Which would you play?

Jman

Golf Scrivener
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
Alright, I'm curious, theoretically here which would you play? Why or why not?

Club 1: 31* loft, 37", minimal offset, smaller profile - Carries 175 yards for you
Club 2: 34* loft, 36.75", minimal offset, smaller profile - Carries 165 yards for you

Details: Club 1 launches HIGHER than Club 2, with a higher apex, and lower spin as well. Lets say for this that the lateral retention of ball-speed is the same on both clubs.

Which would you play?

I would play club 1 given that loft # doesn't matter to me.

Of course, I'm assuming that I get similar turf interaction and forgiveness between the two.

Oh my goodness club 1 and its not even close. Higher launch and more carry.

Club 1 without question. Granted I'd be getting either iron cut to length and adjusted anyway, club 2 is launching lower and spinning more. Club 1 sounds like a lot of fun.

Club 1. Extra carry and higher launch. Sign me up.

Is this a trick question? Club 1, all day, every day.

Launch and carry plz. Club 1.

• Staff
I would play club 1 given that loft # doesn't matter to me.

Of course, I'm assuming that I get similar turf interaction and forgiveness between the two.

Yep, for this lets say all things are equal outside of what is stated.

Club 1. If I've learned anything over the last two years it's that loft isn't as important as launch and carry.

What about lateral dispersion? Are they similar? For my answer I will assume they are.

Given a choice I prefer a shorter shaft. But higher spin could lead to issues in the wind.

Loft doesn't matter to me, so all things considered I would choose #1 - assuming I can control both clubs equally.

Anxious to see the asterisk tied to club one..clearly there is a factor with it that hasn't been mentioned yet. Wondering if it is really ugly, really old, has a bad reputation or what the deal is.

Even if it is an ugly relic that everybody hates I am playing #1 based on Jmans description

Yep, for this lets say all things are equal outside of what is stated.

What about lateral dispersion? Are they similar? For my answer I will assume they are.

Given a choice I prefer a shorter shaft. But higher spin could lead to issues in the wind.

Loft doesn't matter to me, so all things considered I would choose #1 - assuming I can control both clubs equally.

See above. Also, I mentioned lateral retention being the same.

easily club 1. why not take a higher launch and more distance.

Anxious to see the asterisk tied to club one..clearly there is a factor with it that hasn't been mentioned yet. Wondering if it is really ugly, really old, has a bad reputation or what the deal is.

Even if it is an ugly relic that everybody hates I am playing #1 based on Jmans description

Doesnt have to be. Take the Callaway Apex vs similar Bridgestone DPC. Based on the distance thread with so many saying they dont want distance because it will ruin their gapping.

Can I sell both for a swing that lets me hit a 31* club 175 yards? My 10.5* one doesn't always carry that far.

Im taking option 1 and running!!

A little sanding, a little paint fill. You can make ugly and old look shiny, beautiful and new.

Alright, I'm curious, theoretically here which would you play? Why or why not?

Club 1: 31* loft, 37", minimal offset, smaller profile - Carries 175 yards for you
Club 2: 34* loft, 36.75", minimal offset, smaller profile - Carries 165 yards for you

Details: Club 1 launches HIGHER than Club 2, with a higher apex, and lower spin as well. Lets say for this that the lateral retention of ball-speed is the same on both clubs.

Anything that launches higher is a winner for me. I honestly couldnt tell you what the lofts on my clubs are up until my wedges. Makes no difference to me.

Club #1. I can always fit for length, but I can't adjust club #2 for launch characteristics.

I'm going to be different and pick Club #2.

No, not really, Club #1 for me as well.

I'd go with Club 1, distance wins.

Club #1. More distance, higher flight? Yes, please!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I have a feeling that this is a way of letting people know that they should be playing more hybrids in their bag. Those are the specs off of a 7 hybrid and a 7 iron.

I have a feeling that this is a way of letting people know that they should be playing more hybrids in their bag. Those are the specs off of a 7 hybrid and a 7 iron.
Both irons. No stated numbers on them though .

Back