Played with a 15 year old Jr. Amateur Champion

2Shoes

Supports Team Hackers!
Reaction score
Handicap
Par 4's!
Well...probably not the best thread title, but....

Played with this kid who recently won the South Texas Jr. PGA Amateur tournament. He played from the tips (while us older gentlemen played from the blues). He's a thin little lefty playing with an R11 driver which if stood on toe would be longer than he is. I can, when the long stick cooperates send them 300+. I simply crush my drive (from the blues). We get down the fairway and I proceed to the furthest ball only to find it's a Srixon not the Pro-V1 I sent soaring. The kid makes the extra 10 yard stroll and I have to give the old "just making sure you had a shot from here..ha ha" line as this little guy split the fairway like a scientist.

Made it a very long day for us, but GREAT fun to watch a kid, who only started playing when he was 13 (per his grandfather), play a really solid round. Not so great watching him thump us....hole....after hole................after hole.

P.S. He was, in fact, wearing a Fowler type "get up" on...go figure!

Played with this kid who recently won the South Texas Jr. PGA Amateur tournament. He played from the tips (while us older gentlemen played from the blues). He's a thin little lefty playing with an R11 driver which if stood on toe would be longer than he is. I can, when the long stick cooperates send them 300+. I simply crush my drive (from the blues). We get down the fairway and I proceed to the furthest ball only to find it's a Srixon not the Pro-V1 I sent soaring. The kid makes the extra 10 yard stroll and I have to give the old "just making sure you had a shot from here..ha ha" line as this little guy split the fairway like a scientist.

Made it a very long day for us, but GREAT fun to watch a kid, who only started playing when he was 13 (per his grandfather), play a really solid round. Not so great watching him thump us....hole....after hole................after hole.

I love watching good people play golf. I've been destroyed by a 70 yr old man shooting under par from the blues before.

Sounds like a fun round. I enjoy playing with good golfers where you are in awe half the time. You can watch them especially around the greens and learn some stuff!

Sounds like a fun round. Have always enjoyed watching someone play great golf when I am playing with them. I use to take weekly beatings from my grandfather (who is 92 and still plays), if he was inside 100 yards, he only needed 2 shots, watching his shortgame even when he was in his 80's was a thing of beauty.

There is a junior golfer from the Dominican Republic that is one of the top juniors there and his family somehow knows the owner of the course I play at. He comes and stays for a month every summer and my brother works at the course too so we get to go out and play with him a lot. He has had lessons from Leadbetter and Pelz, and he is amazing. I always have a good time watching him play and he always helps me with my game.

Best part of the story :D hehehe I love playing with younger people.

Always great to play with good players, no matter how old.

This is an awesome story!

I got the chance to play with a kid whose father had been either the pro or assitant at Merion for a while. The kid was pretty good, won a couple tourneys shooting around par.

haha!!!

i played an older guy in a team match earlier on in the year and he had me sweating like mad.he was -1 through 9 holes but thankfully he fell apart and made mistakes,i managed to hold him off and win 2 & 1.that was tough!

Good story, I would love to play with someone that good, I imagine you could learn a lot just watching for 18 holes.

It's amazing what some of these young golfers can do. The owner of the course where I work part-time has a son who is on the golf team at Seton Hall University in NJ. He is maybe a buck fifty, but can hit the ball a country mile! His short game is equally good.

I played on a Florida course with a couple of Canadians from Quebec who spoke very little English. They didn't hit it far, maybe 150-180. But right down the middle every single time! They used long irons or fairway woods for their second shots, and hit the green most of the time. Needless to say, I got my butt kicked that day.

It's amazing to see someone with that much natural talent. I think about the years it has taken for me to play something that resembles Golf.

One of the 11year old kids who came out for my golf team is a lefty, doesn't own a set of clubs and we only have right handed loaners. It didn't matter. Even right handed he took to it like a fish to water. Will probably be a bogey golfer from day 1. The other kids though he was pranking them but he swears he had never even held a club before.

This sounds like me every.single.weekend. I play off the tips against guys twice my age. I soar it past them on EVERY hole. They eventually ask me how long I've played. I say a year. They become extremely impressed. All while being stylish at the same time. It's a hard life.

Back