's when writing that up but they are worth it. It was probably the best ball striking night I have ever had.

Here's a question for the better players testing or currently gaming the Burner 2.0s. How interested are you in the R11s or the TPs? What do the Burner 2s lack that you hope to see in the newer TM irons? I am a mid handicapper so the only thing I would improve on so far is to swap the 4 iron for a hybrid.

Here's a question for the better players testing or currently gaming the Burner 2.0s. How interested are you in the R11s or the TPs? What do the Burner 2s lack that you hope to see in the newer TM irons?

I got the R11's in my hand last weekend for the first time. Didn't hit them, but let me tell you, they are sexy! I really like the look of the R11's at address. Smaller, more players iron like head, thinner top line, and they look better in person than they do in pics. I am always interested in new stuff, but the 2.0's are going to be tough to beat. I will reserve any judgement until I hit the R11's. But for now, the 2.0's are SOLIDLY entrenched in my bag, and they will not give up that status easily!

Nice videos man!

I like my 2.0's a lot, although I do need to get some new grips put on them.

I'm pondering putting a 3I 2.0 in the bag. Anyone have a burner 3I and wants to share their opinion on the club?

Back