Par 5 - 205 Out - Go For It?

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Here is the scenario. You hit a a great drive down the middle of a par 5 and are left with about 205 left to the front of the green. The issue is that there is a water hazard in front of the green that also surrounds the sides. Do you go for it or lay it up to a number you are comfortable with and work from there?

lay up...hands down!

Edit: but, your title yardage and scenario yardage are different. 205to the front, I would go for it. 215 to the front NO WAY

Lay it up to 85 yards and full swing w/60* for me.

I'd more than likely lay up. I'm most comfortable with my game from from 100 yards and in so I'd hope a solid iron would leave me with a simple pitch and a putt for birdie. I've been trying to focus more on course management this year and I think I'd succeed more time by laying up than I would by going for it. Basically, I'd rather take the potential double or triple bogey out of the equation and instead go for a manageable birdie attempt or a comfortable par.

205 out, I'm going for it these days. Trouble or not. Especially with the hybrid I have in the bag right now. Well, truthfully, it depends on the conditions. Is it ideal (no wind)?

It would depend, for me. Most days, lay up, no question. I am just not very good off the deck with my 3 wood and I would have to pelt my hybrid to get it that far. If I am playing well though, I might just take the 3 hybrid and swing for the fences.

Whats the water carry or is the full carry 215? Either way I'm probably going for it. I can get my hybrid that distance pretty comfortably or i'm screaming a 3 wood to the back edge. Going for it all the way, besides if pluck one in i can drop and get up and down for par. Enough reward for the risk.

• Admin
lay up...hands down!

Edit: but, your title yardage and scenario yardage are different. 205to the front, I would go for it. 215 to the front NO WAY

Thanks. It was supposed to say 205 on both. I will fix it now.

Since the water surrounds all sides I lay up. I am normally comfortable with the 215 distance but with trouble completely surrounding the hole it would be much smarter to lay up to 100 and hopefully stick a PW close.

Gotta agree with Steel, Doug, and One-T--- lay up a good hybrid gets me there but not worth a bogey or worse.

Thanks. It was supposed to say 205 on both. I will fix it now.

then yes, I would go for it. Thats a number I should be able to hit it to.

Going for it.

If I am feeling good that day, then I would go for it like TC with my hybrid. If it is a scrambling kind of day then I would lay up and have a nice easy wedge into the green.

That could go either way for me. IF the green is fairly deep and there is no trouble behind the green I will probably choke down on my hybrid and go for it. If there wasn't water on both sides of the green I might could take my 4i, but that would be a pretty solid thwack to comfortably carry 205 yards, and I'm not comfortable I could keep it straight.

I'm laying up 9 times out of 10. See my HOTD vid with Golf4life to know why. LOL.

It's a 6 iron, so I'd go for it every day of the week. If I miss in the water, get up and down to save par. My length is my biggest advantage, so I always press hard on the par 5's.

230+ would make me think about it.

The way my game has been lately I would definitely lay up to a number.

Depends on where I'm at in my round and how I'm playing.

80% of the time though I lay up to about 80-85 yards and to the best area/angle for a third shot in.

Go for it - 3 hybrid all the way.

Depends on conditions + whats to the left/right of the green. The distance isnt my concern here, it's how far left/right will my miss be and how hard will it for me to get up and down?

Typically, I am laying up here, to give myself a comfortable 3rd shot in to the green.

I'd give it a whirl most everytime as long as there isn't a wind over 20mph.

It's a 6 iron, so I'd go for it every day of the week. If I miss in the water, get up and down to save par. My length is my biggest advantage, so I always press hard on the par 5's.

230+ would make me think about it.

Wait, whaaaaa?

Not a tournament round I go for it, if in a tournament and doing well maybe still go for it, if I am struggling in a tournament lay up.

Wait, whaaaaa?

Hahahahaha, that's what I was thinking too. I feel like a weakling! My 6i would be middle of the pond!

Back