Lots of Opinions on "The Next Tiger"

Very true, however it was all based on an earlier post that said this.
Which is just not the case.

Smallville said:
I just showed that people in "any sport" dominated more than Eldrick.

Oh, I'm totally with you. I just think it is silly to try and compare dominance across sports. It's hard enough to compare Jack, Tiger, Palmer, Jones, Old Tom Morris, etc., since they played in different eras, against different opponents, on different courses, etc. What stats demonstrate the most supreme dominance? Total wins, major wins, percentage of wins, timing of wins, strength of field, etc.? It is sort of like those Discovery channel shows with names like, "Megalodon vs. Tyrannosaurus." I mean, I guess it's fun to get all geeked-up about, but it really makes no sense at all.:glasses-nerdy:

But how can he be the most dominant of all sports and of all time if he wasnt the most dominant. He does not have the most wins, the most majors, etc. He certainly did not win at the clip of Bill Russell. Or Fed or Steffi. I had a feeling it was a generational thing and expect that for most sports related things such as this.

Of course I'm biased because of te generation thing... I'll admit that. But I think that dominating isn't all about wins. Like I said Tiger inspired fear in his opponents like no other. He commanded attention and filled all the hype. I gues we could always just agree to disagree JB. Though I definately see your side of the argument.

I wish golf was as easy as Tapatalk.

Of course I'm biased because of te generation thing... I'll admit that. But I think that dominating isn't all about wins. Like I said Tiger inspired fear in his opponents like no other. He commanded attention and filled all the hype. I gues we could always just agree to disagree JB. Though I definately see your side of the argument.

But that is just not the case. Many athletes have brought fear, but I am guessing they are before your time. But if that is your definition of domination, then I guess Mike Tyson is ahead of Tiger too.

There are other golf sites with forums? Never bothered to find another golf forum to go to. Sounds like a waste of time.

There will never be another Tiger. Ever. There may be other great golfers, but none like Tiger. Just like there is never going to be another Jordan, Gretzky, Muhammad Ali, or Nicklaus. Those levels of greatness will never be equaled.

Couldn't agree more. Hate when people say who will be the next Jordan. There will never be another Jordan and i agree there will never be another Tiger. Dominate players will come and go just like there has been in other sports but the Tiger like Dominance will be hard to repeat.

Last edited:
But that is just not the case. Many athletes have brought fear, but I am guessing they are before your time. But if that is your definition of domination, then I guess Mike Tyson is ahead of Tiger too.

True, I would put Tyson up there as well. I also forgot to mention his clutch. He has made some of the nost clutch shots of all time (though not the #1 most clutch IMO).

Edit: The most clutch was by Gene Sarazen in the 1935 Masters. 18th hole, Par 5, down by 3. Holed out a 4 wood for double eagle to tie. Doesn't get better than that.

So after reading through all these posts, I have had a very small change of heart, and would like to sort of clarify what I was saying.

I agree with the majority that there will never be another Tiger, just as was said there will never be another Jack, Arnold, etc.
Although it is fun to watch a player like Tiger come out and simply 'run the table', it's also real fun to sit down and watch a tournament over the weekend not really knowing who will emerge as the player that weekend, and like a bunch of the tournaments this year, fun to watch them go into playoff holes because there are so many evenly matched players in the field.

I personally think there will someday be another dominant player that everyone chases, I just don't know when or who obviously. For right now though, we'll see who comes to play each week, and I'm good with that!

Back