Adams a12 OS Irons Review Thread - Forum Testing

Wow.... y'all have been really busy squeezing in some playing and range time with your shiny new Adams Stiks...!! Great writeups by all the testers so far, and I really like the video's as well. fwiw.. I love fried chicken too!!

I was wondering if anyone has tried hitting some punch or knockdown type shots, and how did the clubs work out for those types of shots? Also, has anyone tried chipping with the hybrids?

Looking forward to hearing more of your expeirences with these new clubs, and keep up the good work!

Hongman! I did hit a punch 7i out of some nasty stuff at Grand Cypress. I put the ball back in my stance and let it go. I needed to lay up after a horrendous drive and the punch shot was a breeze to perform. It went straight and low.

Its nice to get to catch up on all of this daily. You guys (and gal!) are doing a great job so far. I love my hybrids but I really want to go somewhere and hit these.

Its nice to get to catch up on all of this daily. You guys (and gal!) are doing a great job so far. I love my hybrids but I really want to go somewhere and hit these.

I think you would really appreciate these JMan. Ultra forgiving with a nice crack. I really loved having the same shafts throughout the set. Seemed to provide a level of consistancy that I didn't know I was missing.

Yoccos,

Sounds like you are really liking these a lot. Are the RAZR X's in danger of being knocked out of the bag? That would be a really strong statement.

I think you would really appreciate these JMan. Ultra forgiving with a nice crack. I really loved having the same shafts throughout the set. Seemed to provide a level of consistancy that I didn't know I was missing.

I am a sucker for that almost persimmon like crack some clubs put off (ala the 1st Wilson Fybrid)

Wow, it took me forever to catch up here, but well worth it. You all are doing a fantastic job of showing the world what these new clubs are all about. KB, I really have to send kudo's to you for taking the camera out to the UPS truck, haha, that was great.

A special thanks out to Morgan for checking on mine, she say's they are marked as out for delivery :clapp:, very cool. Driving back from Iowa yesterday I got a call from a buddy who wanted to play, so I swung by the house to check if any box's were in front first, then went on to the course. I MUST say here that these new Adam's may have a fight on their hands, I was on fire with my old Nickents. My over all score was pretty average, but the driver was hot and cold. Twice I pulled a 6i out commenting that it likely would not get there against the wind, but my 5i has been pretty inconsistent lately. Both times they were long and straight, sticking within a few feet of the pin. I only point this out to show what the Adam's will be compared to and if they can keep me on line like that I will be an extremely happy camper.

I have the front shades open so I can post here and watch for that little brown truck, haha. To those at the Adam's company, it's sounding like you all have come up with something very special here, I simply can't wait to get my hands on these jewels.

KB, I dont think its the hybrid, I think you just put a better swing on the second ball, It appears to me like you just got "a little" quick in the first one and pulled it a hair. the top screen shot is the first ball and the bottom is the 2nd. Again, just looks like a very very slight pull

KB1.png

KB2.png

Yoccos,

Sounds like you are really liking these a lot. Are the RAZR X's in danger of being knocked out of the bag? That would be a really strong statement.

That's really hard to say right now this early.. But they are making a strong statement with their forgiveness, accuracy and ballflight. Ill definitely do a heads on comparison at some point but the irons share some characteristics (distance, shot shape) and just differ in others (shape, sound/feel). My Razr X's I have a 3h,4h,5h then 6i-AW. Definitely going to be a good heads up at some point.

I am a sucker for that almost persimmon like crack some clubs put off (ala the 1st Wilson Fybrid)

It's great man. I went from a Mashie (more of a crack) to a Razr X Hybrid (more metal) back to the Adams. Really unique.

There have been some really quality writeups so far in this thread. Keep up the good work.

Yeah, I'm not an internet golfer by any stretch of the imagination. I think I am definitely going to be longer with these clubs since they are much more forgiving than my current set. The ball just flies off the face of these things which I'm liking.

Thanks, man! Hopefully I didn't lull you to sleep by "Hole 1". Hehe.

Nice writeup Spanks! Thanks for input.

KB, I dont think its the hybrid, I think you just put a better swing on the second ball, It appears to me like you just got "a little" quick in the first one and pulled it a hair. the top screen shot is the first ball and the bottom is the 2nd. Again, just looks like a very very slight pull

KB1.png

KB2.png

I pull on this hole all the time. I had a lesson last week and my instructor told me the same thing. We worked on tempo. He said the reason I pull is because I get too quick. You're good! ;)

Some great stuff in here so far! Well done testers! These clubs have got me pondering... I played the a3OS clubs for a season and were quite fond of them. I loved the hybrid irons which were the 6-8. The hybrids were pretty hit and miss for me. I could never really put a good swing on them. But the 6-8 were money for me. I'm wondering how these new hybrids are and if they'd be better for me. Hmmm..... pondering. Keep up the good work testers!

I pull on this hole all the time. I had a lesson last week and my instructor told me the same thing. We worked on tempo. He said the reason I pull is because I get too quick. You're good! ;)

hey....I have a little more knowledge than people thought

Some great stuff in here so far! Well done testers! These clubs have got me pondering... I played the a3OS clubs for a season and were quite fond of them. I loved the hybrid irons which were the 6-8. The hybrids were pretty hit and miss for me. I could never really put a good swing on them. But the 6-8 were money for me. I'm wondering how these new hybrids are and if they'd be better for me. Hmmm..... pondering. Keep up the good work testers!

What types of misses did you see with the hybrids? I hope I'm not sounding like a broken record but I'm really looking forward to seeing how having the same shaft throughout the set plays out. I think it could lend to consistancy with the shots/feel throughout the swing even when going from hybrid to an iron. Could really help with the transition and those that may struggle with it.

Got out on our #9 green today and did a little chipping using my PW. I first chipped from an area with good grass and really loved the way the club performed. It was super easy to use and I felt totally confident with it.

I found an area with hardly no grass to see how the club performed. I was being lazy at first and hit behind the ball a couple times which resulted in bad shots. Once I focused on being sure to hit the ball first, I hit some great chips. I hit 6 more and hit all those great so 2 misses out of 12 once I got my FOCUS on!

I also practiced chipping with my 6 hybrid a bit today. It was super easy! I usually don't chip with a hybrid but I think I would like to practice that shot more often as it might be a clutch shot on some of the longer chips. I was really accurate with my line on those chips but my distance was usually a little short or a little too long. Nothing practice wouldn't correct. I did take a picture of the bottom of the hybrid's velocity slot afterwards. It was full of grass. Will post that picture later since I don't have access to a camera reader right now. It takes a little more effort to clean than normal but I think that problem is more of a problem when the grass is wet like it was this morning.

Here are a couple videos I did while chipping today. Yes, I had on flip flops. I will put my golf shoes on later!

Last edited:
Cant wait to see these later when I can finally view videos KB. Since I really can't see them now, how did the PW perform out of the tighter lies?

What types of misses did you see with the hybrids? I hope I'm not sounding like a broken record but I'm really looking forward to seeing how having the same shaft throughout the set plays out. I think it could lend to consistancy with the shots/feel throughout the swing even when going from hybrid to an iron. Could really help with the transition and those that may struggle with it.

At the time, I beleive it was a pretty big slice that got worse as club length went up. Meaning the 5 was not as bad as the 3. Shafts in the hybrids were the Grafalloy ProLaunch Platinum if I remember correctly. Steel shafts in the rest.

I'm very interested in your findings Marc. I've been thinking of graphite shafts in the irons for a little while now and would be very interested to see how the progression works from hybrid to hybrid iron to iron.

Great job KB, all but two a little fat looks really solid. Great job!

edit: can't wait to see the pictures of the amount of grass build up.

Thanks for the chipping vids, Kelly. Would have loved to have seen the results of the 6H as a chipper!

Great pics and videos so far. I have always been interested in an Adams set, so I will be glued to this thread.

Great job KB, all but two a little fat looks really solid. Great job!

edit: can't wait to see the pictures of the amount of grass build up.

Thanks Duey. It's so easy to miss on hardpan but once I focused on hitting the ball first, nothing to it!

Thanks for the chipping vids, Kelly. Would have loved to have seen the results of the 6H as a chipper!

It got a little busy around here and the videos take forever to load on this slow computer at work. I'll get one for you and upload it later. I get off at 2:00 pm and plan to be on the course this afternoon.

Cant wait to see these later when I can finally view videos KB. Since I really can't see them now, how did the PW perform out of the tighter lies?

It performed very well once I started hitting the ball first. I hit 10 out of 12 really well. It's pretty typical of me to hit behind the ball sometimes.

Great stuff Kelly, you guys have me really interested in these hybrids.

Ya'll are doing a great job so far, keep it up! Glad to see Adams kept the hybrids sounding like thier previous releases, something I've always enjoyed with them. Even Ole Gray got in on the fun, of course someone has to get him to put away the cobra hat.

Kelly, in your short time with them have you found anything different using them around the green for those shots like you video'd compared to your Pings? Especialy regarding the soles.

Ya'll are doing a great job so far, keep it up! Glad to see Adams kept the hybrids sounding like thier previous releases, something I've always enjoyed with them. Even Ole Gray got in on the fun, of course someone has to get him to put away the cobra hat.

Kelly, in your short time with them have you found anything different using them around the green for those shots like you video'd compared to your Pings? Especialy regarding the soles.

My Pings have thick soles too so I don't see much difference. I have been loving my Pings lately and it was hard to take them out of the bag. I'm going to play the Adams exclusively for at least two months to give them a good review. I recently bought Cleveland CG16 50, 54, and 58 wedges because I felt like I would do better with the thinner soles around the greens and in the traps. The gap wedge in this set will replace my 50* for now so time will tell which one I like best. I did chip with the GW a few times today and it performed well.

Great write ups so far everyone! I really loved KB's video and even better yet, her other video's....LOL. I loved OG in the pink hat, but I had to keep the sound low because I'm at work and I didn't want anyone else here in the office to think I was looking at something wrong given the great talk OG was giving. Very good stuff. Made me smile for the first time today! I'll replay the video(s) when I get home this evening.

Keep up the great reviews everyone! I like this set a lot.

Back